Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #61
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Isn't the value assigned by surveyors for insurance purposes rather than sales pricing?
Depends on purpose of survey. If survey for purchase, then should be sales pricing. If for insurance, then insurance value. However, they should be the same so makes no difference. The problem is that surveyors may or may not be knowledgeable enough to give good pricing. They are surveyors, not appraisers. Surveyors don't give values on homes. Appraisers do.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #62
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Keep in mind the ‘fair’ rating, survey value and defect list will become a topic with an insurer if your seeking agreed value hull insurance.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #63
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Something does not look right. The zinc in that photo has no way been in the water for a few months. Maybe a week. No growth, no wastage. If owner/broker stated that it has been in the water for a few months since last haul, something is BS. Unless a diver just replaced the zinc.

That corrosion pattern is something I have not seen before.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #64
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Isn't the value assigned by surveyors for insurance purposes rather than sales pricing?
Perhaps...but this survey valuation isn’t the only data we have for a reference point. We have the survey we had done on the other boat. We also have a copy of the survey those owners had done when they bought the boat. THAT survey goes into great detail about how they arrived at the fair market value price including all the boat valuation guides, sold boat data, condition adjustments, etc. That is very useful information.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #65
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Something does not look right. The zinc in that photo has no way been in the water for a few months. Maybe a week. No growth, no wastage. If owner/broker stated that it has been in the water for a few months since last haul, something is BS. Unless a diver just replaced the zinc.

I think a diver did replace it recently.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #66
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post

And the bronze prop nuts look like they have been subject to stray current corrosion.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #67
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
It sure isn't easy, wishing you a happy outcome!
Old 02-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #68
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
That is not electrolysis. It is stray current corrosion and can happen within days and sometimes even hours. You must find and correct the source of the stray current or it will occur again..

PS When they reinstall the props, tell them to put the jam nut in the correct position this time.
Aside from my speculation I suspect Boatpoker is dead on. Both the shaft and the prop affected? A marine electrician versed in electrolysis/corrosion issues should be brought in. Some checking should be able to be done while the boat is out of the water for the rest of the work.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
Aside from my speculation I suspect Boatpoker is dead on. Both the shaft and the prop affected? A marine electrician versed in electrolysis/corrosion issues should be brought in. Some checking should be able to be done while the boat is out of the water for the rest of the work.
Yes, finding the source is pretty imperative.
I hope everybody else agrees (the owner and the yard).
Old 02-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #70
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post

Agree! Heed Boatpoker’s warning on this one. He’s a surveyor, BTW.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:12 PM   #71
Veteran Member

City: Miami & São Paulo
Vessel Model: Cranchi Mediterranée 50 (Just Sold)
After reading all posts in this thread, I decided that my knowledge of boat corrosion was insufficient. I spent a few hours reading many texts in the internet. My training in Chemical Engineering gave me a good basis to understand even the most technical of the papers, though the electric part of the processes are enormously confusing. I now understand much better why my latest boat would waste the pier side zinc anodes much faster than the opposite side. The boat was in front of my house, and I also noticed that the poor-quality Ss ribbons that tied the floating elements of my dock went kaput in no time.

Armed with what I digested today, I must say that the corrosion experienced in your boat is very likely caused by stray currents from shore, and/or eventually from other boats in the vicinity. If that could be demonstrated to be the case, always a question mark, then the simple act of taking the boat away from its current mooring will interrupt the process.

Some of the information on the net are pretty anecdotal, but there are quite a few that explain in layman's terms and seem to contain useful information. Here is one:

Corrosion in Marinas - Boats and Yachts Maintenance and Troubleshooting
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
After reading all posts in this thread, I decided that my knowledge of boat corrosion was insufficient. I spent a few hours reading many texts in the internet. My training in Chemical Engineering gave me a good basis to understand even the most technical of the papers, though the electric part of the processes are enormously confusing. I now understand much better why my latest boat would waste the pier side zinc anodes much faster than the opposite side. The boat was in front of my house, and I also noticed that the poor-quality Ss ribbons that tied the floating elements of my dock went kaput in no time.

Armed with what I digested today, I must say that the corrosion experienced in your boat is very likely caused by stray currents from shore, and/or eventually from other boats in the vicinity. If that could be demonstrated to be the case, always a question mark, then the simple act of taking the boat away from its current mooring will interrupt the process.

Some of the information on the net are pretty anecdotal, but there are quite a few that explain in layman's terms and seem to contain useful information. Here is one:

Corrosion in Marinas - Boats and Yachts Maintenance and Troubleshooting
I think finding out from his surveyor whether this issue existed when he surveyed it or not would give us a good indicator of where to look for the source.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
We just went through a similar process. Survey came back with a fix list and a fair market value. We called the broker and re-offered the survey value....the sellers accepted. I the end we paid about 35% less than the listing and everyone was happy. We accept the needed repairs they sold their boat.

It's worth what it's worth in the end. If the sellers want more they need to remediate to improve the value or adjust their expectations of the market. Tough stuff for both sides.
It’s awesome for you that it worked out like that.

Hubby and I both agree that the valuation is low. The valuation is based on its current condition. If the corrosion issue were fixed and corroded parts replaced, it would increase the value some.

There are a few other things that were found that we didn’t know about when we made the offer and some we are willing to simply accept, and some we feel are negotiable items that bring the value down a little from what we offered.

David will be talking to the seller sometime this afternoon and we will see what we can work out.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #74
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Depends on purpose of survey. If survey for purchase, then should be sales pricing. If for insurance, then insurance value. However, they should be the same so makes no difference. The problem is that surveyors may or may not be knowledgeable enough to give good pricing. They are surveyors, not appraisers. Surveyors don't give values on homes. Appraisers do.

I’m afraid that’s just not true. Many marine surveyors are in fact certified appraisers for marine craft. The certification is given by the American Society of Appraisers (ASA) and requires lengthy training and examination. It is a pre-requisite of being allowed to testify in court to the valuation of a thing. It requires a specified procedure to be followed to reach a conclusion of valuation. It is not simply checking Sold Boat or looking it up on BUC guide.

ASA also has disciplines in Art, Jewelry, Real Estate, Rugs, Heavy Machinery etc. If it can be financed, it can be appraised.

I have found that most of the ASA Marine appraisers are members of NAMSGLOBAL although an increasing number of SAMS certified surveyors also have ASA certification. If you need to rely on an appraisal in the buying process, you should look for a surveyor that also is certified by ASA which should be stated on their credentials.
I presume everybody here checks the surveyors credentials, right?
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #75
Guru

Good news!
We’ve come to an agreement with the seller.
Obviously it’s still contingent on a successful sea trial and completion of all the work agreed upon but given how the boat performed on the ride to the yard and the performance data the seller gave us, we don’t expect any issues there.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #76

Yikes? Maybe it was a hot harbor.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #77
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
I’m afraid that’s just not true. Many marine surveyors are in fact certified appraisers for marine craft. The certification is given by the American Society of Appraisers (ASA) and requires lengthy training and examination. It is a pre-requisite of being allowed to testify in court to the valuation of a thing. It requires a specified procedure to be followed to reach a conclusion of valuation. It is not simply checking Sold Boat or looking it up on BUC guide.

ASA also has disciplines in Art, Jewelry, Real Estate, Rugs, Heavy Machinery etc. If it can be financed, it can be appraised.

I have found that most of the ASA Marine appraisers are members of NAMSGLOBAL although an increasing number of SAMS certified surveyors also have ASA certification. If you need to rely on an appraisal in the buying process, you should look for a surveyor that also is certified by ASA which should be stated on their credentials.
I presume everybody here checks the surveyors credentials, right?
Those that are certified appraisers, appraise. This one was a surveyor, did not appraise, simply used a BUC value. I'm not saying the certified appraisers or even some who are not certified aren't capable of a valuation. I'm saying most surveyors are not and pulling a BUC value is definitely not an appraisal. It would only be one tool an appraiser would use.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:40 PM   #78
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Congrats!! Soon to be new boat owners!!! Now the real work begins......
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:08 PM   #79
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Good news!
Obviously it’s still contingent on a successful sea trial and completion of all the work agreed upon but given how the boat performed on the ride to the yard and the performance data the seller gave us, we don’t expect any issues there.

Great news!
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:10 PM   #80
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Good news!
Good for you and congratulations! After you close don't hold your breath on learning the secret TF handshake or getting a decoder ring. It's been a year for me and I haven't gotten squat.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote