Water maker pressure gauge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
Working on getting my water maker to make water and going through the system need to replace the pressure gauge. The manufacturer states I need

https://www.boundlessoutfitters.com/VMT-Pressure-Gauge-p/vmt-40-0302.htm

While looking through goggle I come across this

https://www.amazon.com/2-1-Liquid-Filled-Pressure-Gauges/dp/B006VCGLP4/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=LIQUID%2BFILLED%2BPRESSURE%2BGAUGE%2B0%2Bto%2B1000%2BPSI%2BCENTER%2BBACK%2BMOUNT%2B0-1000%2B1%2F4%22%2BNPT%2BMALE%2B2.5%22%2BFACE%2BDIAL&qid=1593614780&sr=8-7&th=1

Don't get me wrong I don't want to be cheap and want to replace the gauge with what will work but I also don't care to spend money when not needed. This look nearly identical. 1/4" center connection same size. In theory it should work perfectly. What say you? :huh:

Last edited:
Sorry, fixed the link.

My opinion, with 1,000 PSI go for the more expensive one.

Thats what I did. Trying to remember the brand, but made in America industrial quality.

We replaced our pressure gauge with one I found on line. We also have a Parker/Village Marine water maker. It’s been working fine for 5 years or so.

I’d check the Amazon one though. The description and the picture don’t match.

If only for comparison check out the gauges at McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com).
They have every type, size and range but no garbage. I get my stuff in 1 day, too.

$11 seems really cheap and makes me suspicious. $125 seems really expensive and makes me suspicious.

I've bought a bunch of gauges in this general pressure range, and it's worth getting a quality device, glycerin filled. I'd expect to pay in the $50 range, just as a reference point.

And I'm thinking that brass isn't such a good idea with salt water. Maybe the VM gauge is all stainless where in contact with the water?

Looks like this might be a winner.

Perfect, I am going to try that one before spending any more time or $$ on this. The water maker hasn't ran in seven years. It's a good start. Thanks.

Found out the stock pressure gauge has dimples on the side to hold it in place. The gauge I bought doesn't have any so off to Amazon again - bingo, second order looks like a winner. I'll be installing this weekend. I'll report back.

Perfect, second one worked like a charm. $20 Amazon w/ the dimples I needed. An exact replacement. About 30 minutes later a few flushes and about 400psi freshwater and I had 25 gallons an hour. Man this thing is noisy - about as loud as the gen set. That's ok fresh water when cruising! Yeah

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom