What’s the perfect boat…?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD Ray

Vessel Name
GOML
Vessel Make
1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
6hjdob.jpg

How much does a house cost?

LOL

How long is a piece of string?

OK, I'll kick in my prior boat that for us was perfect to cruise on. We did a couple 2-week cruises with total pleasure. Longer cruises would only mean we'd have to dump the trash compactor more than once.

Beachcomber-cropped-for-CSR.jpg

Ok, now all of yas can start slinging mud at my boat.

Last edited:
Whatever boat you currently have and is making you happy.

OK, I'll kick in my prior boat that for us was perfect to cruise on. We did a couple 2-week cruises with total pleasure. Longer cruises would only mean we'd have to dump the trash compactor more than once.

Beachcomber-cropped-for-CSR.jpg

Ok, now all of yas can start slinging mud at my boat.

Mike
Beachcomber is getting love from her new owner. We saw her several times last summer, enjoying Desolation Sound, and I have walked past her shelter at RVYC Coal Harbour many times.. She is polished to an as-new shine, showing attentive ownership.
Must be "Perfect" still.

Why would you have only one? Too many different missions to be covered by only one boat. I've managed to reduce the fleet to 4, but always keeping my eye out for the next one.

Ted

When I was 17, this was the perfect boat. 14' Blue Jay (well, 13'-6" to be precise). To this day it might still be the most joy I ever had in a boat. (Not a picture of mine, just a random photo of a Blue Jay I grabbed off the net at the moment. That could have been a photo of me on CT River though, except mine was black and gold and named King Arthur.)

Attachments

• BLUEJAYjohnsailingbanzai.jpg
    BLUEJAYjohnsailingbanzai.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 23
Up until last summer the perfect boat was my brother’s boat - then he sold it.

Fortunatelly my new perfect boat is my brother-in-laws.

[emoji23]

We have had 24 perfect boats, each at their own time in our lives.

No such thing as the perfect boat. My boat is good enough for me, but not perfect. Perfection is not expected.

Attachments

• raccoon strait south.jpg
    raccoon strait south.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Depends upon the mission. All boats are compromises. Their faults maybe be endearing or endlessly annoying. Just like people. I’ve never owned a boat without lusting for another. Closest I came to no lust was with the outbound 46. It was the only boat built to my specs. Foolish economically but worth the experience. Right now in Stonington. Around me is an outbound, several picnic boats, two Cherubinis (a ketch and a schooner), a MJM, several Hinckley sailboat, a couple of one offs including one setup for a mini trans, several glorious bright work woodies, several nordic tugs of different sizes. I want them ALL.

I agree that there's no perfect boat. Everything is a compromise in one way or another.

I can't say my current boat is any bit perfect (there are plenty of things I'd change about it if I could just snap my fingers and make it so). But I know that at least for what we're doing now, it's about the right size. When we're traveling, it's not uncommon for me to wish for another few feet of waterline for speed (without having to get on plane and watch the fuel gauges drop) and for a better pitching motion in a head sea. And I sometimes wish for a 3rd stateroom that we could convert into an office.

But when we're just out for a day or weekend, the boat feels almost too big at times. So feeling both ways I know it's at least in the right ballpark for size. And it fits into any harbor or other place we actually want to go in our current cruising grounds, so I know it's not actually too big.

Everyone's perfect boat is different depending on personal preferences, where you cruise, and what you do when aboard. There are boats that clearly resonate with buyers: the classic Grand Banks come to mind. It isn't often the same design can be used for decades. The Bayliner 45/47 and Meridian 49 (rebrand) were and remain hugely popular at least in the PNW because they check a number of boxes. Most production boats are designed to appeal to a broad market. The 'perfect' boat for many of us would require a custom build!

The next one.....

Originally Posted by ofer
i have the perfect boat..

if she was made from fiberglass, have stabilizers, a queen bed in the master and another 12" in the engine room.

Thats all

Mon. action:- Moved from another thread as requested.

No such thing as the perfect boat. My boat is good enough for me, but not perfect. Perfection is not expected.

You know Cap'n, I've seen pictures of your engine room and it is Mighty Fine. Coot is a gem... although Seaweed is my favorite.

Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Yeah, that's good enough - :)

Bob i was on the nw explorations dock in Bellingham last summer and Puffin was for sale right there. spent some time poking around and my friend and i agreed repeatedly that it was perfect for him. Loved it. Sold. To you, apparently! Glad you like it.

Mike
Beachcomber is getting love from her new owner. We saw her several times last summer, enjoying Desolation Sound, and I have walked past her shelter at RVYC Coal Harbour many times.. She is polished to an as-new shine, showing attentive ownership.
Must be "Perfect" still.

Thanks for the info, Keith. I have never before missed a boat like I miss Beachcomber and have often wondered where she is and how she's being treated. It's nice to know they are taking good care of her.

Bob i was on the nw explorations dock in Bellingham last summer and Puffin was for sale right there. spent some time poking around and my friend and i agreed repeatedly that it was perfect for him. Loved it. Sold. To you, apparently! Glad you like it.

Yep!

Every time I get back from a boat show or "Trawlerfest" I appreciate my boat more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom