Weather Underground???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just contacted Weather Underground support and:

"The marine weather has been retired. It may be up and down before it’s gone for good, but it is on its way out. Thank you for using Weather Underground!"

Its very unfortunate. They used to have a great boating app (gone) and Storm was excellent until they scrapped it for a more generalized app across disparate use cases. Getting aquired by IBM has not been good for WU. All of the different apps use the same National Weather Service info for coastal forecasts and buoy reports. Some also use different models to influence their forecasts. Predict Wind does a nice job for wind/seas forecast planning. I do not know of a single app that does all of it well (Radar, Wind, Seas, general soccer mom/dad weather, Active Captian, and charting. Bluechart Mobile came close...

Thanks Donny, not good news because I really liked weather underground but now I’ve found Windfinder that predicts the wind and seas out over one week which is what I need for planning trips. Not as good as WUnderground but close. With windfinder you need to add your places where you desire weather, with WUnderground you could pick the NOAA areas.

Thanks guys for helping a computer illiterate out.

Just checked and all the NOAA reports are active and working. Don’t know what the problem was but I’m happy as it was my fav reporting service, I have my areas on my screen for quick reference.

I work as a meteorologist (28+ years now) and use 4 sources most often: 1) NWS/NOAA 2) Windy 3) Ventusky
and 4) Radar Now.

NOAA/NWS are the true experts - they have meteorological degrees, continuing training, access to most all gov't data sources, and get paid to forecast.
Everyone else pretty much modifies and enhances their forecasts and data output for different users.
Wunderground is legit, though, and I sometimes browse through there when searching for past weather observations.

FM. Thanks for that info, I just like the marine survey and find it mostly correct. I know in the tropics (southeast Florida) its hard to predict much in the future but it has gotten better of the past twenty years.

Thanks.

It’s back to being on line.

I use Windy also but Weather Underground follows NOAA s area like “20 miles off shore Keys to St Augustine “. I find it easy to use and have the areas I use the most on the phone itself so it’s real quick.

Just sayin

fish,
Are you talking about weather “wonderground”.
Been using that for years but not specifically for marine input.

I know of weather underground and weather wonderland.

Pretty sure Irv is talking weather underground.

Scott

Right again. :)

Getting ready making plans for Ft Pierce, the highlight of our boating season.

Eric

https://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AM/630.html

This is the link to my immediate area, there are 100s of areas covered.

Hope this helps.

That's useful. Been using Wunderground for years, have never seen that.

And without seeing your URL, I can't find a way to actually navigate to that using Wunderground menus; can you say how to step through to get there from here?

Used to be an easy map-driven app called Marine Weather Pro by Accuweather... but it doesn't work anymore. I asked, and they said it had something to do with changes to their data source. And they may or may not get around to making a replacement. When it worked, it was our fastest way to get local and daily-destination forecasts...

I would have been similar to a graphic version of the Marine Weather Links toward the bottom of your WU page...

-Chris

Yes, that's essentially the parent of the one Bigs posted.

I can't find "marine" anywhere. Nor can I find clickable links to "activities" or "ski and snow" anywhere... in either the laptop (Windows) or tablet (Android) apps...

-Chris

Ranger. At the bottom of the link I sent they list the various NOAA areas close by. It works fast, I have each of the areas I frequent on the iPhone and use the links at the bottom on the page for other areas.

Yep, I see that, and I see on the side where I can insert my favorite zip code, etc. Thanks for that; I've bookmarked.

Just wondering how one would ever find this whole marine segment; can't find anything one would normally click on to manually navigate from main page to marine stuff...

-Chris

OK good.
No mistake.
The close names sucked me in.
I do use wunderground daily and have several locations (cities) bookmarked.
My computer skills are so. of so. and I have no trouble navigating wonderground.

I have no trouble navigating wonderground.

Nor do I, usually... but darned if I can find any menu option anywhere that would lead one to the marine links Bigs and Cal provided...

-Chris

Nor do I, usually... but darned if I can find any menu option anywhere that would lead one to the marine links Bigs and Cal provided...

-Chris

Yep, it's impossible if you try to find it on their site. You have to do a web search for "Weather Underground Marine Weather" to get there. Lucky for me I had most of the places I am/was interested in already bookmarked.

They used to have nearby water temps and wind buoys/stations real time info right on the home page for whatever land based forecast you wanted. I'd always have both the town and marine forecasts bookmarked because the town site has various radar and other real time info.

If it wasn't for the bookmarks I already have, I'd never use WU again.

I find Wunderground to be unpredictable and inaccurate. We recently went for a week cruise in the Southern Chesapeake Bay area which is known to produce severe thunderstorms. We were following the forecast and predictions of Wunderground very closely and they were continually wrong. They couldn't predict the weather 24 hours out with any level of accuracy. What was even more frustrating was how radically they would change their near term forecasts every hour. We literally saw it go back and forth between 80% chance of storms and 0% chance of storms ever few hours. About the only thing we use it for now is radar. Windy is much more accurate along with NOAA. I have followed weather very closely most of my life and have not seen a less reliable app than Wunderground. Maybe it is better for other areas but that has not been my experience.

I find Wunderground to be unpredictable and inaccurate. We recently went for a week cruise in the Southern Chesapeake Bay area which is known to produce severe thunderstorms. We were following the forecast and predictions of Wunderground very closely and they were continually wrong. They couldn't predict the weather 24 hours out with any level of accuracy. What was even more frustrating was how radically they would change their near term forecasts every hour. We literally saw it go back and forth between 80% chance of storms and 0% chance of storms ever few hours. About the only thing we use it for now is radar. Windy is much more accurate along with NOAA. I have followed weather very closely most of my life and have not seen a less reliable app than Wunderground. Maybe it is better for other areas but that has not been my experience.

Wunderground uses NOAA as its forecast source as does every other US weather service. Going from an 80% to 0 for thunderstorms is easy to happen. the 20% won and now they've passed. Having a good radar on board is invaluable for tracking storms relative to your boat's position, but t-storms move fast and change quickly.

I find Wunderground to be unpredictable and inaccurate. We recently went for a week cruise in the Southern Chesapeake Bay area which is known to produce severe thunderstorms. We were following the forecast and predictions of Wunderground very closely and they were continually wrong.

If that was the NOAA forecast, it's all about NOAA, not WU. I don't think the NOAA Chesapeake forecasts are golden, but I do usually take those into account along with other weather info.

https://www.wunderground.com/MAR/

Then you select an area and within that area more areas.

Yep, got that. Easy enough to do on a computer with browser, and I've bookmarked that link... and I suppose I could bookmark a browser page on a tablet but that's a clunky way to do it.

But I can't figure out a way to get there from here in the actual WU app on a tablet. Where one can't edit a URL and so forth...

Now that I know it exists, I've asked WU...

-Chris

Well, sorry guys... I may have poked the bear at the wrong time...

I finally got an answer from WU, says "marine weather has been retired." and "Our data source for the information was retired."

Now when I check that link https://www.wunderground.com/MAR/ using a browser, it says "This feature is no longer available."

Essentially the same answer the AccuWeather people gave me when I asked about why their marine marine weather forecast was no longer working...

I don't find that easy to understand, given the source data is available at links like this:
https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS51.KLWX.html

-Chris

I found out the same thing a few days ago, very disappointed

Back
Top Bottom