Old 06-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #1

City: Stillwater. Minnesota
West coast Willards

Eric and others, there are 3 west coast Willards on Craig’s list, a motor sailer in Seattle for 30+ k, another in LA for 19k, and the 3rd in SF, a Trawler for 20 k, Eric what can you tell me about each of them from a layout and are there things to be concerned about. I like both of the units from the “look” perspective. If the beam is only 10’6” over width permits would be pretty easy to obtain, Need to find a trailer. Thanks again for all of your advice.
Chuckd Stillwater mn
Chuckd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
HaHa that’s a large pallet.

The Voyager is my favorite as a cruiser. Then the Nomad.
The biggest thing is old engines. I say to others “why buy a 40 yr old engine when there’s newer ones”. But people regularly do that. I say take a close look at the newer engine installation and if good definitely go w newer.
Check the aft bulkhead (between the engine and the lazerette). The prop shaft goes into the stern tube on the fwd side on the laz bulkhead. What you’re checking for is evidence that the corrosion in the ballast hasn’t pushed the bulkhead into a curve. The steel punchings and concrete ballast can do a lot of damage to the hull.
Then #2 is re fuel tanks. If they are still good it probably won’t be long before leaking and needing to be replaced. Find a boat w that done.
Check for water damage in the cabin and all the other usual things one checks when buying a old trawler. Realize that you won’t be cruising at hull speed but one knot lower. 5.5 to 6.2 knots is typical for the W30.
Good to find one w hydraulic steering.
Find the old Willard Owners Group on Yahoo. Consult w Weebles .. a member on TF. He has greater knowledge than I. He w/is the #1 moderator on that site.
Or PM me by clicking on the avatar and talk to me over anything you’d rather not put on the board.
Boat hunting is fun. Enjoy

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Here's a 30 Willard Voyager for $43,000 that looks in decent shape in British Columbia.

https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for...itish-columbia
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
There were about 150 W30s produced in the 1970s and early 1980s in five models

Voyager, a pilot house version with full width salon

Nomad, a sedan version with flybridge and side decks

Searcher, sort of a pilot house with flybridge and drop down salon and side decks

Horizon, a motorsailer that sort of looked like the searcher but with a fairly short sailing rig

8-ton cutter, a heavy displacement sailboat similar to a westsail 32. Wm Crealock , of Pacific Seacraft Fame, apparently was a draftsman for Willard and did the adaptation that includes a bolt on keel.

In the mid 1980s, a Mk II version was introduced which was roughly similar to the nomad sedan, but tooling was entirely changed. Around 1999, one of the last W30s built - a newer PH style boat powered by a yanmar, went from Zimmerman yard in the Chesapeake to Bermuda and back with Steve D'Antonio aboard for the trip to Bermuda. These are capable little boats though not sure how I feel about stunt trips like these.

All the early W30s were powered by a 50hp Perkins, either a 4.107 in the early ones, or a 4.108 later. They carried about 100g of diesel and 100g of water. Hull was one piece hand laid fiberglass. Deck and house is half inch fiberglass that is effectively a mold-in-place for about 1/4" - 3/8" fiberglass roving. Interior is utilitarian teak plywood with some molded fiberglass components. Caprails are 5/4" teak, though earlier ones are a bit thicker than older ones

They also carried concrete ballast with steel punching as Eric said, though the concrete was relatively hard and well cast. If there is no sign of long term water intrusion, the ballast should be fine. Fuel tanks are saddle tanks on either side of the engine and suffer from same problems as most boats: water intrusion. Rust is a problem in older boats in general and Willards are no different.

Willard owners are a dedicated lot. Prone to DIY upgrades and repairs, these boats seem to travel. Last year, the 1972 W30 #5 I owned 20+ years ago went from Ventura CA near L. A. TO Olympia WA, almost 1000 nms of open ocean. Current owner has modest experience and had a couple rough spots but overall enjoyed the trip. He likely burned 200g of diesel.

These are about the only true displacement trawler I know of in the 30-foot range. They carry over 3000 lbs of ballast and have a full keel with protected prop. I personally feel 30 feet is a bit small for a full displacement boat, but they have an amazing track record.

You can find a ton of files and pictures along with 20+ years of owners posts on Groups.IO, the new home from Willard Owners Group as Yahoo shut down last year. All are welcome. One of our members has found a lot of passion and hosts Willardboats.org

In closing I'd say there's a lot to be said in buying a boat with a passionate owners group behind it. All boats have their flaws, good owners groups are candid about the flaws and have identified fixes in many instances.

Peter
Co-moderator of WOG for 22 years
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #5
Guru

rsn48,

Went to dinner w those super nice people in Pender Harbour the year before last.

Didn’t see much of their boat. Took a ride in their dinghy to the resturant.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:27 PM   #6
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
I think there is at least 5 in the north basin in La Conner, including Willy.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #7
Guru

Yes. Four that I know of including mine. That’s on two floats in the north basin but I don’t know if there are several or any in the south basin. One in the north basin has been for sale and may still be. But I don’t think so. He also owns a 36 Willard sedan in the north basin at LaConner.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:35 PM   #8
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
It's a lot of boat to put on a trailer, not that you can't do it, but it's quite heavy. Mine is in the 20,000 lb range and my pickup won't tow it (F-250). It would take more than a standard pickup to tow, and probably three axles on the trailer.

Nothing you can't do, but worth knowing while making plans. I have mine professionally trailered to the boatyard for winter storage and back again to launch in the spring. Hydraulic trailer, their truck, and they charge a flat rate to pull, store over the winter, and launch in the spring. Around $2000 including shrink wrap...

Just FYI
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:50 PM   #9

City: Stillwater. Minnesota
West coast Willards

I have a Volvo 610 Semi that I pull my fifth wheel with, so weight is not an issue.
(You can’t have to much torque☺️)
Chuckd is offline   Reply With Quote