Water in the Bilge twice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That'd what I'm thinking. Since I know (saw it) water dripping fast from the packing gland it has to go through the stack of packing rings along the shaft and housing to get to the end. Delta water is brown (lot of silt) and when the leak started it was probably faster then and slowed as the silt built up.

So, if I'm following this correctly, one take-away is that even badly silted river water can appear as clear as potable water in the bilge. For one thing, once it stops moving the sediments settle out pretty quickly. There may be some filtration at the source of the leak, too.

Yes, that's sure my experience. Our river water has cleared dramatically since the infestation with zebra mussels (filter feeders) but even so, it's still the "Big Muddy" Missouri. My water in the bilge through the stuffing boxes was crystal clear, or at least looked that way.

I had to laugh too at the post about -- of all the possible sources, leaking stuffing boxes was the best, or least-bad. Same here. I curse Mainship all the time for poor accessibility in the engine bay for maintenance, but just by fortunate random chance probably, the stuffing boxes in our boat couldn't be easier. I pull the master berth stairs and there they are, six inches away in broad daylight, both of them.

Can you put a tray or something to catch the water dripping from the shaft log? Then you could see if you are still getting water in the bilge while the tray is catching the water drips. It may help isolate where the water is coming from.

Also you may want to put spray shield on the shaft logs. Basically a plastic surround around the shaft log so at higher RPMs the water leaking in the log doesn’t get thrown way out around the log. It get contained in the spray shield and then drips down i to the bilge. A large soda bottle can be cut to fit around the shaft log and clamped on with zip ties or a hose clamp.

Went out to the boat today for a look-see and found an inch of water in the forward bilge and none in the aft. Which is what's supposed to happen as the air pressure switch is supposed to trigger at 2.25 inches and stop at an inch. Didn't run the pump manual and looking forward to the next visit to see how things progress. I guess I should just thread the dock hose through the forward head window and verify for sure. The packing nuts are about 2.58 inch and I ordered up a couple of 8 inch long 65 mm spanners from Zoro as well as an adjustable. One stuffing box is easy but the other is under a platform the water heater is mounted on. I can see it, but getting wrenches on it is going to be a pain. Perhaps time to think about the 2 bolt solution on the haul out.

Ah boats!

It's been 5 days and I went back to check. About 2 inches in the bilge and the auto pump started soon after I pulled the deck plate.

Perfect timing, couldn't have happened better. So I went back outside and heard the water coming out which stopped in about a minute, so about 20 gallons. Looked back in and yeah, about an inch in the bilge. You have to love it when stuff works like it should eh? Poured in a few ounces of "bilge fresh" and put the deck plate back in.

The bilge pump counter will be arriving soon and then I'll know how often. When the wrenches arrive I'll work on the cause of the problem. Added another dock line for winter storms and called it good and went home

The bilge pump counter went in 12-20 and I ran it on manual which pumped out the bilge and the counter dutifully reported 1 cycle which I didn't reset. Cool, everything works!

Went over today (a week later) and the counter reported 2 cycles. Very cool, about 20 gallons a week.

Yeah I think the packing was leaking fast after the last run up the river and has slowed as the silty delta water ran through.

Yo, DR - I've lost track a bit on this thread. In relatively near future you are soon going to stop the leak completely... correct?

Hope you had a merry Christmas and soon gonna have a Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I'm sure the packing needs to be changed too. The boat needs a haul for bottom paint and through hull / seacock service and that will be a good time to re-pack the shaft glands.

For now though I can rest easy with 2 known good auto bilge pumps on duty when I'm not there - :)

Oh yeah, I'm sure the packing needs to be changed too. The boat needs a haul for bottom paint and through hull / seacock service and that will be a good time to re-pack the shaft glands.

For now though I can rest easy with 2 known good auto bilge pumps on duty when I'm not there - :)

Have you turned the packing nut an 1/8 or 1/4 turn to see if it stops the drip. Don't force it.

Back
Top Bottom