Water Maker or just tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Simi, my N46 was happier with full water tanks. They were located in the keel.
When a big storm was predicted, I always filled my water tanks and emptied the sanitary tank (50gal) Always check the generator too. Ran for an hour+ loaded, before it was actually needed.
I do the same on my AT34.
One can never tell if or when the marina will lose power and water.
When Irma came through, we lost power for maybe 48 hours. I could have run the generator and lived a 'normal' life but I did not want to attract attention of the condo dwellers. They may have become an unruly mob with flaming torches and stormed the boat, looking for an air conditioned space, hot coffee and food. Thankfully the marina and surrounding condos are on the same leg as the hospital so.... the hospital is a priority and we get power "incidentally".

Last edited:
Hmmmm, if you run low on fuel before you run out of water, that seems to be the correct ratio.
Even a small (low output) 12vt water maker, if you have the space, is a good idea, IMO.
Of course if you have multiple tanks you may need to install a valve manifold to direct the WM output to each tank or designate one tank to accept the WM output.

First year we didn’t have a WM as we debated high v low output, AC v DC. Water costs 25 to 35 cents a gallon and may still need filtering in the Caribbean. No showers on passage may result in “passage pimples”. Both dishes and clothes still need a fresh water rinse as do you after a swim. We decided on a Cape Horn Extreme. No electronics to break. The solar or the wind generators were sufficient to run it so batteries were brought to 100% SOC daily without the genset unless it was very overcast or windless. Only when there was long term company was water a thought having 200 g. But it’s not free lunch. Filters, especially the carbon ones are an expense. Unless you have a Z ion set up protecting the system is a chore and expense. There’s no potable water antifreeze anywhere in the tropics or sub tropics so restocking is difficult or buying SC-1 is an expense. RO water ends up being a constant expense.
We had two 100g water tanks. One was kept RO (no beach or membrane killing chemicals in it, being sterile hard for anything to grow in it) and one shore (or RO when shore ran out). Only ran RO in the heads but that system could take it without injury. Still had whole boat filtering and UV is still a good idea placed on the draw from the tanks.
Much to think about before turning on the Spectra. Is there oil or other hydrocarbons in the water? Rules out many anchorages and all slips/marinas. Is there a high amount of sediment (near coastal Maine) or bloom? Even with good backflushes if your intake lines have any length you may get a slight sulfur smell in product water or run through your filters real fast. How often will we run it? Found twice a week the sweet spot. Frequent use actually means less troubles in our experience. Our membrane was perfect after 7 1/2 years. Think there’s a misconception (at least we had it). If you have a WM you need to have running it as a part of your routine. That’s pretty much only practical for long term cruisers. Otherwise your pickling it and unpickling it all the time which is simple but a PIA.
So think for the majority of coastal cruisers with good access to potable water money better spent on a good filtering system and sanitation of the boats water system. For us the WM was a huge improvement in quality of life but that can be achieved with much less expense, maintenance and ongoing effort in the typical coastal setting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art
Ksanders, interesting to hear how easy pickling has been for you. I have been fresh water flushing mine every 7 days, but I am on the boat a lot, all year round. There have been a few times I had my slip neighbor go aboard and do it. I will likely pickle this Fall during the offseason.

Our WM got cranked up recently and has produced about 1,000 gals over the last few weeks. It will go back on again in late July when I head back out, and be run through October while we are cruising the local Islands. We couldn’t do what we are doing, without one.

Ksanders, interesting to hear how easy pickling has been for you. I have been fresh water flushing mine every 7 days, but I am on the boat a lot, all year round. There have been a few times I had my slip neighbor go aboard and do it. I will likely pickle this Fall during the offseason.

Our WM got cranked up recently and has produced about 1,000 gals over the last few weeks. It will go back on again in late July when I head back out, and be run through October while we are cruising the local Islands. We couldn’t do what we are doing, without one.

I pickle every time I leave the boat.

Yes i could fresh water flush, and i have an automatic system but pickling is so easy. and fast, and IO do not have to worry about having enough water on board for a fresh water flush if my time away gets extended.

I also have an auto FWF, but I would never leave the domestic water pump on while away from the boat.

I also have an auto FWF, but I would never leave the domestic water pump on while away from the boat.

Mine is set up to use the low pressure pump and water from the tank.

It is still easier to pickle. Often i am low on water when i leave the boat and I do not want to have to run the watermaker to add to the tank, just for flushing water.

When I have looked at adding a watermaker, I have looked at the similar types of systems that Kevin described. Relatively inexpensive, uses off the shelf parts, and since it is modular can be made to fit in available space.

I can carry 350 gallons of water in two tanks. Plenty of water for how we use the boat most of the time. However, when heading in to BC, water is harder to come by in the islands. I have to be pretty ruthless with water discipline if we have extra folks on the boat for a week.

A watermaker would alleviate that pressure. It is something that is on my “when I get a round tuit” list.

I just plumbed in a Spectra Venture 200T. We have 400g (!) of tankage waaaay in the stern of our trawler - when I fill the tanks to the top she's stern down a good bit which I don't love for the 10hr passage to Catalina. This summer we'll be cruising the islands with the wife, two dogs, our three kids, and often another two friend kids aboard for about six weeks.

We found that we can go 2 weeks on about 300 gallons by limiting usage. A poll after the last trip indicated that the biggest thing we could do to improve comfort would be to eliminate the water restrictions & allow our near-teenage kids their showers and post-swim rinse-offs. We are all looking forward to testing out the new toy in a few weeks!

in so cal i always take saltwater showers and just rinse off with fresh.

I have 40 GPD water maker and only a 15 gal FW tank on my 30 footer.

I rarely use my WM in SoCal but will use it in the sea of cortes for drinking water.

BTW should not pickle or rinse system with fresh water due to chlorine content.

Last edited:
Wifey B: Watermaker, watermaker, watermaker. :D

Ok, lots of females aboard, lots of long hair. I am not going to cut down on showering or on washing my hair. Fortunately, neither is hubby although we do conserve by showering together.

As mentioned above, the space you save too can be huge and used for so many other things.

We also run in a lot of places that I don't trust the water and that includes many US marinas. I don't want to cook with it or wash dishes with it and don't want to shower in it. :eek:

So, for lifestyle, for quality water, for so many reasons, I'm watermaker all the way. :)

When off grid, it takes it from camping to feeling like you are in a small house. We use a lot of water to wash off gear, showers on the swim step as we are in and out of the water all day long, and boat wash downs every week or so to remove the red clay island dust and salt build up.

BTW should not pickle or rinse system with fresh water due to chlorine content.

Ours is very much a KISS system.
Simple systems are how I like things, less breakdowns and easily serviced.

At start, 10 litres of test water goes to a 20 litre bucket with a 12v bilge pump super glued in the bottom, hose from that to a 2 way valve.

Flick test/tank valve and water now runs via 40ft of hose uncoiled from ER to the tank fill aft

When finished, leave HP pump running, wind off needle valve, turn on bilge pump in bucket and flick 2 way valve and when water level has dropped turn off system and roll up hose ready for next time.

Sounds complicated but takes minutes and I am in the ER anyway

Of course we could install a carbon filter and connect to house water supply but that's too much effort getting the plumbing runs sorted

Last edited:
Watermaker happiness is in my opinion based on how the installation was thought out.

Here is a great example...

On my boat getting into the lazarette is often not as convenient as on some boats. I put stuff in the lazarette like chairs, a bait cooler, etc... Plus the lazarette is carpeted with four removable outdoor matts. Yes I can get to it, but if I had to do it daily it would be no fun at all.

So... I thought out my installation and put the operators panel in the salon where I can get to it.
All the valves to pickle, etc... are in the engine room
The "test spigot" is actually a spigot in my galley just like a little 2nd faucet that only puts out fresh water.
I also added a inline TDS meter (amazon $49) to make veriufying the water quality easy.

In short I made my watermaker user friendly, and that makes it pleasant to use, which lead me to actually use it and abandon the very concept of taking on or drinking dock water.

Wifey B: Watermaker, watermaker, watermaker. :D

Ok, lots of females aboard, lots of long hair. I am not going to cut down on showering or on washing my hair. Fortunately, neither is hubby although we do conserve by showering together.

As mentioned above, the space you save too can be huge and used for so many other things.

We also run in a lot of places that I don't trust the water and that includes many US marinas. I don't want to cook with it or wash dishes with it and don't want to shower in it. :eek:

So, for lifestyle, for quality water, for so many reasons, I'm watermaker all the way. :)

"... although we do conserve by showering together."

You must shut off the spigot during shower-time "interludes" - Yes?? :D :thumb:

"... although we do conserve by showering together."

You must shut off the spigot during shower-time "interludes" - Yes?? :D :thumb:

Wifey B: No, we have a watermaker, don't need to. :D

Ah yes, the silicon lubes, good for lubricating the tracks of the sliding windows too.

For in-shower "special use"... water resistant only - not water proof! :hide:

I have a 12vt Spectra Newport 400 Mk2 with a Spectra remote. One day I may find it necessary to use. If not, the next owner will be happy. SMILE

Per the manual pump. Did you get the chrome one with handle?
I had a foot pump on my N46 and periodically I would wack foot on it.

I bought the Valterra on sale for $23 in 2019. Back then tbe price range was $30 to $36 normally. I should have bought an extra for my head.

HandPumpAndInstallHowTo.jpg

If memory serves me I swapped out the barbed fitting for a different size (1/4" vs 3/8") as I could buy 100' of the 1/4" hose for less than what it would cost me for the two runs (galley, and later the head) of 3/8"

I still haven't found it necessary to buy/install on in the head. There's not a lot of room there.

Reviews on Amazon said it leaks. I've not had that issue.

Thanks. That Step A, drill a hole, could be scary on my counter top. Aint no second chance.

Back
Top Bottom