RE: Water Quality in Tanks
**** As a rain water collector we regularly add 1 teaspoon of bleach per 50 gallons of water. ˝ teaspoon per 5 gallons seems like a lot, but considering that this procedure is recommended for really bad water it must be fine. Once a year or so we shock the system with bleach, kinda like what you do with a well system on land. For shocking we put the bleach in the tank, open up all faucets until you smell it, let it sit for about eight hours and flush it all out. It kills all the critters that might be lingering in the system.
*** We installed a charcoal filter in the salon JUST for drinking water. Using the 1 teaspoon per 50 gallon method, there is no chlorine taste in the drinking water. The shower water etc just smells clean. Works for us.