Waterproofing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I am hoping that your failure was due to mixing the two different units of mineral spirits.i will pay close attention to see how it mixes up.If things go south At least I won't be out of pocket much as I was able to get the products almost free as I had so much credits on my Amazon account they only cost me about 10$ out of pocket.

Just curious, why go through the mess and trouble of mixing chemicals and silicone vs. using a product like 303 which is made for waterproofing canvas and other fabrics? It may not work as well on a bedsheet, but for boat canvas and patio umbrellas and shades, I've had great results. If you have a lot to do, you can buy in bulk and just use a garden sprayer.

Tag

I got all canvas is here started looking at him closely wouldn't you know one of them has a tag that says sunbrela on it with a sunbrela for the L is that authentic.idoad a pic but ain't figured that out yet

So I gotta ask.since it looks like I have a full set of canvas,I mean probably every one you could think of.judging by the stack of canvas,and as I just learned is sunbrela.If replaced today at today's cost how much money are we talking.as you see I'm totally in the dark here.

BTW, not to beat a dead horse, but 303 fabric guard is the only treatment endorsed by Sunbrella. From sunbrella.com:

If you notice, over time, that your finish is wearing away, try dripping some water on the fabric. If it beads off, the finish is still there. If it soaks into the fabric, we recommend cleaning thoroughly and retreating with 303® Fabric Guard™.

Many flybrIdge enclosures run $5k - $10k to replace. That's without additional window covers, camper back, etc. So $ depends but it ain't cheap.
That was my point about is it worth risking ruining it?
Silicone is a good waterproofer but it leaves an oily film that attracts & retains dirt that is difficult to remove and accelerates the wear & tear on sunbrella.
You won't know for several years how well ot bad it works long term.

Many flybrIdge enclosures run $5k - $10k to replace. That's without additional window covers, camper back, etc. So $ depends but it ain't cheap.
That was my point about is it worth risking ruining it?
Silicone is a good waterproofer but it leaves an oily film that attracts & retains dirt that is difficult to remove and accelerates the wear & tear on sunbrella.
You won't know for several years how well ot bad it works long term.

Thanks Don. Still waiting to hear why not use the 303 product recommended by Sunbrella? The science project of turning a bed sheet into a tarp is interesting, but I wouldn't do that to my boat canvas.

Wow I had no idea those canvases were so expensive. I understand what you're saying about using the 303. But I think in cost it would cost me a lot more to buy the 303 than they do it this way. I'm going to do one of the smallest one first and see how it turns out. They mostly seem like they're almost new. I don't think the guy that had the boat last even used him. Looks to me like they just been folded up for a long time. A couple have a little wear and tear spots but not much. I would imagine any stitching that needs to be taken care of should be done before I waterproof it shouldn't it. Cuz I've seen a few spots that look like they need restitching.and that was on the Bimini top. Which was set up on the aluminum frame but closed down that one has some damage to it I got it cleaned up as best I can but can only do so much.
Jack

Just looked up the 303 turns out it is Teflon and also Napatha and petroleum and a few other things.If I had not already ordered the stuff I did I probably might have used ,303 .But I learned a long time ago to pay attention to what they call hacks . which are normally means someone has figured out how to make a product or learned to do something efficiently ect..hell we been doing things like that at most my jobs.I saw the you tube jack and it looked good but I asked here for advice.

Hacks in my experience are made by people who have no skin in your outcome and just want to look good. Keep the spirits for cleaning a paintbrush and the silicone for sealing the tub. You aren’t out anything and give the 303 a rip. I’ve used it on old worn out canvas and it worked as advertised. Very little risk there.

Just looked up the 303 turns out it is Teflon and also Napatha and petroleum and a few other things.If I had not already ordered the stuff I did I probably might have used ,303 .But I learned a long time ago to pay attention to what they call hacks . which are normally means someone has figured out how to make a product or learned to do something efficiently ect..hell we been doing things like that at most my jobs.I saw the you tube jack and it looked good but I asked here for advice.

You asked for advice then ignored it. If 303 was not a good product, Sunbrella would not specifically recommend it. You can buy a gallon of it for about $75. Put it in a garden sprayer and you can probably do all your canvas in less than an hour. How much are you really saving by doing the youtube "hack" not to mention the time involved and the risk of ruining all that expensive canvas? I don't even know how you would get all that thick canvas into a container in order to fully coat it, but also what is it going to do to the windows (if you have any)? I wouldn't risk it personally, but I suspect you will proceed anyway. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom