Old 04-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #21
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Since I have the same model and year boat as the OP and have a dry bilge, let me ask some of leading questions.

Do you have a smallish wet/dry vac aboard? If not get one because they are an invaluable tool in finding leaks through regularly sucking all the water out from behind the engine which is where I am sure you are seeing the water collect. Working from completely dry is the way to find the source through process of elimination.

I found the oft-mentioned hull to deck seam in my boat to be completely sealed by the factor and NOT my source of unknown water. My sources of bilge water were at various times a faulty ac drip pan installation, leaking water seal in the engine raw water cooling pump (twice), a leaking SeaTech hose fitting in the potable water fitting under the galley sink, and un caulked (factory error) emergency bilge pump overboard fitting in the hull well above the waterline until high speed perations put a flow of water across it, a leaking mascerator pump seal, and the four deck fills (fuel/water/waste) after every rain.

When specifically do you find the water in the bilge? After a run? Between runs after sucking all the water out with a wet/dry vac?

Do you run the air conditioner and then find the water? I found the factory ac drip pan drain installation inadequate, with kinked hoses and clogged with algea because no anti-algea chlorine tablets had been put in the pan.

Have you felt around for dampness under the shaft seal (I assume you have a Tides dripless as I do). If you have a leak there, you may be a fresh seal in a plastic case between the seal and the tranny - mine has one).

Feel around under the engine's raw water pump for any water droplets and look in there while underway with a flashlight to see if there is any dripping going on. Been there, twice.

Is the potable water system energized during a period when water collects but nothing else is going on - try it overnight sometime with boat moored on shore power.

Other possibilities as mentioned by others here but not in this post could also be extant,but since we have the same boat, and mine now runs a dry bilge, you might want to pay close attention to my ideas first.

Lots of luck, and I hope you will do us the favor of looping back to us here to fill us in on your success.

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #22
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
My keel always gets water in it between the shaft log and the condensate drain from the AC. The keel has 2 stripper bilge pumps, I replaced the rear with a Whale diaphragm pump. It almost pumps everything out, much drier than the Rule 300 gph got it.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Since I have the same model and year boat as the OP and have a dry bilge, let me ask some of leading questions.

Do you have a smallish wet/dry vac aboard? If not get one because they are an invaluable tool in finding leaks through regularly sucking all the water out from behind the engine which is where I am sure you are seeing the water collect. Working from completely dry is the way to find the source through process of elimination.

I found the oft-mentioned hull to deck seam in my boat to be completely sealed by the factor and NOT my source of unknown water. My sources of bilge water were at various times a faulty ac drip pan installation, leaking water seal in the engine raw water cooling pump (twice), a leaking SeaTech hose fitting in the potable water fitting under the galley sink, and un caulked (factory error) emergency bilge pump overboard fitting in the hull well above the waterline until high speed perations put a flow of water across it, a leaking mascerator pump seal, and the four deck fills (fuel/water/waste) after every rain.

When specifically do you find the water in the bilge? After a run? Between runs after sucking all the water out with a wet/dry vac?

Do you run the air conditioner and then find the water? I found the factory ac drip pan drain installation inadequate, with kinked hoses and clogged with algea because no anti-algea chlorine tablets had been put in the pan.

Have you felt around for dampness under the shaft seal (I assume you have a Tides dripless as I do). If you have a leak there, you may be a fresh seal in a plastic case between the seal and the tranny - mine has one).

Feel around under the engine's raw water pump for any water droplets and look in there while underway with a flashlight to see if there is any dripping going on. Been there, twice.

Is the potable water system energized during a period when water collects but nothing else is going on - try it overnight sometime with boat moored on shore power.

Other possibilities as mentioned by others here but not in this post could also be extant,but since we have the same boat, and mine now runs a dry bilge, you might want to pay close attention to my ideas first.

Lots of luck, and I hope you will do us the favor of looping back to us here to fill us in on your success.

Great points specific to the OP's initial post.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:34 PM   #24

City: San Diego
Hi, I have the 2001 Pilot with a dripless shaft seal. My bilge always had water in it especially after washing and the rains. After vacuuming it dry each time weather washing or raining, I learned it is the rub rails on the Mainship's that leak. After removing and rebedding the rails it solved the problem. I learned about the solution and the fix from "Baccuhus" who is on this site. In his posts he explains how to R&R the rubrail if this is the problem. I hope this helps, let me know if you need further explanation. Rich
Travelift driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:42 PM   #25
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
They must have learned something by 2005 because I took off the port side rub rail and found enough caulk had been applied to the seam so that it oozed out between the deck and hull molds. There was no way it could support a leak; so I ignored the stbd side. That's not to say for sure that any other boat that year or later years could not have suffered defective workmanship.

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote