Old 08-31-2021, 06:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Malletts Bay, Vermont
Well...Signed a contract to build a Helmsman!

I really want to thank the people on this board. A number of you even got on the phone with me when I had questions. So awesome. After spending months researching I had it down to 2 boats. An American Tug and the Helmsman. Both great boats with great reputations as boats and for working with their customers, delivering and supporting them really well.

We had some weird requirements because of where I live. We live on Malletts Bay in Vermont. That means I'm on a big freshwater lake with max depth about 400 feet, and lots of shallow water. Our plan is to move to liveaboard 8 months a year and be home 4 months. And our access to other places is via canal or other tight waters. So I wanted a boat of 40 feet or less(if possible), that had two staterooms, a draft of 4 feet or less, a decent range (preferably at least 600 miles), a cummins diesel(our remoteness and current volvo make for difficulties), air draft capable of loop, an upper deck or bridge deck, and oddly, easy boarding for our two working dogs(Belgian Mal and German Shepherd who is old). There was some other stuff, but that's the big ones.

At the end, we really liked the layout and setup of the Helmsman 37 Sedan. A little less interior volume than the 38 or the American Tug 395, but easy walkarounds, good cockpit etc. Scott Helker is amazing to work with as well. So we signed and put a deposit down. Yay! Now I have to wait about 20 months.

Anyway, I'm excited and impatient. Thank you all VERY much for your help.

Newt
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:04 AM   #2
Guru

City: Vermont
Sounds like a great choice for that area. Congrats. BTW, we are land locked on the other side of the state.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Congrats Newt. Looking forward to seeing some photos when construction starts.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:48 AM   #4
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Congratulations Newt.

Great boat.

And I concur about working with Scott.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:02 PM   #5

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (Home at last )
Congratulations. You made a great choice. After months of research and discussions with knowledgeable friends, we elected to have a 38E built. Our build is scheduled to start next month.

We live in La Conner, WA, where American Tugs are built. The AT 41 was on the top of our list for a while. We just sold our 32 foot Bayliner and wanted to keep the forty foot slip which we can see from our house. The 41 would have required a new slip and they are now very scarce.

An auto accident three years ago cost my wife most of her right hand making steep ladders and docking poles almost impossible. The 38E is perfect for our reduced crew capability with its substantial rails, wide side decks and stairs to the fly bridge. The thrusters and easy dock access doors will make docking and undocking much easier.

We wanted better guest accommodations for our family and friends. The guest head and separate convertible sleeping areas in the salon and pilot house met that requirement perfectly without sacrificing space for cruising by ourselves.

Last weekend we spent several hours aboard a 38E owned by a couple we were put in touch with who just returned from cruising in Alaska. They shared a lot of great ideas and confirmed the wisdom of our decision. We felt very comfortable drinking wine and getting acquainted in their “living room”.

While we wait, we are continuing to gather information and make choices on things like electronics, tender and a perfect name. We are using our VR headsets and panoramic images to help imagine being aboard the new boat.
Doug_Snider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Not sure I could make it through 20 months waiting for my next boat. My wife says I get bitchy after 3 weeks…
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:58 PM   #7

City: Stony Point, NY
Vessel Name: VARKA
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 PH
Congrats! You will love it. We were just in Mallets Bay at Bay Harbor with our 43. Loved the lake!
AdmiralS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:10 PM   #8
Guru

City: West coast
That’s a great looking boat, inside and out. Really nice.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralS View Post
Congrats! You will love it. We were just in Mallets Bay at Bay Harbor with our 43. Loved the lake!
AdmiralS! I saw you guys! I live on the north point of the Marble Island Peninsula so I see every boat that goes through to the inner bay if I'm up on my deck. Loved it!

I mean I can't imagine there was another PH at around the same time. in 8 years, yours is the only Helmsman I've seen.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post

While we wait, we are continuing to gather information and make choices on things like electronics, tender and a perfect name. We are using our VR headsets and panoramic images to help imagine being aboard the new boat.
OK, how are you doing that? That's really cool.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:23 PM   #11
Guru

City: Homer, Ak
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Not sure I could make it through 20 months waiting for my next boat. My wife says I get bitchy after 3 weeks…
yeah i flat out could not do it. I prefer a two year prison sentence.

I waited in the anchorage airport 5 hours on a connection to see my boat for the first time that was brutal.
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:57 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
With all respect to the OP, and congrats by the way, I would never enter into a 20 month build contract. I would be suicidal halfway there.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:20 PM   #13
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
With all respect to the OP, and congrats by the way, I would never enter into a 20 month build contract. I would be suicidal halfway there.
Try building a house. I've done that twice. It is every bit as long, and the number of choice decisions you have to make is massively more. Once you break ground you find yourself checking on it every night after work, sweating every small thing. Then you move in, and there remains so much more to be done.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:30 PM   #14

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (Home at last )
I found some panoramic images on the web and open them in an app using an HP Reverb G2 headset. It feels like being in the boat. It will have to do until next spring.
Doug_Snider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:21 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Great choice. A lot of boat packed into a great package.

Please bring us along during the build photos. Lots of knowledgeable folks here who can encourage and advise.

Me? I just like to look at boat photos...

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:39 PM   #16

City: Semiahmoo
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Congratulations ! We enjoy ours enough that we are shipping it back east to do the great loop.
Nocanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:13 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
Drop dead gorgeous Boat.I don’t know how you could possibly wait 20 months but that’s been said .I love sedan styled trawlers ,I’d swap the flybridge or a pilot house ,enjoy your boat
Scooby5959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Haha. A lot of you mention the 20 months. And yeah it's tough. I still have my little Beneteau Swift, which is fine for now. But yeah, wish I didn't have to wait.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Boulder
Vessel Name: Skipper
Vessel Model: Everglades DC230
Congrats. Looking forward to pictures of the build and the boat.

So... I assume you didn't check the "on-board security system" since your Belgian Mal and German Shepard will be taking over those duties!
H2O_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:22 PM   #20
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Name: Mishy Jean
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
I really want to thank the people on this board. A number of you even got on the phone with me when I had questions. So awesome. After spending months researching I had it down to 2 boats. An American Tug and the Helmsman. Both great boats with great reputations as boats and for working with their customers, delivering and supporting them really well.

We had some weird requirements because of where I live. We live on Malletts Bay in Vermont. That means I'm on a big freshwater lake with max depth about 400 feet, and lots of shallow water. Our plan is to move to liveaboard 8 months a year and be home 4 months. And our access to other places is via canal or other tight waters. So I wanted a boat of 40 feet or less(if possible), that had two staterooms, a draft of 4 feet or less, a decent range (preferably at least 600 miles), a cummins diesel(our remoteness and current volvo make for difficulties), air draft capable of loop, an upper deck or bridge deck, and oddly, easy boarding for our two working dogs(Belgian Mal and German Shepherd who is old). There was some other stuff, but that's the big ones.

At the end, we really liked the layout and setup of the Helmsman 37 Sedan. A little less interior volume than the 38 or the American Tug 395, but easy walkarounds, good cockpit etc. Scott Helker is amazing to work with as well. So we signed and put a deposit down. Yay! Now I have to wait about 20 months.

Anyway, I'm excited and impatient. Thank you all VERY much for your help.

Newt
Best boat on the market. Congratulations! Folks that pick this boat know what they are doing. And you are right, Scott is a top shelf individual to deal with. That is why there is a wait. Keep us up with how the build is going.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote