Old 02-24-2018, 07:15 PM   #21
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvie View Post
To me the corrosion on the shaft looks like crevice corrosion. If it were an electrical issue the damage would not be concentrated on one spot like that. I think that is where the zinc used to be and the crevice corrosion formed under it. I had similar corrosion form on the taper between the prop and the shaft on one of my boats.
Did you see the picture of the prop and the prop nut?
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
This is speculation but if the/a zinc were installed and the seating area of the shaft or the zinc were not CLEANED adequately there may not have been an electrical connection between the two.

Once there is a failure of electrical conductivity between the shaft and zinc then crevice corrosion could start.

Stainless steel is stainless only in the presence of oxygen. With the dead area beneath the zinc seawater would still be present. THere may have been some interchange but too little so the oxygen was depleted and then the chromium that shows us the bright appearance of SS cannot form it's oxide so that protection disappears leaving the shaft vulnerable.

The damaged area has lost both the zinc protection AND the free supply of oxygen has been cut off.

Now my speculation presumes the zinc covered the damage but was improperly installed.

It could also have been a barnacle. I've seen that although not on a shaft but when a barnacle is removed from SS once in a while a pit will show.

There are other way to start it. Even the leaving of some iron from a tool that was not cleaned off properly. Not common but not impossible.
Of course there are many different grades of SS and unless you know which grade was used it could even have been a poor grade/alloy.

I offer this only to highlight some of the ways that a SS shaft can fail.

It doesn't matter now as the shaft needs to be replaced and maybe the other one VERY CLOSELY INSPECTED or replaced also.

Just as a last note I ALWAYS check my zinc installations with an ohmmeter and if it shows more than 1 ohm the zinc comes off and both the mounting area, shaft or otherwise, and the zinc mount face are cleaned again.

Enough of my guesswork.

Hopefully all works out well for you.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Vessel Model: Cruisers Yachts SS 5000
To clarify, the corrosion was not isolated to the one spot Star showed. There are several areas of corrosion pitting along the entire length of the shaft. Also on the prop and on the retaining nuts for the prop. The issues appear to be isolated to the starboard drive train. Port side looks to be ok with no signs of any corrosion or pitting. The boat is in the yard now for a full diagnostic of the electrolysis issues and ultimate repair/fix. Will also get shaft, prop, cutlass bearing, and dripless seal replacement done.
StarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Sounds like you've found a boat that's almost perfect and at a good price. That's probably unusual. Sounds to me you had a scream'in deal and now you've got a good or still very good deal. How much you like the boat and how hard it's going to be to find another needs to be considered. You're getting concerned about one problem that's really not that big of a deal. Look at the overall deal and boat. How old is the boat?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:00 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Sounds like you've found a boat that's almost perfect and at a good price. That's probably unusual. Sounds to me you had a scream'in deal and now you've got a good or still very good deal. How much you like the boat and how hard it's going to be to find another needs to be considered. You're getting concerned about one problem that's really not that big of a deal. Look at the overall deal and boat. How old is the boat?
Well, I don’t think we got a deal at all. I think we’re paying a fair price for the boat based on market data. The boat is perfect for us. We love everything about it. The ad lists it as a 2004 but it’s really a 2003. This model boat was only made from 1998-2003.
I think it will all be ok but they have to correct the issue causing it or it will just happen again.
It’s a lot of money to us...we don’t want to spend this kind of money on a boat that’s going to need many boat dollars of work.

2004 Cruisers Yachts 5000 Sedan Sport Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 02-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. S.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #27
Veteran Member

We have researched make and model extensively. This make and model meets our primary criteria. Of the available boats on the market currently of this make and model, this one most closely meets our criteria. We have agrreed on a fair market price with the seller based on the boat meeting certain performance and condition criteria. Given the survey and haul out findings, it did not meet those criteria. The seller is willing to make the necessary repairs. We are ok with that assuming we can pin point the”why” behind the corrosion items. If we can’t identify the “why” part, then we would be exposed to an unexceptabke risk basis. Our concern is not about what was found but more about the “why”. If we can answer that question then I have no doubt we can reach an acceptable arrangement with the seller.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

For whatever reason, the seller appeared as equallallly surprised as we were about the starboard drive train corrosion issues. I will proceed on the believe that he will make it right until shown otherwise.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #29
Veteran Member

And for the record, the owner made the right call upon finding the corrosion issue. Namely, let’s not proceed with a sea trial and instead let’s put the boat in the yard to make repairs. Safety first.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #30
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Did you see the picture of the prop and the prop nut?
The small nut is supposed to go on first. I can’t tell anything about the prop other than it doesn’t look pink. And there’s some growth.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #31
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsMan View Post
To clarify, the corrosion was not isolated to the one spot Star showed. There are several areas of corrosion pitting along the entire length of the shaft. Also on the prop and on the retaining nuts for the prop. The issues appear to be isolated to the starboard drive train. Port side looks to be ok with no signs of any corrosion or pitting. The boat is in the yard now for a full diagnostic of the electrolysis issues and ultimate repair/fix. Will also get shaft, prop, cutlass bearing, and dripless seal replacement done.
That is not electrolysis. It is stray current corrosion and can happen within days and sometimes even hours. You must find and correct the source of the stray current or it will occur again..

PS When they reinstall the props, tell them to put the jam nut in the correct position this time.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Nice looking boat, hope it works out for you.

Perhaps the stray current came from the boat alongside, and not from 'your' boat? Include that check in the investigation. I wouldn't stress over the issue, now its known it should be easily investigated and fixed.

The only other problem I noticed was that the fridges are faulty. There isn't any beer in them. But I guess that is easily fixed too!
Old 02-24-2018, 09:36 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Nice looking boat, hope it works out for you.

Perhaps the stray current came from the boat alongside, and not from 'your' boat? Include that check in the investigation. I wouldn't stress over the issue, now its known it should be easily investigated and fixed.

The only other problem I noticed was that the fridges are faulty. There isn't any beer in them. But I guess that is easily fixed too!
HA!! That’s the easiest fix of all!!
Old 02-24-2018, 10:53 PM   #34
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I still say you should realize it’s not a new boat.
You should expect to find things wrong w it.
Anything else is not realistic.
If your chances of findind a better boat are not really god you should buy this one and probably for the price agreed on. But I don’t know the values in this deal. Ideally both the buyer and seller know.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:14 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I still say you should realize it’s not a new boat.
You should expect to find things wrong w it.
Anything else is not realistic.
If your chances of findind a better boat are not really god you should buy this one and probably for the price agreed on. But I don’t know the values in this deal. Ideally both the buyer and seller know.
Well, of course we know it’s not a new boat which is why we’re not quibbling over things that are age related or cosmetic things you’d expect to find in a 14 yr old boat.
But the price we offered was based on all major mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems working properly.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:18 PM   #36
Guru

Well, here’s an additional wrinkle. We got the survey report back and the valuation is quite a bit LESS than our agreed upon purchase price.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:22 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Zhuhai
Vessel Name: SEZ HU
Vessel Model: Buehler 38' COOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
The small nut is supposed to go on first. I can’t tell anything about the prop other than it doesn’t look pink. And there’s some growth.
Also, unless that's a castle nut, the cotter key will not prevent the nuts from turning.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:24 PM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Well, here’s an additional wrinkle. We got the survey report back and the valuation is quite a bit LESS than our agreed upon purchase price.
That is really sort of irrelevant though except in the discussion of any problems. The price was agreed. The only way I'd say the surveyor's valuation is important is that in negotiating reductions for other issues, you make the point that you're paying top dollar as it is, so you need to be tougher on deductions than you would be if you were buying for less than market.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:29 PM   #39
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. S. "...quite a bit LESS than our agreed upon purchase price." Your call. Perhaps renegotiate with the survey in hand or be prepared to walk. I know, it's REALLY, REALLY tough to simply turn your back on what you had psyched yourself up for but remember, you said, "It’s a lot of money to us..." and I really hear ya' on that one but...be TOTALLY pragmatic. Emotions should NOT enter into such a large investment.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:08 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms. S. "...quite a bit LESS than our agreed upon purchase price." Your call. Perhaps renegotiate with the survey in hand or be prepared to walk. I know, it's REALLY, REALLY tough to simply turn your back on what you had psyched yourself up for but remember, you said, "It’s a lot of money to us..." and I really hear ya' on that one but...be TOTALLY pragmatic. Emotions should NOT enter into such a large investment.
I know. We are just digesting all the info right now. David had a long talk on the phone tonight with the surveyor who offered some additional insight. I think he is going to call our electrician tomorrow and discuss the issue with her and get her opinion.
I guess I look at the valuation as similar to a house appraisal. Why would you pay more than it’s worth? The bank won’t loan more than it’s worth.
It will be disappointing if we have to walk away...but will do it if we have to.