Whales and Offshore Windmills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Benthic,

I agree. If I could only ask on question on a high school graduation exam, it would be “When you flip the switch why do the lights come on?”. Come to think of it, that might be a good interview question to ask a potential employee.

Tom

For most of my life I could answer that question confidently with hydro, steam (nuclear, biomass and coal) or wind turbine electrical generation, step up and step down transmission to the home, electrical circuits to the switch using incandescent, neon, fluorescent, HID or arc lights.

But these days with PV generation and LED emitters, I'm not so sure I could. Guess I have to study up on semi-conductors.

I usually just ask how a refrigerator or microwave works. They're common everyday stumpers.

For most of my life I could answer that question confidently with hydro, steam (nuclear, biomass and coal) or wind turbine electrical generation, step up and step down transmission to the home, electrical circuits to the switch using incandescent, neon, fluorescent, HID or arc lights.

But these days with PV generation and LED emitters, I'm not so sure I could. Guess I have to study up on semi-conductors.

I usually just ask how a refrigerator or microwave works. They're common everyday stumpers.

I bet you wonder if the light in the fridge is on all the time. :D

Wait...what?:facepalm:
With the door closed,I`ve never seen it on . Fog was so thick recently I could not see my hand placed behind my back either.

Remember the brief conversation buried in another thread on dead whales washing ashore in NJ, and the theory that the project to build offshore windmills was the root cause?

Well, just maybe that trend is ending.

Ignore any brief mentions on political slant. Not the point. It contains interesting info on the technical challenges in the mechanical gear.

https://www.zerohedge.com/weather/wind-power-makers-suffer-huge-losses-want-abandon-major-project

There is a place for this Stupid White Trash BS….

Pure BS and politics, but most politics are BS.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom