Water Rage!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think they call that instant karma. Act like a jerk, your dinghy blows out. Even if they did wake his boat and he was right to be annoyed, you don't accost a woman like some angry nut job. Feisty woman though, swinging that oar. Lots of that exchange was hard to make out in Aussie though, might have to use Google translate for some of it.

Okay, now what's a bludger?? I need a translator.

Last edited:
Huh, I had no idea Aussies called small open aluminum boats "tinnys."

I'll wait for the Ozzy Man Reviews video on YouTube.

Speaking of beer cans, I think he had more than a few.

My guess he wants to rewind reality back to the point where he thought to himself, "Yah, right mate, you should swing back a wake her even more" :D

Not to cause instant thread drift but I couldn't help browsing the FB videos on "Bashing Tinnys" and came across the video on banning the sale of two stroke outboards in AUS in 2019. Did they really do that? Huh, what do you know, yes, according to Google they did. Boy, no firearms and no two stroke outboards -- and probably more potentially fatal poisonous wildlife per square inch than any other continent. Yikes.

Not to cause instant thread drift but I couldn't help browsing the FB videos on "Bashing Tinnys" and came across the video on banning the sale of two stroke outboards in AUS in 2019. Did they really do that? Huh, what do you know, yes, according to Google they did. Boy, no firearms and no two stroke outboards -- and probably more potentially fatal poisonous wildlife per square inch than any other continent. Yikes.

I believe that the current emission standards in the US is a de facto banning of two strokes. Not sure you can buy new any more. So only used ones for sale.

Not on FB so mainly got the wall.
Aluminum (we call it aluminium)small boats are commonly called "tinnies". Fairly sure Simi60 and others have used the term. Quintrex is the builder of choice. Rugged and safe, esp popular in coral areas.

Judging from the Australian flag display I`d guess the event happened on "Australia Day"(1/26/21, though we say 26/1/21) or "Invasion Day",depending on your viewpoint. Excess drinking is a common practice but doesn`t mix well with boating. And it`s an offence.
I bought a 2 stroke in 2018, was not aware we banned them. Glad I did, the Merc 3.3 is so light, but so fussy about fresh fuel.

Last edited:
Not on FB so mainly got the wall.
Aluminum (we call it aluminium)small boats are commonly called "tinnies". Fairly sure Simi60 and others have used the term. Quintrex is the builder of choice. Rugged and safe, esp popular in coral areas.

Judging from the Australian flag display I`d guess the event happened on "Australia Day"(1/26/21, though we say 26/1/21) or "Invasion Day",depending on your viewpoint. Excess drinking is a common practice but doesn`t mix well with boating. And it`s an offence.
I bought a 2 stroke in 2018, was not aware we banned them. Glad I did, the Merc 3.3 is so light, but so fussy about fresh fuel.

Tried to find it on YouTube for you, but no go. Maybe too recent.

Forgot to define "bludger". Multi faceted but:

someone who could but doesn`t work and relies on others for handouts, like Govt,charity,relatives, friends, etc, anyone really
someone not doing their part of work being done by a group, eg Municipal worker leaning on shovel
lazy person not doing their part of an activity and expecting others to take up the slack.
It`s a word often accompanied by an adjective which would bother the TF cuss filter.

Thank you. Sounds like a very useful word, I might have to start using it.

I'm just staggered the linguistic education of you US people is so lacking. We downunder know all the American words. I guess there are a lot more American movies watched here than Aussie movies watched there. But surely you've seen a few more Aussie movies than the Crocodile Dundee series..? :D

Tinnies, bludgers, thongs (instead of flip-flops) - as an ex-Kiwi I have to be careful not to say jandals. Yeah, all good common terms. Mostly shared by NZ, but one that isn't and I had never heard it till we moved here was 'rort.'

Yeah, bet no-one from North America will know that one. No helping them you Oz guys. :popcorn:

Last edited:
And Pete, to our friends,Google is your friend. Though possibly not ours anymore with their threat to pack up their bat and ball and return whence they came.
But, I had fun defining "bludger".:D

I first heard rort applied to the owner of Foster's beer, Alan Bond, when doing some work in Australia. He did some sailing too :rolleyes:

I first heard rort applied to the owner of Foster's beer, Alan Bond, when doing some work in Australia. He did some sailing too :rolleyes:
"Bondy" eventually went to jail for "mistaking' corporate property with his own. An English sign writer immigrant,colorful chap now deceased. Bought a big TV outfit from the Packer family, who later bought it back for a third of what Bond paid after the Bond empire went "belly up", Kerry Packer observing "You only get one Bond in your life".

Dictionary Definition: noun: rort; plural noun: rorts

1. informal•Australian
    a fraudulent or dishonest act or practice.eg.
    "a tax rort"
  2. engage in sharp practice

Last edited:
Did my apprenticeship building Southern Cross ll for Bondy back in the day

OMJpt31kTpyA7iuZaI66_Southern-Cross-II.webp

Let`s contrast "Water Rage" with a good news story. A teenage boy, autistic, non verbal, wandered off from home in an area very near our marina at Mooney Mooney/Brooklyn north of Sydney. After a 24 hour search, he was found safe and well by a local oyster farmer who was searching by checking moored boats in the area, on a catamaran charter houseboat sitting on a mooring near the charter base. He had taken swimming lessons and it seems he swam out to the boat and stayed there until found. Incidents like this can end badly, autistic teens have a tendency to get into serious difficulties, so it`s as happy an ending as you could hope. Here`s a news report which I hope plays:
https://www.facebook.com/9NewsSydney/videos/1688837937991727/

I'm just staggered the linguistic education of you US people is so lacking. We downunder know all the American words. I guess there are a lot more American movies watched here than Aussie movies watched there. But surely you've seen a few more Aussie movies than the Crocodile Dundee series..? :D
:popcorn:
They make movies in Australia?
They teach kids here in the US that Australia only made three movies,

Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Red Dog
Mad Max

Hollywood
:socool:

Aussies seem very fond of lopping off words and adding a Y.

I spent a few months traveling around the country using my Canadian credit card. Had no issues until I tried to buy a new business laptop at a store called Lappy King, when the transaction was declined until I called the card issuer. I continue to think that the business name set off an alert :)

Ok, well Bruce couldn't help helping by explaining rort - actually just a lazy way of saying rip-off I suspect, and ruined the quiz. Actually, for same reason, they like to save syllables, so refer to garbage collectors as garbos, fishermen as fishos, electricians as sparkies, and car registration as 'rego', etc. :popcorn:

Hollywood a fourth movie comes to mind.

My first experience with Australian life was a movie, the Sundowners. Ten years later I was in a Tucson hotel bar sharing libations with Robert Mitchum talking about movies he'd made. He had fond memories of shearing sheep in the movie.

We can't forget the TV series, "The Thorn Birds." Powerful.

Picnic At Hanging Rock!!!!

They make movies in Australia?
They teach kids here in the US that Australia only made three movies,

Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Red Dog
Mad Max

Hollywood
:socool:

And you DO know that Mad Max took place in 2021, right?

Never heard rort but knew tinnies.
Tin boat is used here by those who work on the water.
Sparkie to me has always been a welder.

My favorite Aussie words...Nicole Kidman.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom