WeGoLook.com, anyone have comments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oakbuilder

I am a total novice and would like to hire someone to make an initial look at a used trawler, not a survey, that's later. The We Go Look site says they will give it an inspection for about $100. Just wonder how legit they are. Thanks.

Umm, I was a novice too looking at big boats. Once I found what I liked, I hired a surveyor. I am very handy though. Take a friend along until you find what you like. Then hire the real deal. In my opinion, you’re just throwing money away for a companion without benefits. :eek:

Welcome aboard and happy hunting!

Thanks Donna, I too am very handy and am learning more about larger boats everyday but have never piloted a larger boat with all that that entails. I am not on the coast right now, still waiting on my house to sell. I can't really go run and look at every possibility and so was looking at my options.

Is the issue that you and the boat are in different locations and you don't want to travel? Or are you looking for someone with more knowledge than you to help evaluate boats?

You will find lots of discussions and opinions on brokers, but this is where a good buyer's broker can and should earn their keep. That doesn't mean all actually do, but it's at least the theory....

Personally I would only want someone I know to evaluate on my behalf. So a friend or broker, but always preferably myself.

Well kinda both. I would like to weed out ones not worth the drive to go see. If we make a trip that say takes a day or two or more, there would be gas and motel charges that would far exceed say $100. Make sense? But most definitely I will have someone experienced I trust to go with me on every boat I check out. It makes it tough when finding possible boats on line, they tend to be all over the east cost and gulf coast. Wife and I are beyond anxious to get started and the whole process of looking at boats. I need to contact a broker I reckon, sounds like the safest way. Thanks.

You should be able to learn a lot from listings and a discussion with the selling broker. Listings that are thin on info, I would just skip over. They either don't want to tell you more because it's not flattering to the boat, or they are too lazy to put together a good listing. Pictures will tell you a lot, and descriptions should give a good inventory of how the boat is equipped.

Perhaps do some initial looking locally so you can start to develop a sense of how actual boats compare to their listings, and gain a better sense of the kinds of questions to ask over the phone, or pictures to ask for if not already part of the listing.

I am sure the selling broker would be willing to use Skype or Facetime and show you around the boat from where ever you are.

When I was serious about a boat long distance I asked a surveyor to take a quick look at it for 1/4 of his fee. I eventually did buy the boat and he applied what I had already paid to his normal fee

Get a buyer broker. It doesn't cost you anything and they are acting as your agent, except if it happens that they are the listing agent for a boat you are interested in.

I crawled up and down dozens of boats and asked a lot of questions. My sister is selling her liveaboard sailboat and going for a 44' trawler. Pictures always look good. I would drag along a knowledgeable boat person to teach you what to for. If there are no problems, then survey.

I know captains who own management companies and often look first for their clients. They do not do so for $100 however. More like $150-200. Personally, I'd recommend the buyer's broker route but that is limited as well in terms of how thorough the look will be.

Looking at the website, this company hires "independent contractors" to do the "looking". So you pay them $100, they call someone near where the boat is located and pay them something less than that $100 to go to the boat and take pictures of it. They don't claim to be boat surveyors or inspectors. The boat you are looking at might be the first boat this "looker" has ever seen up close.

It seems to me you could ask the broker or owner to send you pictures and eliminate the extra $100 fee. If you like what you see and the price you could hire a qualified surveyor to survey the boat with or without you being present.

It's not a service I would use.

Based on my own experience, one can hire a few surveyors one right after another. You will notice they all come up with different observations and always seem to be best buddies with the broker.

Best to take a friend who is knowledgeable about boat and while the broker is distracting you, your friend can be looking over the shoulder of the surveyor, asking questions and pointing out things.

Based on my own experience, one can hire a few surveyors one right after another. You will notice they all come up with different observations and always seem to be best buddies with the broker.

Best to take a friend who is knowledgeable about boat and while the broker is distracting you, your friend can be looking over the shoulder of the surveyor, asking questions and pointing out things.

Thanks, I wondered about surveyor and broker connection. Kinda like lawyers and judges, hmmm.

Thanks, I wondered about surveyor and broker connection. Kinda like lawyers and judges, hmmm.

Don't let the broker be involved in the hiring of the surveyor. You select and manage. If the broker and surveyor then know each other, that's no big deal. You would expect them to. The surveyors we'd select in our area are well known by nearly everyone in the industry but their surveys are independent and without bias.

Don't let the broker be involved in the hiring of the surveyor. You select and manage. If the broker and surveyor then know each other, that's no big deal. You would expect them to. The surveyors we'd select in our area are well known by nearly everyone in the industry but their surveys are independent and without bias.

I selected the surveyor and paid the surveyor. Sadly, it was a bit obvious that the surveyor was hungry and didn't want to piss-off the broker.

I didn't feel screwed but, the surveyor could have spent more time with me than the broker.

I am a total novice and would like to hire someone to make an initial look at a used trawler, not a survey, that's later. The We Go Look site says they will give it an inspection for about $100. Just wonder how legit they are. Thanks.

Some Q&A and background would be helpful:
  • Do you live close to docks and marinas where you can walk pat hundreds if not thousands of vessels and get a feel for the goal?
  • Where are you looking?
  • Previous boating experience?
  • Budget range?
  • Size of vessel you desire?
  • Anticipated cruising grounds?
  • Live aboard or casual use?
  • Why a trawler (a generally non descript term) vs say a 35 foot Bayliner or 26 foot Cape Dory?
  • How fast do you want to go?
Dependent upon where you live there are many smart boaters on TF that for a beer or two would be good candidates for the first look or three. Since you are a novice, beware the claims from brokers and surveyors. Shop carefully for these guys.

There is nothing unusual with what you want to do. Enjoy the hunt but keep the firearm on safety.

My recommendation is to find your self a local broker that has a good reputation. The local broker will question you to learn what you are looking for. The local broker will also know how to question a listing broker to get the true picture of the boat. Once your local broker feels confident a boat is worth looking at it won’t be a waste of time. It might not be the boat but it will be a boat worth the time.

I used to own an inspection business. We did “inspections” on just about anything, mostly (about 95%) homes. We would get requests to inspect semis, motorcycles, etc. We did the inspections but included disclaimers that we were not knowledgeable in this area. Mostly the person ordering the inspections on the odd ball things just wanted photos. It sounds like that is what this company may be providing as to knowledge. If all you are looking for is photos then $100 may be worth it to get say a 100 photos that show all areas of the boat that is located a distance from you. Sometimes listing brokers don’t take photos that show the actual condition of a boat, maybe by mistake, maybe on purpose. I would be willing to spend $100 to get lots of unbiased photos on a boat that I was interested in to save me $1000 in travel costs to look at it and find out it has been misrepresented. I would still get a survey when I found one I wanted to purchase.

• Do you live close to docks and marinas where you can walk pat hundreds if not thousands of vessels and get a feel for the goal?
  • No, I am in Arkansas. When my house sells, we are gonna find an extended stay motel or such and from there, the search begins in person, not by internet only.
  • Where are you looking?
  • NC south to Keys and then Gulf coast all the way to South TX
  • Just small ski boat
  • Budget range?
  • 15-25K
  • 30-43' Trawler (+/-)
  • Southern East and Gulf coasts to start, then maybe Great Loop and/or Bahamas
  • Live aboard full time
  • Why a trawler (a generally non descript term) vs say a 35 foot Bayliner or 26 foot Cape Dory?
  • Mainly by recommendations. Want a displacement Hull & diesel power.
  • When the house sells, then as fast as is practical. Meaning not so fast as to settle for the wrong boat.

... I would be willing to spend $100 to get lots of unbiased photos on a boat that I was interested in to save me $1000 in travel costs to look at it and find out it has been misrepresented. I would still get a survey when I found one I wanted to purchase.

Thanks, good points. I will keep this in mind.

I just went to their website. It appears to be similar to what I thought. They send someone out to take a bunch of photos, not necessarily anyone that has boating knowledge. Not necessarily a bad thing if you are just looking for photos, but not if you think that you are getting a boating expert. However it can be a good deal if $100 saves you from traveling to look at what turns out to be a POS that is 1000 miles from home.

I just went to their website. It appears to be similar to what I thought. They send someone out to take a bunch of photos, not necessarily anyone that has boating knowledge. Not necessarily a bad thing if you are just looking for photos, but not if you think that you are getting a boating expert. However it can be a good deal if $100 saves you from traveling to look at what turns out to be a POS that is 1000 miles from home.

I suggest telling broker you want current, time stamped photos. Can even say with newspaper of the day of photos in picture. Also specify what specific photos you want.

• No, I am in Arkansas. When my house sells, we are gonna find an extended stay motel or such and from there, the search begins in person, not by internet only.
  • Where are you looking?
  • NC south to Keys and then Gulf coast all the way to South TX
  • Just small ski boat
  • Budget range?
  • 15-25K
  • 30-43' Trawler (+/-)
  • Southern East and Gulf coasts to start, then maybe Great Loop and/or Bahamas
  • Live aboard full time
  • Mainly by recommendations. Want a displacement Hull & diesel power.
  • When the house sells, then as fast as is practical. Meaning not so fast as to settle for the wrong boat.

Time for a reality check. You aren't looking for a boat that can be readily used, you are looking for a project. Live aboard boats in that size range, in that price range, will not be in the condition to do what you want. You need to go to Yacht World, enter in some search parameters like type of boat (all power), length ( minimum/maximum), engine ( single or twin, gas or diesel), area of the country to look, price range, etc,etc. Let me know how many come up in that price range. If you do they probably have sunk in a hurricane. A buyers broker would have no interest in showing a boat in that price range. The boat will need so much work that it will not be insurable, so now you can't moor it in any marina. The list goes on and on.

"Wife and I are beyond anxious to get started and the whole process of looking at boats"

YOU ! have to look at the variety of boats to establish the size and style that will work for YOU.

35 ft- 55ft , big difference, seagoing ? 300% more than inshore.

Live aboard ? In what climate .Hot? Cold? Cruise? Anchor out or Marina to Marina.

Sure some person may be able to have you avoid the "project boats" (if that is what you need) , but the list of what YOU want can only be made by YOU!

Start hunting to educate your self , as always education is not cheap, but very valuable.

• "Budget range?
  • 15-25K
  • 30-43' Trawler (+/-)"
Unless you expect a miracle it will be many thousands and at least a year (if you already have the skill sets) to make a 15-25K into anything bit a dock queen.

Unless you can compromise.

A 30ish Ft gas Bayliner style from the 80's would fit the bill, at your price .

Last edited:
Wegolook is legit. Insurance companies use them to take photos for some of their in house claim handling tasks. It is cheaper to pay a contractor to do basic photo taking than to keep enough staff on the payroll to handle everything.

Back
Top Bottom