Water pump problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

finecar

Vessel Make
42' CHB Ponderosa
We have a 42' CHB Ponderosa and all of sudden the fresh water system stop working without any noise from the water pump. Nothing coming out of the faucets and no noise of the pump working. We have filled the water tanks again but when we switch on the water pump there is no sound coming from the pump. Has the pump broken or is there another possibility? Thanks.

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. f. Welcome aboard, if i missed you. " Has the pump broken or is there another possibility?" Most likely a fuse somewhere. Could also be a loose/broken wire or someone flipped the switch off accidentally.
When confronted with pretty well any problem I usually check/do the easiest and cheapest things FIRST.
Check switch is on.
Check fuse is still OK.
Check connections INCLUDING ground connection(s).

Check all the easy stuff first...

But pumps do crap out.

If you can find yours, prove its got the right feed of electrical current, and it still doesn't pump... sometimes replacement is relatively easy, depending on access and so forth.

Some offer some intermediate-level fixes, like parts replacement (pressure switch, etc.). But then, if the one you have is old... you maybe got your money's worth.

Name the pump, brand/model, size/voltage, etc., and some folks might know best how to troubleshoot further.

-Chris

A tip if you do replace your pump...replace it with one of the same capacity you have now.

Talked to a fellow who replaced his with a higher capacity pump, then didn't notice it blew a hose connection off while underway until his whole water tank had almost drained. Got pretty exciting trying to figure out why there was ankle deep in water in the galley :eek:

Check for voltage at the pump and if there, check again at the motor to eliminate the pressure switch. Pressure switches can be a PITA both for initiating the pump's motor and also to shut it off. I replaced mine with a deep well pump pressure switch for about $25.

If you have power to the pump motor and good connections, It's probably a bad pump motor. If you have power to the pressure switch but not the pump, it's the switch. No power at all, fuse/breaker, bad connections.
If your pump has a switch on the end of the pump, they are unreliable and like foggysail, I replace them with a well pump switch.

Name the pump, brand/model, size/voltage, etc., and some folks might know best how to troubleshoot further.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Without that info you have limited responses to very generic answers.

I always have a spare pump, I use the same type pump with quick connect water fittings and prewire a polarized plug to it so I can change out the pump in less then 3 min. Yep they never go out when it's a good time.
9k=

Z

images

9k=

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom