Old 01-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #81
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
why would you be inclined to stare into a glowing screen on a boat, when you could do it just as well or probably more comfortably in your living room and save a billion dollars in boat costs?
In our case, because the boat was our home. One of the first upgrades we made when we bought it was to install a KVH satellite system. Ann is the big TV watcher in our family, but I was glad we did it.

For a weekend or vacation boat, TV would be a very low priority. Doubtful we would go to any expense to install it if not already there.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #82
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Thread drift? Too late.

We can all debate whether TV or 100 other forms of personal entertainment for that matter are worthwhile (as they're doing now on Nomad's other thread), but I think some of the TV defenders are missing a key part of the question or reaction from the anti-tv posters. Whether you think TV is profoundly worthwhile or noisy mind-mush, why would you be inclined to stare into a glowing screen on a boat, when you could do it just as well or probably more comfortably in your living room and save a billion dollars in boat costs? It's the same question I think of when I watch teenagers surfing their phones while standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon.
Your analogy doesn't make sense. In the TV example you say it is a cost and comfort issue of doing it on the boat vs. living room. With the phone example, you are saying they should be looking at nature vs. having their heads in a phone. Which is the equivalent of saying that someone on a boat should look at the natural environment vs. a TV. Your examples don't pattern match.

That said, the answer is very simple. It's because sometimes I'd prefer to stay on the boat instead of in my living room, and when doing so, I wouldn't mind watching something on the TV.

And in terms of saving boat costs, I don't really see much cost involved. I have a spot for a TV. A decent TV in the size that would fit the space would run around $170. It is already pre-wired. If my existing Unlimited LTE connection and AppleTV solution worked, the cost is only that of the TV ($170) and AppleTV ($199). And I could probably get away with something like a Chromecast for less than half the amount of the AppleTV.

So not sure where the $1B comes in. I will say that it isn't worth it for me if I have to buy satellite equipment for thousands of dollars. Nor do I want to bother with a local antenna since I don't watch network TV except when my teams might be on locally (but I am a Boston sports fan, so other than the Patriots playoff runs, local TV typically doesn't carry the games I want to watch).

My retirement boat on which we'll do long distance cruising, yes, I'd pay for the satellite gear. But not this boat, which is primarily for weekend day cruises and occasional overnight trips. Or occasional overnights at the marina, in which case having the TV would be a "nice to have" but not a "must have".

MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #83
Guru

City: Out Cruisin'
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
Thread drift? Too late.

We can all debate whether TV or 100 other forms of personal entertainment for that matter are worthwhile (as they're doing now on Nomad's other thread), but I think some of the TV defenders are missing a key part of the question or reaction from the anti-tv posters. Whether you think TV is profoundly worthwhile or noisy mind-mush, why would you be inclined to stare into a glowing screen on a boat, when you could do it just as well or probably more comfortably in your living room and save a billion dollars in boat costs? It's the same question I think of when I watch teenagers surfing their phones while standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon.
boathealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #84
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
why would you be inclined to stare into a glowing screen on a boat, when you could do it just as well or probably more comfortably in your living room and save a billion dollars in boat costs? .
Wifey B: Because I'm in Key West tonight and headed west from here. After we have dinner and walk around Duval Street, then we'll head back to the boat. We may all gather in the salon and watch some tv or hubby and I may head to our stateroom and, among other things, we may watch some before going to sleep. The Heat don't play tonight but a couple of games on TNT.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #85
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
My apology.
As BandB points out there’s lots of good TV.
I should have mentioned that.
TV itself isn’t bad. It’s the stuff on the programs. And people should be smart enough to make good choices. And I thought people would assume I was talking about the bad stuff. Dosn’t look like it from here though. Wish I could take the whole thread back.
All I can do is say I’m sorry.

We’ve done this before about watching TV on boats. We’re so used to being extreeemy politically devided that it’s spilled over into most everything. Somebody says something opinionated (like I did) and bang .... everybody runs for the correct corner and starts fighting. Like 45 says .... sad.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #86

City: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Funny I purchase a boat so I didn't have phone,TV, DVDs . newspapers .fax. lol

Thank you for being a voice of sanity ...... FB
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #87
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
once again, part time boaters forget there are liveaboards and long distance cruisers who get their fair share of nature, solitude boating, reading, etc.... but still like some TV to round things out....let alone hear what is going on in the world past internet news...if they are even getting the net.

for every boater here on TF, there is another completely the opposite...niether right or wrong.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #88
Guru

Can we move on from here?!?

I just posted a ton of projects over here:http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...tml#post629696

That should keep everyone busy for a while, anyway!
Old 01-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #89
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
Can we move on from here?!!
Some of the responses to the OP's question make this is the most useless thread in the history of TF. Live and let live.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #90
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Thread drift? Too late.

We live on a boat. What say you to folks like we?
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:00 AM   #91
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
How do you use a ChromeCast in pla e of an antenna?
On Attachment 722067xxxAttachment 72206 equipmentAttachment 72205 reference BUY H[AugTTACH]72Attachment 72206205[/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
Getting a good TV signal has always been a nightmare in the area's I've cruised in. I've spent a lot of money on antennae's and boosters over the years. With advances in technology we now use Google Chromecast and found it far superior to using an antennae.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:18 AM   #92
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
TV reception 70 miles out is pretty good but I want to know how you're getting a cell signal to post on the forum that far out!!! Satellite service?

Ah. I meant 70 miles away... on the ICW, not out at sea. And I was using a marina WiFi connection.

FWIW, and update: found an oddity now that we're actually in Charleston. We now receive 17 OTA channels, not all the same as the ones we were getting from further away. And PBS wasn't present at 70 miles, showed up at 40 miles, now no PBS reception again here where we are in Charleston. Very likely line-of-sight issues...

-Chris
Old 01-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #93

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
............... aboatman,
I definitely donít have a TV on my boat. And I never go to McDonnalds. Ever.
Do what you want and eat where you want. It's your business.

But, it's nothing to brag about and not watching TV or not eating at McDonalds doesn't make you better than other people.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #94

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySky View Post
I think you're missing something too. Why is it an either / or? If I'm on a weekend or week long cruise, how am I supposed to get back to my living room to watch TV at nights when docked?
Exactly!

And consider this: I wouldn't want to be on a cruise anchoring out and pull into a marina to find out that North Korea started a war with the USA or an earthquake demolished my home two or three days ago. And TV is good for tracking bad weather, hurricanes, etc. When cruising, TV is your link to the real world.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #95
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
We live on a boat. What say you to folks like we?
I would say that I envy that freedom, although I do love it when the lilacs and fruit trees are in bloom at home in the spring.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 AM   #96
Guru

Old 01-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #97
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
Do what you want and eat where you want. It's your business.

But, it's nothing to brag about and not watching TV or not eating at McDonalds doesn't make you better than other people.
Or does it?
In my opinion it does or I wouldn’t have bragged about it.
There seems to be an abundance of vacumes mostly everywhere trying to and successfully sucking people into what is or may not be good for them mostly to make money directly or indirectly. A TV movie is going to spoon feed you a lot of action, sex or just scenes of places you’d like to go so you’ll watch it. Like why’d most of the old western movies show us Monument Valley over and over again. Why did they run their show “Hawaii Five O” in Hawaii? Some of it’s actually good but most of it’s bad. And then there’s salesmen. They come off as your friend saving you but it’s all about their commission.

When I grew up we didn’t have a TV in the house. Ever. Good friends of ours don’t have a TV but many didand do. There’s lots and lots of things we eagerly embrace just because everybody else is doing it. People buy Chevys And Fords or Hondas and Toyotas to be seen as smart people. There was even a Chevy add “6 million people can’t be wrong”.

I grew up leaning toward and frequently embracing the odd and not mainstream stuff trying to not to always being part of the sheep herd. I veiwed it as a badge of objective thinking. Still do. But you can do this to excess or in reverse. People are judged by the house they live in, the clothes they wear, the language they use, the cars they drive ect ect. Many people are and live the part. And many are pretentious. I knew sombody that drove a grey-green Toyota and said she was not pretentious. But she was. She was pretending to be far less affluent than she was. She wasn’t and could have just as easily had a Lexus.

Most people are pretending to be what they want you to think they are.

I try to not pretend at all and be objective in what I do and think. But I do pretend in reverse. Being not part of the sheep herd can bite me though. I could buy a lesser car while most folks were buying Toyotas. I could be thumbing my nose at others watching lots of TV and missing out on great programs. I could be uninformed about important things not watching the news to protect myself from BS, misleading content and downright fake news.

So I’m afraid I was saying “I’m better than you” by saying I don’t watch TV on my boat. Not that much of a scope dope. It’s not my nature to put other people down though. So I’m sorry I was criticizing you TV watchers but I doubt I’ll ever have TV on my boat. I’m sure almost all will agree taking a break from TV is a good thing. I watch quite a bit of TV news every day (mostly) and I don’t watch some of the good programs BandB mentioned because we don’t spend that much money on TV service. Read basic Direct TV.

But I shouldn’t be telling other people I’m better than they are even if I think I am.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #98
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:

But I shouldnít be telling other people Iím better than they are even if I think I am.
Why not? Don't you think people need to know what sort of person they are dealing with? It is hypocritical to feel this way about your relationship to the rest of your fellow man and then hide it from them for the sake of expediency. Believe in yourself and let folks know just how they fit into your scheme of things.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #99
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Or does it?
I knew sombody that drove a grey-green Toyota and said she was not pretentious. But she was. She was pretending to be far less affluent than she was. She wasnít and could have just as easily had a Lexus.

Maybe she was just, "Living below her means"? I believe that's one of the steps to becoming, "The Millionaire Next Door."
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
I knew sombody that drove a grey-green Toyota and said she was not pretentious. But she was. She was pretending to be far less affluent than she was. She wasnít and could have just as easily had a Lexus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
Maybe she was just, "Living below her means"? I believe that's one of the steps to becoming, "The Millionaire Next Door."
Agree. Why is it "pretending" when you are living below your means? That's completely ridiculous.

I've been L(waay)BYM for 30 years now. That's why the only reason I will be able to retire early this fall.