Old 03-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
needed flares this week...WM $29 and new. other stores 1yr old flares, and $39.

it is what it is.....
There is no one that is always best in inventory or prices. That leaves people with two choices. 1-Patronize the store that serves their needs best and accept that on some things they may have to wait or may not get the lowest price unless the store price matches. 2-Shop many stores and sites and decide individually on each purchase going to considerable effort to get the best deals.

I had an aunt who went grocery shopping every Friday night. She went to at least three stores, working from the newspaper ads for the week so she paid the lowest price and got all the specials. All I remember is when I was at her house on Fridays nearly starving while waiting for her to get home from grocery shopping. Did she save money? Probably even after the extra mileage if one doesn't put a cost on her time her husband's time.

I've always tried to find someone I liked patronizing and giving the majority of my business to. We purchase OEM and from manufacturers and from a local wholesaler. However, if I wasn't doing that, the West Marine price match would make me very likely to buy everything from them.

A couple of you mentioned Port Supply. Recently a yacht manager friend of mine was shocked that WM would not provide any port supply discount on YETI products. Have you encountered that on other products?

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #42
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
speaking of west marine has anyone got an opinion of this.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmi...mo-_-N/A-_-N/A

timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #43
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
speaking of west marine has anyone got an opinion of this.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmi...mo-_-N/A-_-N/A
I've been watching this, and it's one of the better prices I've seen yet. WM actually had it for $10 less a while ago, but it's still about the best price you're going to see. Very close to what you can get it for on eBay today, and far less risky.

It's almost identical to my 740s, with the addition of WiFi, video input and Active Captain data display. I would love to upgrade but just can't seem to justify it right now. Otherwise I'd jump on it!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #44
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
West Marine's price matching policy has eased up considerably. My local West Marine has matched Defenders online Miami boat show sale prices. One item was not in stock so they shipped it to my house for free! Making it cost less than buying at the Defender Sale.

I think West Marine is moving in the right Direction!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #45

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
.............. I think West Marine is moving in the right Direction!
I hope so because I like to have somewhere to go when I need boating supplies today.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #46
Guru

City: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I have a Port Supply card so I have access to more than West Marine.
WM does give me a discount but not always as great as other suppliers.
I also have a Port Supply card but haven't found any other stores that honor it.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #47
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwboater View Post
I get the sentiment, but truthfully, I gladly pay extra $$ on those days when I'm desperate for an item to complete the project. Like everyone, I now do my shopping online--but I also support WM because I NEED them to be there for me! Plus, the Anacortes store is less than a mile from my boat :-)) I say give them some slack.

This is my sentiment as well (and one that Iíve expressed repeatedly here).

My Sonís generation doesnít get it. He and his would rather save a buck ordering from even the slimiest operator today, and not worry about maybe needing that brick and mortar operation in the future. I donít mind spending a little more to keep the local chandler, or even my local West Marine.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #48
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I also have a Port Supply card but haven't found any other stores that honor it.
Boat Owner's Warehouse

What city are you close to?
Old 03-03-2018, 01:21 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
No one else would. Port Supply is part of West Marine
Old 03-03-2018, 01:23 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Boat Owner's Warehouse

What city are you close to?
BOW honors it but not based on it being theirs. Competitor honoring.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
BOW honors it but not based on it being theirs. Competitor honoring.
Make a note: In 2 months I will be back in the Ft Lauderdale area and I will scrounge up the name and address of the place that sells to BOW IF you remind me.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Make a note: In 2 months I will be back in the Ft Lauderdale area and I will scrounge up the name and address of the place that sells to BOW IF you remind me.
I'll save you the effort. D. S. Hull Company. They are the same company. BOW honors Hull discounts and pricing. Also, the owner has a company, Yacht Equipment and Parts.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
I'll save you the effort. D. S. Hull Company. They are the same company. BOW honors Hull discounts and pricing. Also, the owner has a company, Yacht Equipment and Parts.
and one more in the same neighborhood a ways back from the restaurant
Old 03-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
and one more in the same neighborhood a ways back from the restaurant
Another name for Yacht Equipment and Parts, BOW Worldwide Yacht Supply. A couple of decades ago this all came out of Cable Marine and some employees buying this operation.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:21 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Another name for Yacht Equipment and Parts, BOW Worldwide Yacht Supply. A couple of decades ago this all came out of Cable Marine and some employees buying this operation.
Cable Marine is a fantastic organization. They reworked the bow thruster of my Nordhavn, increasing the HP and changing out the prop to make if more useful. Plus did a bit of electronic work for me too.
I would recommend them without hesitation. They have at least 2 yards in the Ft Lauderdale area.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:23 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Cable Marine is a fantastic organization. They reworked the bow thruster of my Nordhavn, increasing the HP and changing out the prop to make if more useful. Plus did a bit of electronic work for me too.
I would recommend them without hesitation. They have at least 2 yards in the Ft Lauderdale area.
Cable is well respected. Two yards.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #57
Guru

Port Supply, West Marine
DS Hull, Boat Owners Warehouse

Interesting as both have a wholesale entity and retail stores. West Marine has relabeled things as West Marine Pro and not really a separate entity now as much as just discount pricing. The discount is all a matter of what level they classify you though. Seems yards at a lower level, yacht managers at a mid level. Port Supply was highly regarded by yacht managers and yards. West Marine Pro less so. As a result some rebuilding needs to happen there too. Thing is that they don't wholesale all products so there are products so can be confusing.

DS Hull offers a single wholesale pricing that includes yards and yacht managers. Typically they are less than West Marine Pro/Port Supply. Therefore in South Florida they have the business of yacht management companies and yards over West. Now, of course, they aren't local to most of the country so lose elsewhere.

So, in South Florida we'll talk Hull/BOW vs. West but it's not relevant to most areas. It's like those in CT talking Defender's store. Well, it's just one store.

Some areas have local chandler's and some of those are very good. HopCar is a great example. A lot in the PNW. However, most areas of the country either don't have them or the ones they have are not really very good.

We're not West Marine Shoppers, but I am a WM supporter. I hope they make the moves to be successful. I believe the boating community of the country greatly needs them and can benefit from their presence. There isn't another choice nationwide. I'm impressed by two moves. One is the aggressive price matching and the other is the re-evaluation of their product mix. I hope these things work for them.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #58
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Their prices are higher, but WM and the local stores have always been fair with me.

I confess to using Amazon a lot, but Brick and mortar stores are handy as others have noted so I use them whenever possible. Amazon has its issues including a fake pair of Hobie sunglasses I once received.

I don’t recognize the world we live in from 30 years ago.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #59
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
West Marine Amazon Price Match

Iíve found that some items sold on Amazon with the free shipping (i.e. Amazon Prime), end up being less at other sites even after the shipping, so it pays to shop around.

I get what I can at ďWestern MarineĒ (no affiliation with West Marine) and itís generally competitive locally. Other stuff (like Sac anodes, etc.) I get mail order from the US and sent to Point Roberts.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:55 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
I confess to using Amazon a lot, but Brick and mortar stores are handy as others have noted so I use them whenever possible..
We use Amazon far less than we once did. Others have stepped up. The advantage of Amazon was delivery. Well, you can get same day or next day office supplies from Office Depot, Walmart matches all Amazon's delivery, you can get Costco delivery with Instacart. Google delivers from Bed, Bath and Beyond but then they also offer free delivery and 20% discounts for $29.99 a year.

In my opinion, the trend is actually toward online sales from stores with Brick and Mortar. It may be too late, but in my opinion if Sear or JC Penney wanted to save themselves it would be to have all stores online and delivery from your local store on online orders at no cost and either same day or next day. We have all store inventories online and deliver from all.

I think adding the ability to actually communicate with the person pulling your order is a huge advantage too. It's like having a personal shopper.

Grocers have it right now. Especially Albertsons/Safeway, etc. Deliver from the store. They failed years ago with central warehouses as that just added cost. They also use store inventory online. That's who we think is on the right path.

Amazon knows the flaws in their system are now exposed. They're seeing the results of what is now a very impersonal customer service and the lack of physical presence.