Old 03-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungpeter View Post
... I put in a 40W 110VAC sterilizer...I use it judiciously, in what (I hope) is good water. And I sterilize it immediately prior to consumption...
Pete: How did you plump in the sterilizer? Do you leave it on all the time? My understanding is that the UV system should be left on all the time because repeated starting shortens the lamp life significantly and there is also a 1-2 minute warm up time for the lamp.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Based on my research...you get more germs from touching door knobs, touching money and licking you fingers after a chicken dinner than from RO water.......
If you want to make it comparable, then you must lick the door knobs for considerable time, swallow the money and keep your chicken fingers in your mouth an extended time. Your comparison is very off. Those items you list are the equivalent of you sticking your hand under the water, not of you drinking it. Yes, door knobs and money have germs. But unless you have some unique fetish the germs aren't going down your throat and into your stomach immediately and certainly not in a liquid. Now, I would suggest washing your hands.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
If you want to make it comparable, then you must lick the door knobs for considerable time, swallow the money and keep your chicken fingers in your mouth an extended time. Your comparison is very off. Those items you list are the equivalent of you sticking your hand under the water, not of you drinking it. Yes, door knobs and money have germs. But unless you have some unique fetish the germs aren't going down your throat and into your stomach immediately and certainly not in a liquid. Now, I would suggest washing your hands.
I doubt it...for bacteria and viruses...if you can get sick from those things I mentioned...and usually it's getting them into mucus membranes not just your mouth...I can't be worried to much about a slightly higher dosage into my stomach that's full of acid. I have drunk some pretty nasty water in my day and never sick yet have had food poisoning from some pretty nice restaurants....

Most parasites are definitely removed with RO..so again what's better...and if I've been hearing the news correctly...bottled water is no where near as safe across the board either.

Did you know you can drink all the asbestos you want...just don't breath it?

Again...I know what works for me and being too sanitary seems overkill when you look at the big picture.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #24
Guru

City: Vermont
To the extend folks are worried about smelly municipal water, just run it through a charcoal filter on the way into your tank. And off-the-shelf whole house filter with replaceable activated carbon filter elements will remove all the bad taste from city water. We have found it to work very well.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #25
Guru

Well, we don't intend to try to drink asbestos. And we do intend to continue to drink bottled water. And I don't honestly know why our choosing to do so would bother any of the rest of you. We don't care what you drink. But all the additional talk and discussing germs on door knobs or the water making process or anything else isn't going to change our choice.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #26

City: Deltaville, VA
Vessel Name: Cork
Vessel Model: Halvorsen GC32
We only drink bottled water and use it for coffee as well. Our tank water is used for showers and dish washing. Several times a season I fill my tank with city water to about 1/4 full, add a quarter cup of Clorox, turn on all outlets until I smell the Clorox and then let it sit in the lines for 2 hours. I then run most of the water out and flush with new water. Cleans whole system. Most people tell me it's not a good idea and bad for the system components but I have done this in 6 different boats over 30 years with no damage and no problems.
I have had several older boats that I've had to replace water lines because the PO had taken on bad water or it smelled bad and simply would not clean up.
Bill Ranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #27
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Well, we don't intend to try to drink asbestos. And we do intend to continue to drink bottled water. And I don't honestly know why our choosing to do so would bother any of the rest of you. We don't care what you drink. But all the additional talk and discussing germs on door knobs or the water making process or anything else isn't going to change our choice.
And I don't care what you drink...we are just discussing what people do, don't do, realities of drinking anything...etc...

My point about asbestos was that I would have considered it dangerous to drink after all the issues about breathing it...until a boatload of experts convinced me it wasn't...at least for the time being.

Surprisingly...you can ingest all kinds of things that are harmful in other ways.

Just like margarine in butter...every few years medical science has convinced me that one will kill me and the other is OK....wait a few and the pendulum swings.

Just like worrying about bacteria in general...now research has shown avoiding it may be worse than a good dose now and then.

After a few years on here I know I rarely change anyone's mind....I just try and post stuff that people can use to make up their own minds what they should do.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
And I don't care what you drink...we are just discussing what people do, don't do, realities of drinking anything...etc...

My point about asbestos was that I would have considered it dangerous to drink after all the issues about breathing it...until a boatload of experts convinced me it wasn't...at least for the time being.

Surprisingly...you can ingest all kinds of things that are harmful in other ways.

Just like margarine in butter...every few years medical science has convinced me that one will kill me and the other is OK....wait a few and the pendulum swings.

Just like worrying about bacteria in general...now research has shown avoiding it may be worse than a good dose now and then.

After a few years on here I know I rarely change anyone's mind....I just try and post stuff that people can use to make up their own minds what they should do.
But by introducing totally irrelevant tangential information you don't aid your argument at all. Asbestos? Margarine and butter? Door knobs? Money? The discussion topic was water on our boats. We could get distracted and discuss a million other exposures and even the number of people dying from bacteria every year but that has nothing to do with water. I wouldn't suggest somehow a correlation between water and pneumonia or staph infection or any other form of bacteria. Did you have some plans of drinking asbestos?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #29
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Lots of people drink asbestos. Transite pipe is everywhere in North America. No big deal.

Say. Where does that bottled water come from anyways...
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Lots of people drink asbestos. Transite pipe is everywhere in North America. No big deal.

Say. Where does that bottled water come from anyways...
Ours comes from regular city water which is then processed, treated and bottled. We do not personally drink spring water but that's simply a matter of us not liking the taste.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #31
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
...The most efficient way to sterilize water and get free of inner bugs, is by mixing it at the sunset with 2 fingers of Johnnie Walker
Old 03-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #32

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
But by introducing totally irrelevant tangential information you don't aid your argument at all. Asbestos? Margarine and butter? Door knobs? Money? The discussion topic was water on our boats. We could get distracted and discuss a million other exposures and even the number of people dying from bacteria every year but that has nothing to do with water. I wouldn't suggest somehow a correlation between water and pneumonia or staph infection or any other form of bacteria. Did you have some plans of drinking asbestos?
BandB, As much as you post, I'm surprised you haven't noticed thread creep on almost every subject around here. Better get used to it instead of getting upset, or whatever you want to call it.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #33

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
Ours comes from regular city water which is then processed, treated and bottled. We do not personally drink spring water but that's simply a matter of us not liking the taste.
Who bottles it? You? This whole time I thought you meant store bought bottled water.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #34
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
As provided earlier everything gets into our water eventually, given time water is the universal solvent. In regards to asbestos it is naturally occurring and can be found in both surface and well water. The EPD has set a MCL (Max. Contaminant Level) for asbestos at 7mf per Liter. That is 7,000,000 fibers per liter. Transite (asbestos lined) pipe was used in water line installations and is still around but not recommended for new installation water applications anymore.
I have read most of this thread over the past two days and in the process of conducting test on freezing into solid cubes both RO obtained water, "local municipal water, and water from my own well. Makers Mark will be applied liberally over all test cubes and report to follow.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
Who bottles it? You? This whole time I thought you meant store bought bottled water.
Coca Cola, Pepsi, Dr Pepper.

Coca Cola bottles Dasani, Pepsi bottles Aqua Fina, Dr. Pepper bottles Deja Blue.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #36
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Coca Cola, Pepsi, Dr Pepper.
I think the caffeine in those actually makes for negative hydration.
We take good old Sydney tap water in 10-15L containers that originally contained "spring water", (which sometimes turns out to be just filtered tap water). Locals seem to tolerate local water, in Philippines I would never drink local water, but the locals do.
A friend has a filter plumbed off his tanks and is very happy with it.
One time our tap water somehow got giardia and cryptospiridium in it. It was fixed by scientific research, high tech treatment, and a State election. You couldn`t have mightily pissed off people going to vote after weeks of daily boiling State supplied tap water for drinking.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I think the caffeine in those actually makes for negative hydration.
We take good old Sydney tap water in 10-15L containers that originally contained "spring water", (which sometimes turns out to be just filtered tap water). Locals seem to tolerate local water, in Philippines I would never drink local water, but the locals do.
A friend has a filter plumbed off his tanks and is very happy with it.
One time our tap water somehow got giardia and cryptospiridium in it. It was fixed by scientific research, high tech treatment, and a State election. You couldn`t have mightily pissed off people going to vote after weeks of daily boiling State supplied tap water for drinking.
No, we don't drink the soft drinks. We drink water they bottle. Coca Cola bottles Dasani. Pepsi bottles Aqua Fina. Dr. Pepper bottles Deja Blue. We don't drink any caffeinated drink.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:30 AM   #38
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
To Larry M: To my knowledge, UV sterilizers work literally at the speed of light-no warm up required. And, the longer the water is irradiated, the more likely that none of the "bugs" survive their swim through your water system and into your body. So sizing the sterilizer to your flow rate is important. And yes, I do subscribe to professional medical opinion that bacteria and viruses do, in fact, live in your fresh water system, no matter the source of the water that was placed into the storage tank.

Again, to the best of my understanding, a UV sterilizer is most properly used (in the context of our recreational vessels) immediately downstream of the water storage tank outlet, and therefore prior to any end-use of the water. One could argue that, given the lengthy fresh water piping runs on a typical boat, a UV sterilizer should more properly be employed immediately UPSTREAM of each outlet intended for human consumption. But that's not really practical, so a single UV sterilizer plumbed into the fresh water supply immediately downstream from the storage tank was my choice for my installation.

Mine runs on 40W of 110VAC. The sterilizer was sized to be somewhat larger than the maximum output of my fresh water pump, which is ~5gpm. I used a sterilizer rated for 12gpm flow. As the sterilization chamber (about 2" dia x 36" long) gets rather hot (~120 deg F) without water circulating through the chamber, I do not leave it on 24/7. Rather, I plumbed a flow sensor downstream of the demand water pump that activates a 12V/110V relay to provide power to the sterilizer whenever water flowed through the water pump, and 110VAC was available. In the instructions I received from the manufacturer of my sterilizer, there was no indication that it would be harmed by intermittent operation. It's really only a fluorescent light bulb, but emitting in the UV band instead of the visible light spectrum. How long will the bulb last? Beats me-they're cheap and easy to replace should the bulb fail.

Mine was supplied by the Clean Water Store. Residential Well Water Treatment, Iron Filters, Acid Neutralizers, Chlorinators

All-up cost was ~$300, including sterilizer, flow sensor, water hose, relay, wiring, etc.

Hope this helps.

Pete
jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #39
FF
Guru

I plumbed a flow sensor downstream of the demand water pump that activates a 12V/110V relay to provide power to the sterilizer whenever water flowed through the water pump, and 110VAC was available.

So you have no accumulator , and the FW pump runs for every drop of water?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #40
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungpeter View Post
To Larry M: To my knowledge, UV sterilizers work literally at the speed of light-no warm up required...
Nice set up but I'd check with the manufacturer. Florescent bulbs do need warm up time before they reach full light output so I would think the UV lamps would also. This came from an installation/operation and maintenance manual put out by Atlantic Ultraviolet Corp.

RECOMMENDED OPTIONS

8. Time Delay Mechanism: Provides a 2-minute warm up period during which the ultraviolet lamp achieves its full

germicidal output before the water is allowed to flow through the water purifier. The time delay mechanism is used in conjunction with, and is electrically connected to the Solenoid Valve.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote