What’s in a name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yarradeen

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Yarradeen
Vessel Make
Harriscraft 48
TF'ers I have a story to share.

This weekend we have been visiting family for a wedding in south Australia, a town is only about 45 mins from the first working port of our vessel Port Broughton. Not much of a port just a town with 1100 people and a commercial fishing jetty.

From my research and documentation from previous owners we had determined that while the original owner of the vessel has since sold out his brother has taken over the family fishing company started by his father and continues to this day.

That’s a bit of background, as we walked to the end of the jetty a commercial boat was tied up. Couple of men working on board doing some Fibre glassing on a fishing esky.

“Have a Chat” that’s my wife the outgoing one of the team struck up a conversation with one of the guys. Ends up he is brother who continued the business. Had a nice chat about the history of My boat Yarradeen, discovered they drove it on its own bottom from Perth, Western Australia to Port Broughton as the maiden cruise before it started its working life. They worked it for about 5 years before selling to a fisherman in Portland Victoria.
In the past we have wondered what the name of my boat meant. Googling never turned up anything other than registration information on the ASMA website. Well it turns out it was named after a fishing location called Yarraville Shoals and His Father Dean. Still not sure why it has Deen spelt with a ee. That mystery remains.

I have attached a review of the boat from a commercial fishing magazine I was given.

Turns out the relatives we are visiting are related as my wife’s cousin partner sister is married to one other brothers of the founder Dean. Also, it was discovered uncle was mates with a brother of Dean.

So, I know of 4 of the 5 previous owners.

Owner 1 1996 Built as crab boat working South Australia.

Owner 2 (Unknown) 2000 Move to Portland Victoria continued as commercial registration.

2006 Taken out of Survey and Sold to Peter who trucked it 5000km across the Nullarbor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullarbor_Plain). I meet Peter one day while the boat was on the hard he was eating lunch at close restaurant and he spotted it. Kindly he provided photos of its conversion from fishing life to recreational use. Unfortunately, his business suffered with the GFC and he had to let her go in 2009

The new owner, we find out when we are in the purchase process, is a stepfather of a close friend of both of my teenage daughters.

It passed thru one more owner and some more significant boat bucks before I spied her sitting in a pen (slip) with a for sale sign.

That’s where my history with her starts.

Attachments

• DSC08124.jpg
    DSC08124.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2748.jpg
    IMG_2748.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 54
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 55
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg