Old 01-14-2016, 07:10 AM   #21
FF
Guru

Having had both styles I prefer the KCDS (keel cooled dry stack) by about 10-1.

Insulated double wall pipe (fire place store) with a SS exhaust inside works great , Only hassle is capturing heat to use in a wet locker.

A "Hospital critical" muffler makes it as quiet as most autos .

Soot , unburned fuel can be from an underloaded or overloaded engine , fix the prop.

IN SW Fl the lack of a seawater pump is great as the thin water is sandy, which eats impellers.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #22
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Wet vs dry exhaust

Yeah, Darrell Cottle with Jay Bettis Yacht Sales in Clear Lake has the listing. I met him back before I bought this boat and have been talking to him off and on since, and he wanted to list it.

I have mixed emotions about listing it. It's such an interesting boat-- easy to single hand, and everything is up to date. It's almost like a new boat. I know I won't find anything this new near this price range, but I have a crazy dream in my head.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:28 AM   #23
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I have mixed emotions about listing it. It's such an interesting boat-- easy to single hand, and everything is up to date. It's almost like a new boat. I know I won't find anything this new near this price range, but I have a crazy dream in my head.

Haven't you only done about one trip in it? One season? Found to be unsuitable? Or...?

-Chris
Old 01-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #24
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Wet vs dry exhaust

5' itis I guess.

The best explanation I can come up with is I'm a used car dealer and I'm constantly buying and selling something.

I did the trip back from Fort Lauderdale to Rockport, and made a side trip to Key West with the family.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:36 AM   #25
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
I know the feeling and it is an interesting boat. I remember looking at it on YW several times before you bought it. It probably won't get you a Nordy but should make a nice down payment. Good luck on finding a good buyer.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #26
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
5' itis I guess.

Oh, THAT!

Yeah, been there. Although not quite that quickly.

And we decided to jump 9' instead of a mere 2, or 3, or 5 or whatever. Thought we might as well eliminate some of the middlemen, so to speak.

-Chris
Old 01-15-2016, 10:08 PM   #27
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorenm View Post
Nordhavn are big proponents of the dry exhaust and presumably after all this time have gotten pretty good at it. However, I do know that they will build wet exhaust to customer preference (I think Ken Williams Sans Souci has a wet exhaust..). Personally, I would be more concerned about a poorly engineered exhaust wet or dry than a tested well designed of either.
I'm not sure what the exact portions are, but Nordhavn does build a lot of wet exhaust boats. I think all the twin engine boats are wet exhaust, and many single engine boats are too. In both cases I think they are all well engineered and well built. The trade-offs, in my opinion, still apply to both approaches, and assume both systems are well implemented.

So I really think it's 6 of one, or 1/2 dozen the other. And there is no way I'd try to convert one to the other. I'd just accept it's properties and move on.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:28 PM   #28
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
After having both wet and dry, I'd pick dry all day. I just like not having to deal with heat exchangers, zincs, those big sea strainers, etc.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:14 AM   #29
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
My aluminum boat has a hollow keel and the keel cooler lives in there. When I bought the boat it had a 6" stainless pipe from the 6CTA 8.3 engine all the way to the sky - no muffler. It was one noisy sucker. Tore it all apart, new pipe from the turbo to the new hospital-rated muffler (4' long and about 12" in diameter) nicely wrapped everything and she is very quiet, the engine makes more noise inside than the exhaust. You can use resonators to get it quieter but not needed here. No soot.

Also, the oil coolers use coolant from the circuit, no salt water at all.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:47 AM   #30

City: Southern Baltic
Vessel Name: Sømarken
Vessel Model: AMS 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
My aluminum boat has a hollow keel and the keel cooler lives in there. When I bought the boat it had a 6" stainless pipe from the 6CTA 8.3 engine all the way to the sky - no muffler. It was one noisy sucker. Tore it all apart, new pipe from the turbo to the new hospital-rated muffler (4' long and about 12" in diameter) nicely wrapped everything and she is very quiet, the engine makes more noise inside than the exhaust. You can use resonators to get it quieter but not needed here. No soot.

Also, the oil coolers use coolant from the circuit, no salt water at all.

We've had a similar configuration on our former boat (steel). Cooling water circuit contained 800 liter (210 us gal) of coolant.
Never had any issues, nothing to worry about (seacock open or closed? impeller to be changed? no seawater in the ER at all. )
And never felt that the exhaust was too noisy

best regards / med venlig hilsen
wadden
Old 01-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #31

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Our N62 Nordhavn is somewhat unique,,, keel cooled, wet exhaust.
Best of both worlds in my opinion.

As you can see though,,, there are many opinions/experiences out there,,, and they all make sense. You just have to individually choose which keeps your powder dry.

However, my final input,,,If I ever get to build a N76, it will be twin engined, keel cooled, wet exhaust.
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #32
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I like the keeled cooled system, just dont understand going wet exhaust. You still have all of the things that most folks dont like, raw water pump, rubber and fiberglass, saltwater. I dont get it. The ONLY reason for dry exhaust/keel cooling is, IMO, on a pleasure boat, to get rid of the saltwater and associated pumps/plumbing.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #33
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
I like the keeled cooled system, just dont understand going wet exhaust. You still have all of the things that most folks dont like, raw water pump, rubber and fiberglass, saltwater. I dont get it. The ONLY reason for dry exhaust/keel cooling is, IMO, on a pleasure boat, to get rid of the saltwater and associated pumps/plumbing.

Not so.
The P.O. told me he had flooded several engines on previous boats backing down when fishing and said never again. His problem was not the heat exchanger/plumbing setup.
The boat was intended as a planing boat so the keel cooler was not practical. When the hulls were fitted out as actual fishing boats, trollers or gill netters, they usually did have the keel coolers.
I got the boat when they realized they didn't install enough HP and it could not achieve the speed they wanted so they sold it.
I run it at between 7 & 8 knots. They wanted ~14-15.

Some other vessels did get those speeds but with at least another 75 hp and in one case big time mods. to the keel and hull.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #34
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
After working and running dry stack boats and living and traveling on a wet exhaust boat I prefer the dry stack a heck of a lot more the space one gives up for the dry stack rising from the ER to the stack is negligible compared to the benefit for the engine.

The engine does not know if it's running on a tractor, a truck or in a boat in the dry stack configuration and as has been stated before the keel cooling works very well.

The negatives of covering the exhaust with a sock to stop rain entering the stack after use, as well as soot blowing to other boats upon start up is so minor compared to the benefits........

Go dry any day
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:53 PM   #35
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
Go dry any day
So when will you convert your DeFever to dry stack?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #36
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
So when will you convert your DeFever to dry stack?

Not soon is my guess

http://www.curtisstokes.net/trawler-...takes-two.html

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:45 AM   #37
FF
Guru

You still have all of the things that most folks dont like,"

THE BIG THING TO NOT LIKE IS THE DANGER OF FLOODING THE ENGINE

How many folks carry at least 3 engine oil changes , so a flooded engine can be brought back into service?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
You still have all of the things that most folks dont like,"

THE BIG THING TO NOT LIKE IS THE DANGER OF FLOODING THE ENGINE

How many folks carry at least 3 engine oil changes , so a flooded engine can be brought back into service?
Geez FF, with millions of wet exhaust vessels out there at least a few figured out a century ago how to make wet exhaust systems work right. How many sailboats do you see with dry exhaust, the very vessels you, I and many have chosen for blue water work.

The dry exhaust requirement from the commercial side serves a very different need - continually variable waterline.

On a pleasure craft either way can work. On a dry exhaust system in the tropics one better have lots of ER cooling fan capacity. And then there is soot. I've heard many dry exhaust boat owners say soot isn't an issue for them - then I tour their top sides. Ugh. Know a Nordhavn owner who ripped out his dry stacked Series 60 as it was a real sooter. Replaced it with a JD with much less soot, but not zero.

Dry stack on a larger high end pleasure craft is non existent, why is that? For those with 60 something Ns forgive me.

So Dude, dream away. That million dollar plus N can be found with dry stack, but even Nordhavn has trouble explaining why they are superior. Their new CP 59, the Fleming fighter, is wet exhaust of course. Could you imagine the Fleming boys pointing out a stack on the CP 59?
Old 01-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #39
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
To me a big deal is having just a little bit of "stack talk". Call me weird, whatever. On one DS I set up I got the muffler just right and you could hear the engine note. A diesel running at low rpm makes a pleasant tone.

On another with a DD we put what we thought was a good muffler and that thing was still too damn loud. Running at hull speed, it was ear muff time on the back deck, and even in the pilot house unless pilot house doors were shut. Owner did not want to revisit the muffler so it is what it is. DD's are notoriously hard to make quiet, and that one was a 4-53 which is worst of the worst.

On my boat I went with wet, and did the best job I could do building the water lift muffler. Well I get zero "stack talk", if you can call it that with wet. I know that Cummins at 950 really sounds good from other boats with lesser mufflers, and I can't hear anything!!

We do have a couple SF boats with straight pipes, one has two of my same engine. It sounds great. For about five minutes, then it is like a Harley. Too dang loud. But sounds great barking the motors while maneuvering. Fun!! But a long run at 2100 and I'm looking for ear muffs.

Wet exhaust just reminds me of some animal with severe gastronomic distress. But for most boats it is more practical.

Driving a Camry is also practical, but where's the coolness factor there??
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Driving a Camry is also practical, but where's the coolness factor there??
Well Ski, I've been told driving a non noise Tesla is cool too.