Old 12-31-2016, 12:06 AM   #1
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Weaver clips with Seawise Davit

I have a Seawise Davit on my swim step that was setup for a 10' RIB with four stroke outboard. I am considering getting a 10' rigid dinghy. Weaver makes some clips for rigid boats that would be ideal. They retract down to the level of the gunwale when not in use.

So, my question is if anyone knows if the Weaver clips would work with the Seawise transom mount brackets?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:24 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Our 10'+ Aquapro inflatable has weaver davits on it with a 15hp Yamaha on a Seawise transom mount/hoist, no problem and works great!
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:36 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Our 10'+ Aquapro inflatable has weaver davits on it with a 15hp Yamaha on a Seawise transom mount/hoist, no problem and works great!

Are the transom mounts Seawise as well as the hoist or are the transom mounts Weaver? I guess I need to know if the Weaver clips will engage the transom mounts by Seawise.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 12-31-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Dave
I have found the Weaver folks pretty helpful. You might call them to see if they know if their clips will work with your Seawise hardware.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
The Weaver people have been consistently knowledgable and helpful. Call 'em.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:31 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Are the transom mounts Seawise as well as the hoist or are the transom mounts Weaver? I guess I need to know if the Weaver clips will engage the transom mounts by Seawise.
Dave:

I have had both Weaver and Seawise dinghy hardware. There is a huge difference in them, judging only from those two, which admittedly were for different loads.
When I bought Retreat, I no longer needed the weaver system, so I sold the dinghy side clips. When I upsized my dinghy to a 12, from a 10, the dinghy came with Seawise, which I removed and gave away.

The Weavers had a hypalon pad that glued to the hypalon tubes and was an effective mounting system, considering the weight of the Achilles 10 soft bottom inflatable with its 15hp 2 stroke.

The Seawise clips were bolted to the floor (front) and to the engine well coaming, but were still not adequate for the load of the Caribe 12 with its 40hp 4 stroke.

The method of mating the dinghy side to the big boat side is different, and requires either the big boat side to adjust to the height of the dinghy side or vice versa.

I think you are on for the purchase of a matched set from either Weaver or Seawise, unless you get lucky on Craigslist.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:37 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Dave:

I have had both Weaver and Seawise dinghy hardware. There is a huge difference in them, judging only from those two, which admittedly were for different loads.
When I bought Retreat, I no longer needed the weaver system, so I sold the dinghy side clips. When I upsized my dinghy to a 12, from a 10, the dinghy came with Seawise, which I removed and gave away.

The Weavers had a hypalon pad that glued to the hypalon tubes and was an effective mounting system, considering the weight of the Achilles 10 soft bottom inflatable with its 15hp 2 stroke.

The Seawise clips were bolted to the floor (front) and to the engine well coaming, but were still not adequate for the load of the Caribe 12 with its 40hp 4 stroke.

The method of mating the dinghy side to the big boat side is different, and requires either the big boat side to adjust to the height of the dinghy side or vice versa.

I think you are on for the purchase of a matched set from either Weaver or Seawise, unless you get lucky on Craigslist.

Thanks Keith,

So far the clips that are glued to the RIB have worked really well. One of the pads has started to separate from the dink but it simply need to be reglued. They have been very strong with a total of over 250 lbs of dinghy, motor, battery, and fuel.

The Seawise mounts that are bolted to the swim step have an adjustable arm that allows it to change vertical height so it matches the clip height of the dink in the water. The Seawise clips are designed to have the transom mounts engage the clip from above, so you push the side of the dink down, slip the clip under the mount, and as the side comes up it engages. I am not sure but I think the Weaver clips are the opposite,so they are pushed down onto the transom mounts to engage.

As long as the diameter of the stainless transom mounts are similar I would think that both should work. The key would be to ensure that the height of the transom mounts will work with weaver clips on the dinghy.

As was mentioned, I should call Weaver and Seawise and see what they can tell me.

Dave
SPOT page