wet bilge solutions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
My 38' Marine Trader has a fairly wide, flat bilge. A typical bilge pump can't pump it dry, so there is always shallow, standing water down there. I see Arid Bilge Systems has a $1,000 solution for this problem. Or, I suppose I could go down there with a shop vac once a week, but it would be nice to have an easier solution. Any suggestions?

Stop the leaks, vacuum the bilge, or learn to live with a little water.

Positive displacement pumps, like diaphragm pumps, act like a vacuum to a degree. Should get rid of more water than typical submergable centrifugal pumps.

My 38' Marine Trader has a fairly wide, flat bilge. A typical bilge pump can't pump it dry, so there is always shallow, standing water down there. I see Arid Bilge Systems has a $1,000 solution for this problem. Or, I suppose I could go down there with a shop vac once a week, but it would be nice to have an easier solution. Any suggestions?

Discover where water enters, decide whether you can fix that.

One entryway may be you shaft(s). There are dripless shaft seals, and I've also read that Gore shaft packing can be adjusted to pretty near dripless.

-Chris

More likely, if you dont have below waterline leaks - topside leaks. Bilge water salt or fresh?

I have a bit of the latter - after more work than I care to think about. Secondary - I keep an air mover (carpet dryer) running 24/7 with the forward deck plate open. Directed into the bilge. Even in the humid Gulf, it will dry out that last 1/4 - 1/8" (if it's there) in 24-36 hours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom