Weather infomation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saffmat

Planning to cross Gulf of Mexico, from Apalachicola to Tarpon Springs in January.* Just curious if there is a preferred source of weather forcasting to pick the best window of opportunity for the crossing.*

There is not much daylight in January so, if you have a trawler you will be running at night and regardless of the forecast it gets rough about half way across. You will be glad to see the sun and the crab trap surprise the the Florida Coast has for you.

You can get specialized weather like the above but be sure to also listen to local forecasts including the Weather Channel's because the cold fronts will be passing through with great frequency...about every 4-5 days. Try to cross on the second day after the front passes the Panhandle. I usually cross from Carabelle because the inlet is less likely to shoal. The harbor master at the marina usually has pretty good intuition about when to cross.

I have crossed in fast sport fisherman and motoryachts plus trawlers including my current boat...25 times. And, it always gets rough in the middle of the night...did I say that above?

And remember there is no one good source of info...ideally you get your hands on everything possible and then form a plan of action using all available resources.

I must say I have made the crossing Apalachicola - Anclote (Tarpon Springs) twice and to Tampa Bay once the three time departing mid day or a little after, twice it was calm all the way, the third time it was nice till about mid night and did get quite rough for the rest of the trip. By the way we found Government cut south of Apalachicola a good waypointIt was dreged a year or two ago and had good depth 8' across the bay to it and about 10' in the cut itself. We will be making the trip south again in March returning in May. I have the time and patience to wait for a good forecast and do.
Good Luck Steve W.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom