Old 04-24-2022, 07:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Do not back flush the water maker membranes with chlorinated water. I am told, it will shorten the life of the membranes
Old 04-24-2022, 07:14 PM   #22
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Do not back flush the water maker membranes with chlorinated water. I am told, it will shorten the life of the membranes
Good point. If you have a water maker, I'd want a carbon filter sized for near complete dechlorination at backwash flow rates at the highest chlorine concentration you're likely to have in the tank in normal use. Anything less risks membrane damage depending on tank chlorine levels.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:53 AM   #23
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Water suppliers have Provincial regulations that are getting more comprehensive as time passes. Scuttlebut around our local YC outstation is about compliance with standards that are now being enforced, adding to the cost of supplying water on the docks. Yours may soon also need to comply, be subject to testing and/or enforcement.

On my boat, when I fill in Vancouver I know I am getting chlorinated water so I purposely don't filter it. Elsewhere, I filter, before the tank, then I have a filter after the pump, so the tap water is always filtered.
Yes, when we were still in Burnaby and the boat in Port Moody for 12 yrs. The boat was then kept in N.Van. for 10 yrs. THe water in BOTH places was chorinated. Sometimes it could be smelled.

Even in Burnaby and N.Van there was dirt/sediment. In the fall and winter with the heavy rains and sometimes landslides into the reservoirs there were clouds of silt which would also end up in the tanks. Of course the chlorination was jacked way up.

The water supplied to the Gibsons marina is checked frequently but what that frequency is I don't know.

If I am up the coast and take on water I very lightly dose with some bleach or chlorine. When I can we will make a point of going to a known clean source such as a town with monitored and dosed water but that is not always possible.

My filters will NOT remove chlorine. THey are for fine silt so I do not get a buildup in the tank again. It is far easier to prevent the silt entry than it is to get rid of it.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:56 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
I think I will switch to a non carbon for filling tank for the grit only. The chlorine will be gone at the taps
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 05:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Ft Myers
Practical Sailor did a good job on this, and that is what we follow. Lightly chlorinate the tank to boost the municipal water and kill the viruses, then a half micron carbon filter after the pump for cysts and taste.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/sys...r-than-bottled
Sleeping Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:12 PM   #26

City: Bristol, RI
When the General Ecology filters came out 20 years ago they were a huge step forward but others have since caught up and possibly passed them. What you want is a filter certified to meets NSF-53 (which the Seagull does too) This standard removes cysts and most bacteria/virus. I use the Pentex FloPlus 10 which is NSF 53 certified, has much more filtering capacity than the Seagull, and costs about $20. It was top rated in the preceding PS review. Since it only costs $20, I put in a new one after the winter

https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-FloPlu...871623049&th=1

I’ve never found a good way to avoid using some chlorine to keep the tank from growing stuff. Once every few weeks I add 1/4 teaspoon of Dichlor (sold as hot tub disinfectant) per 100 gallons of water and test with a pool test strip to 1ppm chlorine. You can’t smell this concentration. Pools are 3ppm.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:14 PM   #27

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: On The EdJ
Vessel Model: Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Kind of a stupid question. I have a Seagull IV water filter from General Ecology.

We do use it and we only use it from drinking and cooking. Just an FYI, there is also a UV filter and a cartridge before this filter too.

I can't see us needing a new filter by the end of the season. This filter is so good that it takes the pink out of the AF in winterizing. So I do remove before winterizing and after flushing the tank.

My question is, in the fall can I place the filter in a sealed plastic bag and save it for next year. Keep in mind, the cost is around $110 each. If they were $25 I would just replace it.

I am thinking I can't save it, mold and other thing can grow. BUT I thought I might ask anyways.
we had the seagull from General ecology paid for 1 filter and then replaced it with a Rain Fresh under counter from Lowes total unit cost was $99.00 replacement filters are $20.00 and in our opinion after 6 years our unit is every bit as good as the GE unit and we us it for coffee and Cooking. People get hung on "Made for Marine Use"
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote