Water Hyacinth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scary

Guru
Vessel Name
Cary'D Away
Vessel Make
Hatteras 48 LRC
You guy's up north may get ice, but we get Eichhornia Crassipes. The invasive plant plaques the south delta, choking harbors and slow moving sloughs. the only thing that gets through this mess is a Air boat. Department of Waterways understaffed for this problem, sprays herbicide from a aluminum john boat and several airboats. What they miss comes back faster than they can kill it. the darker green areas are small areas they missed. As it stands no one can leave this harbor. it wraps around props, fouls water inlets and sea strainers. It's heavy so it doesn't push out of the way easily. The hyacinth impacts most of the south Delta beginning in late Sept and hangs out until spring. up on the Sacramento and Steamboat slough the current is strong enough to keep the hyacinth at bay. An import from South America by way of backyard fish ponds.

Attachments

• IMG_20141028_131915919.jpg
    IMG_20141028_131915919.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20141028_131945550 (3).jpg
    IMG_20141028_131945550 (3).jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20141028_132004458.jpg
    IMG_20141028_132004458.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_20141028_132115166.jpg
    IMG_20141028_132115166.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 701
Wow, I had no idea. Up here they are sold in garden centers for water gardens and koi ponds for $7 each. The deep cold kills them every fall, they're not winter hardy up here so they don't accumulate - so I have to buy more every spring.

Not only that it blocks everything, but it also deprives oxygenation at night, killing life underneath.

Steve: If you could only get the nutria to eat the hyacinth. Took me six hours to get out of Miners Canal once.

BLACKENED NUTRIA WITH A WATER LILLY SALAD PAIRED WITH A NICE CALIFORNIA RED :smitten:

It's a problem in South Florida as well. Manatees like to eat them but we don't have enough manatees. Of course in California they have the Hue Manatee. When it gets the munchies it can eat a lot of hyacinth.

Apparently the water hyacinth is not a new problem. A friend gave me a marine magazine from the 1930's today. As I looked through it there was a photo of a large barge/houseboat equipped with a harvester for hyacinth.

The plant came to Louisiana in 1884 during the world's fair of that year. The more interesting story is of the nutria which broke out from Mcilhenny's (tobasco) farm during a hurricane at a time when the gator population was rather diminished. McIlhenny raised them for their fur and paint brush material.

Sorry, I don't understand the question

I apologize, the original poster is also named Steve. I should have been more specific. I was asking him if thie pictures posted were of Ladd's Marina in Stockton, CA.

Agencies are searching for some sort of biological control but no luck yet.

If there were as many MANATIES as slow wake zones for Manaties , the problrm would be gone.

We have it behind our digs and its great to see the green stuff go under and never come back up.

Sorta like watching Russian submarines.

Agencies are searching for some sort of biological control but no luck yet.

If there were as many MANATIES as slow wake zones for Manaties , the problrm would be gone.

The TF Spelling Police hereby issue you a citation for the following transgressions:

MANATIES should be spelled Manatees (2 offenses)

problrm should be spelled problem (1 offense)

I have seen that crap before.It can get thick enough to walk on and not sink past ankle deep.I'm surprised someone has found a way to profit from getting rid of it.I would hate for all those chemicals to end up in the water.

attachment.php

A weed harvest barge would work, but it would fill up after moving 100feet.

Hit a big clump in the Waccamaw river in SC two weeks ago, running 22kts. Boat made a shudder and recovered. Must have shook it off. The amount there in Cali is insane.

They need a long reach....
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1414725630.376746.jpg

Great to know , my wife is writing the

MANATEE COOK BOOK .

They are in fact Ladds

I apologize, the original poster is also named Steve. I should have been more specific. I was asking him if thie pictures posted were of Ladd's Marina in Stockton, CA.
They have been sprayed, hopefully we will get a good frost this winter and the problem will go away. This could be anywhere on the loop as well. The feral pigs on the islands on the San Joaquin are swimming out and eating it. Maybe we need more pigs.

Known as the American Hippo bill, H.R. 23621 around 1910

Believe it or not this bill was introduced voted on and only lost by one vote. The idea was to introduce African Hippos to the Louisiana delta to control water hyacinth. I guess at the time there was a meat shortage and the thought was to kill two birds at once. Can you imagine one of the most dangerous African animals swimming in your fishing hole.

Believe it or not this bill was introduced voted on and only lost by one vote. The idea was to introduce African Hippos to the Louisiana delta to control water hyacinth. I guess at the time there was a meat shortage and the thought was to kill two birds at once. Can you imagine one of the most dangerous African animals swimming in your fishing hole.

Just imagine hitting one of these beasts at 20 knots!

I like the feral pig solution better.

Great to know , my wife is writing the

MANATEE COOK BOOK .

I always thought manatee were a delicacy.

:lol:

The Marine News, September 1937

Attachments

• File0156.PDF
    151.1 KB · Views: 78
More than you'll ever want! :facepalm:

Attachments

• Hyacinth 1 - Delta, CA 11-2-2014.jpg
    Hyacinth 1 - Delta, CA 11-2-2014.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Hyacinth 2 - Delta, CA 11-2-2014.jpg
    Hyacinth 2 - Delta, CA 11-2-2014.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Hyacinth 3 - Delta, CA 11-2-2014.jpg
    Hyacinth 3 - Delta, CA 11-2-2014.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 98
It could be Ladd's. We're in Riverpoint Landing, next door, and are socked in. It seems to shift day by day but is still here.

I've no fear of hippos thanks to a steel hull.

Lots of empty berths in Vallejo, clear of vegetation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom