Wet exhaust elbow Northern Lights Lugger 753K

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
First let me say that I have a hunch that given I have three different topics I would like some learned and experienced input on I’m gonna post all three separately. If that is somehow a problem would a moderator please let me know?
So….. my wife and I are on a shakedown cruise on our new to us Grand Banks 42 Trawler with the above generator. After a little use noticed quite a bit of water coming from the bilge so I went below and saw the tray under the generator was full and overflowing. It appeared to be coming from the aft end of the generator so I shut things down to take a look. The pictures show what I have found. A kind gentleman at the dock told me the generator I have is notorious for needing replacement exhaust elbows. The pictures confirm that is needed but I’m also wondering if I should replace the wet exhaust hose at the same time? I’m also wondering if Northern Lights sells direct or if I should try to find a distributor? Lastly it looks like something I could and need to learn how to do myself however I see some wiring which I suspect is for a low water alarm sensor and I’m not sure how high should deal with disconnecting that.

Attachments

• 583CC1DE-7CCA-465B-AD38-613BDE5BACB5.jpg
    583CC1DE-7CCA-465B-AD38-613BDE5BACB5.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 61F5CDAC-DE2F-4AB8-87FC-3321C926B73A.jpg
    61F5CDAC-DE2F-4AB8-87FC-3321C926B73A.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 30
Contact HDI Marine in Vancouver WA 360 824 0800. The have the exhaust elbow you need in 316 cast stainless steel. The hose material on my 753 was very stiff so I replaced when installing a new elbow.

I am in the middle of this right now.
You can call Northern Lights direct in Seattle (206-789-3880) and Scott will help you identify what you need. Then he will turf you to Richard next door at his dealer and he will ship you the parts to wherever you need them. It is pretty slick. I was doing this from Mexico.
It will be good to have your model number handy and also good to have a parts manual handy which has the exploded diagram of the cooling group.
The little sensor is high exhaust water temp alarm I think.
Good luck with your project. My elbow was totally destroyed after 14 years upon startup after a layup for a few months.
I am not changing the exhaust hose though most would likely recommend that you do.

Bill

What post #2 said. Go with Stainless steel. You will find it less expensive then the factory. I just went through that drill.

+ 1 on #2. Less expensive, higher quality, and will last far longer. Yes, NL genset have a rep for corroded and leaking exhaust elbows. I know one big dealer in the PNW that just replaces them with SS before they go out the door so they don't come back.

Replace it with stainless and you won’t have to worry about it for a few years. HDI makes a very nice part and it is lower priced than factory.

Having a spare is a good idea if you travel in remote areas, but they rarely give up without some warning. You will typically get a rust spot on the outside of the elbow that indicates it is in the process of rusting through from the inside.

Exhaust elbows rust out on all brands of gens. Heat and saltwater will do that. I’m 7 years into the original elbows on my two NL gens (5,000 hrs between them). I’ve been carrying around a spare but haven’t needed it yet.

The replacement unit for model 843N I got direct from NL was stainless cast and was $345.
Is that expensive?

From HDI in investment cast 316, $230. So, yeah, relatively.

1. Your exhaust hose is shot! Yes replace.
2. replace elbow. SS is better.
3 Sensor is a switch, It simply treads into the Elbow. Try to disassemble first. If you cannot get it out or it breaks , simply replace. You cannot torch them out you will ruin it. I would replace. you will have to cut the leads.
4 . use all new hose clamps. the Scandvik Stainless Steel Hose Clamp is a better clamp or use a t bolt clamp 2 per side of the hose.
5. with what i am seeing in the pic. Give that genset a good once over. Check all the other soft hosing and replace as needed. If you see cracking, cords, or raised coils from the wire inside. Replace the hose.

Thank you

I appreciate your perspective and recommendations. Interestingly, I talked with a couple of people more experienced than me regarding generators and developed a list of replacement parts I should order before we begin our trip. I got numerous spares but didn’t think nor have anyone else recommend that I do a spare elbow. In just the two weeks since I ordered and received my spares, it now seems that would have been a good idea from the start.

Thank you again

As a minimum replace the hose between the elbow and the muffler. How old is it?

I have the M673D genny and purchased a new 316 SS elbow from HDI.
Any tips on how to get the inside bolts that are covered with white paint ?
Spare parts are cheap and easy to store, impellers, belts, hoses, etc...

Not sure what yours looks like. I had to get a box wrench and grind a section out to get to one of the bolts. Turned it 1/4 turn at a time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom