Old 01-08-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Weather info Using GRIB

How many of you use GRIB programs for your weather information? I'm currently working my way through the THEYR program on my Raymarine eS128 and having some difficulty.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:07 AM   #2
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Hello Codger2. I was just getting ready to start a thread to request help on this subject, but I thought I'd search first and your thread came up. So, forgive me for answering your question and possibly hi-jacking your thread a bit (unless you're having the same problem I am).

Here goes:
I have a RayMarine e127 MFD running the last available version of Lighthouse II software. Over the years, I have subscribed to THEYR weather and downloaded the grib files, I liked being able to do this and thought it provided valuable visual information in addition to all the on-line sources.

About a year ago, before renewing my THEYR subscription, I noticed that there were a lot of old grib files in the THEYR folder on my MFD. Being always paranoid about filling up the limited storage space with junk, I deleted these files. Since then, I have never been able successfully activate my THEYR renewal. I always get "activation failed" message. I have a strong suspicion that I may have accidently deleted some critical file from the THEYR folder (???), but I've never started what will likely be a long adventure with various customer service entities. I fear if I contact Raymarine, they will refer me to THEYR and if I contact THEYR, they will tell me contact Raymarine. Furthermore, I think the strongest knowledge base for Raymarine is in the US and any time I contact them, they refer me to their Swedish division, which has comparatively little knowledge and little inclination to research a solution for me.
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Here goes:
I have a RayMarine e127 MFD running the last available version of Lighthouse II software. Over the years, I have subscribed to THEYR weather and downloaded the grib files, I liked being able to do this and thought it provided valuable visual information in addition to all the on-line sources.
I have given up on Theyr and a few months ago I talked with Raymarine Charts and was advised that they no longer have a relationship with Theyr. I will say that in contacting Theyr, direct, the manager (Laurence) was very helpful. They were in the throws of a major update to their system which was promised at the end of April but as of this writing I still haven't seen it! My subscription is up this coming August and I will not be renewing it. I miss not having a weather app on my MFD but that was the only one that worked with Lighthouse II. Since then I have investigated several apps and have found "Windy" to be quite exciting. I view it on my computer or when on the boat I use my iPhone hot spot and view it on my smart tv.BTW, It's free! Sorry I can't be more helpful but you should definitely look at Windy.com if you haven't done so already.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Thanks for the information on Theyr! I guess I won't bother beating my head against a wall. I agree with Windy. It's been my first "go-to" weather app for a couple of years now. And just when you think it can't get any better, they make it still better!
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote