What’s “near coastal”in BC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
Curious about the “near coastal” regs for the USCG master’s experience requirement. It references “Ocean” waters, for example not being a bay.

Would by stretch the PNW cruising grounds from San Juan’s to Alaska count?

“The definition of “coastal waters” is contained in 33 C.F.R. § 175.105(b). “Coastal waters” includes the waters of the Great Lakes, the territorial seas of the United States, and:
Those waters directly connected to the Great Lakes and territorial seas (i.e., bays, sounds, harbors, rivers, inlets, etc.) where any entrance exceeds 2 nautical miles between opposite shorelines to the first point where the largest distance between shorelines narrows to 2 miles, as shown on the current edition of the appropriate National Ocean Service chart used for navigation. Shorelines of islands or points of land present within a waterway are considered when determining the distance between opposite shorelines.”

If I read this right, it would only count if the body of water is wider and longer than 2 nm. So I would think for example Juan de Fuca would count as would Georgia Strait. They are wider than 2 nm and connect to the territorial seas of the US.

I could easily be wrong however.

That definition is in the context of safety equipment requirements.

For licensing, I believe it's all about whether you are inside or outside of the "Boundary Line". See https://www.dco.uscg.mil/CG-ENG-2/BoundaryLine/

Based on the actual definition, operation anywhere outside the US is also outside the Boundary Line.

Just an anecdotal comment on obtaining a 100 ton Master's License.

We have good friends who are long time boaters who live in Seattle and are SYC members. They both obtained their 100 ton Master's License (a year or so ago) using their sea time from pleasure boating with the vast majority of their time being north of Puget Sound. They spend a most of their time in BC including having gone multiple times to the Gulf Islands, Desolation Sound, the Broughtons, and the Central and Northern BC coast. They have also circumnavigated Vancouver Island, gone to Haida Gwaii, and spent time in SE Alaska (2 trips I think). This time must have counted as they were successful in obtaining the certification.

Just an anecdotal comment on obtaining a 100 ton Master's License.

We have good friends who are long time boaters who live in Seattle and are SYC members. They both obtained their 100 ton Master's License (a year or so ago) using their sea time from pleasure boating with the vast majority of their time being north of Puget Sound. They spend a most of their time in BC including having gone multiple times to the Gulf Islands, Desolation Sound, the Broughtons, and the Central and Northern BC coast. They have also circumnavigated Vancouver Island, gone to Haida Gwaii, and spent time in SE Alaska (2 trips I think). This time must have counted as they were successful in obtaining the certification.

The time counts either way. It will just impact the operating range for your ticket. Inland is the default range. Then you need a certain number of days outside the "boundary line" to qualify for "near coastal", and yet more to qualify for "oceans". And the exact number of days required goes up as your tonnage goes up.

Near coastal Capatins license always was up to 200 NM from shore. Not sure if that has been changed in the last few years. I Think it was 100 NM for the "Operators" Licenses.

Near coastal Capatins license always was up to 200 NM from shore. Not sure if that has been changed in the last few years. I Think it was 100 NM for the "Operators" Licenses.

I believe that's still the case. So to get a Near Coastal license you need time outside the Boundary line, and once you have the license you can operate up to 200 NM off shore. I'm not sure about the OUPV.

Back
Top Bottom