Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2023, 08:13 PM   #1
Member
 
City: Clear lake, TX
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 19
water leaking from flybridge

I have had my 81 Californian 34 LRC Trawler for a few weeks now. It rained last week and it was coming in from the AC vent. This is a main Salon AC, which is housed in the Flybridge Console. I but silicon over all components up there and hoped that would take care of it....However, it just started storming again. and then water coming in. I need to find out where and how and fix. Has anyone else had this issue? If there a console flybridge cover I can locate?
masonturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 08:36 PM   #2
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,329
Greetings,
Mr. m. Silicone causes many more problems than what it attempts to solve. The use of any silicone on a boat transforms what might have been a simple repair into an exercise in futility (FULL removal of silicone AND all traces is extremely difficult) and makes a proper long lasting repair potentially impossible IMO.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:39 PM   #3
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 13,104
masonturner, I doubt your boat is irreparable by using silicone, provided you used the "roof and gutter" variety which unlike the "bathroom" variety will accept paint. Even so, better to use a polyurethane sealant.
Water travels,the entry point is often not the obvious. Can you trace back to the ac on the FB? You might need to lift the unit on the FB to seal around/under it. Observing while it is raining may help. Try taping plastic sheet over the roof ac and see if that stops it. You need to fix it or you`ll be dealing with rot.
Pics of the roof located ac unit would help.
__________________
BruceK
2005 Integrity 386 "Sojourn"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 20,557
I never use silicone caulking because it is almost impossible to completely remove. I use Sika 291 for almost all general caulking.

I would take a garden hose up there and start at the lowest area that you think is leaking. Run the hose for a while and see if you get a leak and it may take a while for the water to leak through so go slowly and be patient. If the water doesnít leak in then move to the next area and see what happens. Give it time to work its way in. If you move too quickly to the next area you wonít be able to tell exactly where the water is coming from.

Once you identify where the water is coming from you should take the parts off and clean the area thoroughly. Then put new caulk in and reassemble the parts. Do not just try squirting some around the area and hope it fixes it. Properly rebedding things is a lot of work and takes a lot of time so do it correctly the first time because if you donít do it correctly you will move on looking for the leak and you will have passed it up.

And get rid of the silicone caulkÖ
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:19 AM   #5
Member
 
City: Clear lake, TX
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
masonturner, I doubt your boat is irreparable by using silicone, provided you used the "roof and gutter" variety which unlike the "bathroom" variety will accept paint. Even so, better to use a polyurethane sealant.
Water travels,the entry point is often not the obvious. Can you trace back to the ac on the FB? You might need to lift the unit on the FB to seal around/under it. Observing while it is raining may help. Try taping plastic sheet over the roof ac and see if that stops it. You need to fix it or you`ll be dealing with rot.
Pics of the roof located ac unit would help.
Thanks. I only used the silicon to isolate quickly. It will all be coming off when I prep to gel coat. It has been neglected, but I am going to bring back to new. I do not se how to remover at all. The AC unit is in the FB console.
Attached Thumbnails
20230926_071525.jpg   20230926_071304.jpg   20230926_071312.jpg   20230926_071354.jpg  
masonturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:22 AM   #6
Member
 
City: Clear lake, TX
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 19
AS you can see in the photo. The Inside salon photo shows the 2 vents. one is the return and the other it the Output with cold air. Now, up in FB, the inside of the cabintet has water in it. I believe water is coming in the cabinet and working its wat through the AC duct and coming in. It is not just a drip either.
masonturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:49 AM   #7
Member
 
City: Clear lake, TX
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I never use silicone caulking because it is almost impossible to completely remove. I use Sika 291 for almost all general caulking.

I would take a garden hose up there and start at the lowest area that you think is leaking. Run the hose for a while and see if you get a leak and it may take a while for the water to leak through so go slowly and be patient. If the water doesnít leak in then move to the next area and see what happens. Give it time to work its way in. If you move too quickly to the next area you wonít be able to tell exactly where the water is coming from.

Once you identify where the water is coming from you should take the parts off and clean the area thoroughly. Then put new caulk in and reassemble the parts. Do not just try squirting some around the area and hope it fixes it. Properly rebedding things is a lot of work and takes a lot of time so do it correctly the first time because if you donít do it correctly you will move on looking for the leak and you will have passed it up.

And get rid of the silicone caulkÖ
Thanks again the Silicon was a temp quick fix. It was in between pouring rain. It definitely is pretty instant. Rain starts then rain starts from AC 3 mins later. This tells me it takes 3 mins in heavy rain to fill up the floor of the console. I will go up today ones it dries out and investigate
Attached Thumbnails
20230926_071312.jpg  
masonturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:51 AM   #8
Member
 
City: Clear lake, TX
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 19
I think I am going to use my super bright LED floodlight and put it in the console tonight and see where i see light? The would mean water entrance?
masonturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:21 AM   #9
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,329
Greetings,
Mr. m. For those "emergency fixes" I would keep some butyl tape handy. You can gob wads of the sticky tape onto, into and around suspected leak sources, even whilst wet to minimize/stop any leakage AND it can readily be removed without the residual contamination of the dreaded silicone.


That being said, I tend to agree your source IS quite probably the FB "eyebrow" (what we call the area under the upper station). It does look like it needs attention.


Edit: For the time being it might be of an advantage to drape and fasten a tarp over the whole area. That should give you some breathing room/time. A bright light MAY give you some ideas of suspect areas but I think you'll have to start by re-bedding ALL the fitments including the windscreen wooden frames. Start on the outside and work to the inside of the eyebrow.


You will have to take off ALL the "stuff", clean up. seal all unnecessary penetrations and really seal the neccessary ones (for wiring/fasteners etc.) really well.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:26 AM   #10
Member
 
City: Clear lake, TX
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. m. For those "emergency fixes" I would keep some butyl tape handy. You can gob wads of the sticky tape onto, into and around suspected leak sources, even whilst wet to minimize/stop any leakage AND it can readily be removed without the residual contamination of the dreaded silicone.


That being said, I tend to agree your source IS quite probably the FB "eyebrow" (what we call the area under the upper station). It does look like it needs attention.
Thanks. It is on the list of things to do. I WAS going to focus lower but now that it is presenting a problem, it goes right to the top of the list.
masonturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:31 AM   #11
Guru
 
Pete Meisinger's Avatar
 
City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,097
If you have a teak flybridge, you probably have literally hundreds of little leaks, between the planks. Is the flybridge soft? If so you are probably looking at replacing it.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:37 AM   #12
Member
 
City: Clear lake, TX
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
If you have a teak flybridge, you probably have literally hundreds of little leaks, between the planks. Is the flybridge soft? If so you are probably looking at replacing it.

pete
there is some teak, like the instrument panels. I will be changing those, but 99% is Fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
20230926_071304.jpg   20230926_071354.jpg  
masonturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 10:23 AM   #13
Guru
 
Xlantic's Avatar
 
City: Mahůn, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 501
ŅIs there no drain hole in the console for water to drain out? You may want to look for one and clear it out if clogged.

If not, you may consider drilling a well-placed hole to drain until you solve the ultimate problem of the rain-water coming in.
__________________
Gilberto
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 10:32 AM   #14
Guru
 
City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 1,379
I think Iíd start by doing a thorough cleaning of that whole area. Then look to see where the water is pooling, and where itís running down. If it only takes a few minutes it should be easy to spot after the area is tidied up.
Have to agree though, itís most likely a combination of small or medium sized leaks resulting in a large one.
Bmarler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 01:27 PM   #15
Member
 
City: Clear lake, TX
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarler View Post
I think Iíd start by doing a thorough cleaning of that whole area. Then look to see where the water is pooling, and where itís running down. If it only takes a few minutes it should be easy to spot after the area is tidied up.
Have to agree though, itís most likely a combination of small or medium sized leaks resulting in a large one.
Agreed. I am doing that after work today. I have a lot to clean out of there from what was left from the Previous Owner
masonturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 05:49 PM   #16
Member
 
City: Clear lake, TX
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 19
I I cleaned it out, soaked up all the water, dirt and grime. there is no drain. It has a 1 inch lip all around so when water gets in from the top, it jus fills up up until it gets to the old plywood box that encompasses the squirrel cage of the fan I am going to pull everything off, use that time to repair holes, sand and paint. Then re-bed everything with the modern gauges and that should fix my problem
masonturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 05:54 PM   #17
Member
 
City: Clear lake, TX
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 19
yes, i like this plan
masonturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:14 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Max1's Avatar
 
City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Bermuda Belle
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
If you have a teak flybridge, you probably have literally hundreds of little leaks, between the planks. Is the flybridge soft? If so you are probably looking at replacing it.

pete
YEs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonturner View Post
I I cleaned it out, soaked up all the water, dirt and grime. there is no drain. It has a 1 inch lip all around so when water gets in from the top, it jus fills up up until it gets to the old plywood box that encompasses the squirrel cage of the fan I am going to pull everything off, use that time to repair holes, sand and paint. Then re-bed everything with the modern gauges and that should fix my problem
For sure!

Fix it ASAP! and do it right. You don't want to get to a situation where you have to rebuild the flybridge!

Since we bought our project boat in 2021, there was always these annoying leaks into the cabin from above. We had it in the water in 2022 but every time it rained, we had bucket, pots and tarps stretched out in the main cabin to catch the drips (and there were others we didnít see but saw the results in the form of puddles here and there.)
This spring I had the idea of removing the brow and giving the entire flybidge a fresh coat of FG cloth and gelcoat. "Should be easy"....

Till I took the brow off and discovered some rot holes. Took out the captainís chairs and found more holes (and rot!!). Let me cut out the rot.... Then I find more rot.....Next thing I knew I had the entire flybridge off and rebuilt the whole thing. Took me two months. Tapered beams, 2 layers of 10mm ply, each layer offset by 2' so that there were NO overlapping seams between first and second layer. first layer glued and screwed to the beams, second layer glued and screwed to the first. skim coat, 2 layers of FG cloth, 2 layers of skim coat and then gelcoat (only one coat this year- ran out of time because I wanted to LAUNCH!!
Since rebuilding, I have not put a SINGLE hole in the new flybridge deck. Everything is bonded to the deck. No holes, no screws. Main cabin has been bone-dry ever since. Worth it but I would have preferred not to have gone through all that hassle "if only" the previous owners had done some "PROPER" preventative maintenance on it! A stitch in time saves nine!






Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 10:34 AM   #19
Member
 
City: Clear lake, TX
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1 View Post
YEs!



For sure!

Fix it ASAP! and do it right. You don't want to get to a situation where you have to rebuild the flybridge!

Since we bought our project boat in 2021, there was always these annoying leaks into the cabin from above. We had it in the water in 2022 but every time it rained, we had bucket, pots and tarps stretched out in the main cabin to catch the drips (and there were others we didnít see but saw the results in the form of puddles here and there.)
This spring I had the idea of removing the brow and giving the entire flybidge a fresh coat of FG cloth and gelcoat. "Should be easy"....

Till I took the brow off and discovered some rot holes. Took out the captainís chairs and found more holes (and rot!!). Let me cut out the rot.... Then I find more rot.....Next thing I knew I had the entire flybridge off and rebuilt the whole thing. Took me two months. Tapered beams, 2 layers of 10mm ply, each layer offset by 2' so that there were NO overlapping seams between first and second layer. first layer glued and screwed to the beams, second layer glued and screwed to the first. skim coat, 2 layers of FG cloth, 2 layers of skim coat and then gelcoat (only one coat this year- ran out of time because I wanted to LAUNCH!!
Since rebuilding, I have not put a SINGLE hole in the new flybridge deck. Everything is bonded to the deck. No holes, no screws. Main cabin has been bone-dry ever since. Worth it but I would have preferred not to have gone through all that hassle "if only" the previous owners had done some "PROPER" preventative maintenance on it! A stitch in time saves nine!






WOW what a project!! Thank you for sharing
masonturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012