Old 12-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbuilder View Post
I am a total novice and would like to hire someone to make an initial look at a used trawler, not a survey, that's later. The We Go Look site says they will give it an inspection for about $100. Just wonder how legit they are. Thanks.

Some Q&A and background would be helpful:
  • Do you live close to docks and marinas where you can walk pat hundreds if not thousands of vessels and get a feel for the goal?
  • Where are you looking?
  • Previous boating experience?
  • Budget range?
  • Size of vessel you desire?
  • Anticipated cruising grounds?
  • Live aboard or casual use?
  • Why a trawler (a generally non descript term) vs say a 35 foot Bayliner or 26 foot Cape Dory?
  • How fast do you want to go?
Dependent upon where you live there are many smart boaters on TF that for a beer or two would be good candidates for the first look or three. Since you are a novice, beware the claims from brokers and surveyors. Shop carefully for these guys.

There is nothing unusual with what you want to do. Enjoy the hunt but keep the firearm on safety.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #22
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
My recommendation is to find your self a local broker that has a good reputation. The local broker will question you to learn what you are looking for. The local broker will also know how to question a listing broker to get the true picture of the boat. Once your local broker feels confident a boat is worth looking at it won’t be a waste of time. It might not be the boat but it will be a boat worth the time.

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #23
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I used to own an inspection business. We did “inspections” on just about anything, mostly (about 95%) homes. We would get requests to inspect semis, motorcycles, etc. We did the inspections but included disclaimers that we were not knowledgeable in this area. Mostly the person ordering the inspections on the odd ball things just wanted photos. It sounds like that is what this company may be providing as to knowledge. If all you are looking for is photos then $100 may be worth it to get say a 100 photos that show all areas of the boat that is located a distance from you. Sometimes listing brokers don’t take photos that show the actual condition of a boat, maybe by mistake, maybe on purpose. I would be willing to spend $100 to get lots of unbiased photos on a boat that I was interested in to save me $1000 in travel costs to look at it and find out it has been misrepresented. I would still get a survey when I found one I wanted to purchase.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #24

City: Viola
  • Do you live close to docks and marinas where you can walk pat hundreds if not thousands of vessels and get a feel for the goal?
  • No, I am in Arkansas. When my house sells, we are gonna find an extended stay motel or such and from there, the search begins in person, not by internet only.
  • Where are you looking?
  • NC south to Keys and then Gulf coast all the way to South TX
  • Just small ski boat
  • Budget range?
  • 15-25K
  • 30-43' Trawler (+/-)
  • Southern East and Gulf coasts to start, then maybe Great Loop and/or Bahamas
  • Live aboard full time
  • Why a trawler (a generally non descript term) vs say a 35 foot Bayliner or 26 foot Cape Dory?
  • Mainly by recommendations. Want a displacement Hull & diesel power.
  • When the house sells, then as fast as is practical. Meaning not so fast as to settle for the wrong boat.
oakbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
... I would be willing to spend $100 to get lots of unbiased photos on a boat that I was interested in to save me $1000 in travel costs to look at it and find out it has been misrepresented. I would still get a survey when I found one I wanted to purchase.
Thanks, good points. I will keep this in mind.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:32 PM   #26
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I just went to their website. It appears to be similar to what I thought. They send someone out to take a bunch of photos, not necessarily anyone that has boating knowledge. Not necessarily a bad thing if you are just looking for photos, but not if you think that you are getting a boating expert. However it can be a good deal if $100 saves you from traveling to look at what turns out to be a POS that is 1000 miles from home.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:34 AM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I just went to their website. It appears to be similar to what I thought. They send someone out to take a bunch of photos, not necessarily anyone that has boating knowledge. Not necessarily a bad thing if you are just looking for photos, but not if you think that you are getting a boating expert. However it can be a good deal if $100 saves you from traveling to look at what turns out to be a POS that is 1000 miles from home.
I suggest telling broker you want current, time stamped photos. Can even say with newspaper of the day of photos in picture. Also specify what specific photos you want.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:23 AM   #28
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
  • No, I am in Arkansas. When my house sells, we are gonna find an extended stay motel or such and from there, the search begins in person, not by internet only.
  • Where are you looking?
  • NC south to Keys and then Gulf coast all the way to South TX
  • Just small ski boat
  • Budget range?
  • 15-25K
  • 30-43' Trawler (+/-)
  • Southern East and Gulf coasts to start, then maybe Great Loop and/or Bahamas
  • Live aboard full time
  • Mainly by recommendations. Want a displacement Hull & diesel power.
  • When the house sells, then as fast as is practical. Meaning not so fast as to settle for the wrong boat.
Time for a reality check. You aren't looking for a boat that can be readily used, you are looking for a project. Live aboard boats in that size range, in that price range, will not be in the condition to do what you want. You need to go to Yacht World, enter in some search parameters like type of boat (all power), length ( minimum/maximum), engine ( single or twin, gas or diesel), area of the country to look, price range, etc,etc. Let me know how many come up in that price range. If you do they probably have sunk in a hurricane. A buyers broker would have no interest in showing a boat in that price range. The boat will need so much work that it will not be insurable, so now you can't moor it in any marina. The list goes on and on.
Russell Clifton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #29
FF
Guru

"Wife and I are beyond anxious to get started and the whole process of looking at boats"

YOU ! have to look at the variety of boats to establish the size and style that will work for YOU.

35 ft- 55ft , big difference, seagoing ? 300% more than inshore.

Live aboard ? In what climate .Hot? Cold? Cruise? Anchor out or Marina to Marina.

Sure some person may be able to have you avoid the "project boats" (if that is what you need) , but the list of what YOU want can only be made by YOU!

Start hunting to educate your self , as always education is not cheap, but very valuable.

• "Budget range?
  • 15-25K
  • 30-43' Trawler (+/-)"
Unless you expect a miracle it will be many thousands and at least a year (if you already have the skill sets) to make a 15-25K into anything bit a dock queen.

Unless you can compromise.

A 30ish Ft gas Bayliner style from the 80's would fit the bill, at your price .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville Florida
Vessel Name: Lucy
Vessel Model: 2003 Rosborough RF246
Wegolook is legit. Insurance companies use them to take photos for some of their in house claim handling tasks. It is cheaper to pay a contractor to do basic photo taking than to keep enough staff on the payroll to handle everything.
JimTid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
When I had my sailboat for sale I was on YW constantly looking at other sailboats and trawlers . I wasn’t sure which way I was gonna go but I knew I wanted something different. During the YW search I would stay locked in on about 5 different boats at a time that I liked . After a while the same boat continued to show up in every mix. Finally I sold my boat and bought a plane ticket and spent two long days looking hard at the boat , fortunately the owner was the broker and the boat was on a canal behind his house . He even allowed me to stay on the boat overnight before flying out the next day. The boat needed a bunch of work but it was mostly stuff I knew I could handle myself . We made a deal and I had the boat trucked home the next week .
Old 12-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #32

I know I am coming off as very naive, but I really don't think so. Of course it will be a project boat. I don't have all the knowledge and experience but ya know what, I have built a house from the ground up, by myself. I cut trees off my property and sawed them into lumber on my bandsaw mill. I did all plumbing and electrical too and I learned as I went. I drove a tractor trailer all over the country, but hey, before I started driving, I had to learn, and learn I did, with zero accidents in well over one million miles. I worked as a self-employed handyman for over 10 years, and did many many jobs doing things I had never done before, but I educated myself and got it done. Until I am dead, I will never stop learning. If it takes a year to head out, fine. I have found many boats in my price range that I want to look at, I just cant hit the road yet. If I can't insure it, oh well, I will only go to marinas to fuel, pumpout, etc. I am way past letting others tell me what I can and can not do. If I am about to crash and burn, please tell me, but at this point, I believe I can navigate around the obstacles and go for our dream.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:18 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
I rebuilt the 32ft sailboat I had before William. I lived in midtown Memphis next to a railroad track. There was a tiny access road that ran between my house and the railroad . I had the boat trucked home and hired a crane to set ( sneak ) the boat in my backyard next to my shop. The boat and shop took up our postage stamp size midtown back yard . It took me seven years to rebuild that boat , mostly because I didn’t have enough money all at once for materials. I almost gave up a time or two but I was determined to get it done.
I didn’t have any prior boat building or boat repair experience either but I had built a couple houses ,had some woodworking experience and had the tools . I could only work on it after work and weekends . Having it at the house was a big deal. My wife got sick of it and I was kinda the joke around family . But I got it done and so can you if you want it bad enough.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #34
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I do engine surveys as part of my business. Often a client will ask me to do a "quick look" prior to getting deep into the survey process. It works out well for everybody. Take a walk around and 90% of the time you can tell in five minutes whether the boat is a POS or it looks good enough to proceed.

If you see a boat that looks possible, post up a request here and someone may be local and able to do a quick look. The website may be a good resource too.

A budget of 15-20k sounds a good bit skinny. A boat for that price is going to be a mess. A decent functional boat that can move on its own feet with functional systems with some warts and zits is probably going to start in the 40-50k range, guessing there, but I have been around this biz for a long time.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

...35 ft- 55ft , big difference, seagoing ? 300% more than inshore.

Live aboard ? In what climate .Hot? Cold? Cruise? Anchor out or Marina to Marina...

I prefer closer to 30', regardless of price.
Live aboard, full time.
Only warm/hot climates.
Anchor out.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #36

City: Rapid City, SD heading back to the PNW
Hi Oakbuilder, welcome to TF. There are many who have started where you are, and have made a dock Queen into a very nice boat, also there have been those that have failed badly. One thing to keep in the FRONT of your mind, is building a house on the dirt will not sink..... If you make a mistake on the boat it could cost you your life, just saying....
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #37
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
I know I am coming off as very naive, but I really don't think so. Of course it will be a project boat. I don't have all the knowledge and experience but ya know what, I have built a house from the ground up, by myself. I cut trees off my property and sawed them into lumber on my bandsaw mill. I did all plumbing and electrical too and I learned as I went. I drove a tractor trailer all over the country, but hey, before I started driving, I had to learn, and learn I did, with zero accidents in well over one million miles. I worked as a self-employed handyman for over 10 years, and did many many jobs doing things I had never done before, but I educated myself and got it done. Until I am dead, I will never stop learning. If it takes a year to head out, fine. I have found many boats in my price range that I want to look at, I just cant hit the road yet. If I can't insure it, oh well, I will only go to marinas to fuel, pumpout, etc. I am way past letting others tell me what I can and can not do. If I am about to crash and burn, please tell me, but at this point, I believe I can navigate around the obstacles and go for our dream.
Just apply the commen sense that you have acquired over the years. Read up on stuff and you will be fine
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:20 PM   #38
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Glad to hear this. You sure don't want to pay someone to do all the repairs needed.All of those skills are needed to maintain a boat. Good luck
Russell Clifton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: St. james city FL.
Vessel Name: White Pelican
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 34' sedan 1973
Check your P,M,
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #40
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Looks like you have skills, and more important, attitude, which can be easily transferred to working on a boat. Some of the systems are different, as are the risks. The costs are significantly higher on most hardware, for good reason. But being willing to learn how things work, to get dirty, and to endure bloodied knuckles once in a while, will serve you well.

I think failure can come from two opposite directions. One is when you never finish what you start, can never afford to do it right, and never take enough pride in your work to keep it looking decent. It would not only snowball into a never-ending and soul-sucking project, but you'd be giving all of us a bad name by living as "trawler trash."

The other side of the coin is when you need everything 100% perfect. Nothing is ever good enough. Again, you drive yourself to despair and bankruptcy.

Find the Goldilocks spot in between. Take pride in your work, but be realistic, and you'll be fine.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote