Western Rivers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Also interesting the bridge tender gave the sailboats the nod as he is usually on demand for commercial traffic but not necessarily for the rest of us.

My understanding is that so-called "Western Rivers" are located between the Rocky and Appalachian Mountains and don't include territories and rivers west of the Rockies.

It is a misleading term after the settlement of the Mexican-American War when the USA acquired territory west of the Rockies.

Last edited:
It is a defined legal term:

From Rule 3 of the Navigation Rules:

(n) Western Rivers means the Mississippi River, its tributaries, South Pass, and
Southwest Pass, to the navigational demarcation lines dividing the high seas
from harbors, rivers, and other inland waters of the United States, and the Port
Allen-Morgan City Alternate Route, and that part of the Atchafalaya River
above its junction with the Port Allen-Morgan City Alternate Route including
the Old River and the Red River.

Last edited:
So I guess the area west of the Rockies would be called the extreme western river’s Eh? Cuz they are some pretty good sized rivers. If not for all those darn Dam’s, heck ya only drop almost a thousand feet to get to Sea Level. Been there, done that!

When people speak of the Mississippi they just say so. Read about it in the test prep texts but rarely heard anyone use the term Western Rivers. My mental image was the Missouri and connected waters. Don't know how usable those waterways really are or how interesting they would be for recreational use. At some time, for some boats, canoes maybe, it may have been possible to use the rivers from Montana on down to the Gulf.

There were some ROR specific to some Western Rivers.

I could see going up into Arkansas past Hot Springs if it was doable. Ouachita River? Doubt it.

Last edited:
So, Columbia, Snake, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Colorado, and many Alaskan rivers are not "Western Rivers."

As usual, semantics enters our TF loves. Not so confused, fortunately, on this issue was Thomas Jefferson. He sent a group of first class voyagers to map, explore and chronicle the western rivers starting in St Louis. AKA the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Who gives a crap...just read and follow the Navrules......the definition and limits are there and the exceptions for those rivers clearly spelled out.

Heck, there are local rules all over the map that 99.9% of recreational boaters don't know about and never follow.

When cruising...if you don't do a lot of homework, I will bet you have blown off some rules/regs at some point.

Last edited:
All opinions are warmly welcomed - thank you very much.

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/s...ompletes-rare-source-sea-canoe-trip/93120554/

The so-called “Source-to-Sea” water route began at Brower’s Spring, Montana, the ultimate source of the Missouri River, and ended at the Gulf of Mexico, a distance of 3,800 miles.
Laurie’s adventure started April 29 in the snow and ended Oct. 23 in the sand, a total of 178 days counting down time for rest, bad weather and repairs. Nearly six months following the paddle strokes of Lewis and Clark, Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer.

Just guessing, the term Western Rivers made a lot more sense for a short while, many years ago. I was looking at some other loosely related stuff about the west. Didn't realize that OK, NM and AZ became states that recently, in the early 1900s. Things changed fast.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom