Are we crazy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OLIVER NO, You are not crazy. You're just normal! I'd rather spend a few bucks more with fuel than being unable to sleep. If you come to Northeast Brazil you'll know why I do agree with Oliver. Tropical heat mixed up with humidity, is hard to deal with for long periods of time.
OHHHH, FINALLY. Someone that gets it. The humidity is worse their, but It's still bad here, sweating on bead? I think not.

What size genny and/or inverter are you folks running? We have not had the opportunity to run our genny much yet but the few times I have fired it up it is clear we will never be able to run it very long and certainly never in a quiet anchorage with nearby boats. Despite the fact the engine room is fully insulated with modern sound barrier & the genny is in a sound enclosure, the noise and vibration is simply too irritating for an extended period. I think most of our problem is the genny is a 30kw 4cyl 200+cid diesel guzzling monster....... what could the manufacturer have been thinking???? In my opinion it is absurdly over sized, in fact when testing it's limits I had the wife go around and turn on every AC device she could find, including oven, washer/dryer, air units, chargers, lights, etc. and I could not get it loaded up in the slightest. There was no rpm pull down as it started digging in, nothing, you couldn't tell we turned anything on. I would like to pull it out and put in a 10kw but I just don't know if it's worth the cost. Also not sure how I would get it out, it's at least as big as one of my 3208 Cats. We do have an inverter so I am thinking my best solution will be to beef up the battery bank and just use the genny in the morning for an hour to charge the batteries.
2.5 Kw inverter, and a Northern Lights 12Kw, that's just barely hums, and it's the kinda hum that puts you to sleep. Also with a switch of a valve we could direct genny exhaust underwater.

Oliver, do you find the 12kw meets your needs? Mine is also a NL but mine doesn't hum you to sleep, it wakes the dead. I like that exhaust switch idea, it would be a godsend to keep the fumes down when swinging at anchor not to mention quieter.

Oliver, do you find the 12kw meets your needs? Mine is also a NL but mine doesn't hum you to sleep, it wakes the dead. I like that exhaust switch idea, it would be a godsend to keep the fumes down when swinging at anchor not to mention quieter.
it works great! Its runs all the AC's and have not tried it with appliances yet, but will get back to you on that. One thing to keep in mind is we run a 240v system, so we draw less amps at a higher voltage verse lower voltage higher amps. We have a total of 5 AC's totaling 64,000 BTU's. which keeps the boat nice and cool even on a hot summer humid sticky day. :)

When were you in the keys! and where did you stay? We were planning on doing a trip to the Fort. Thanks for the offer, is their much fog up there in the summer?

Fog is a minor issue, at displacement speed it's really not an issue at all. We were at Coral Lagoon Marina in Marathon.

Back
Top Bottom