Washington state ferry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice to see the ferries being built in Wa. State. Here in B.C. we do things differently. Despite the fact that we have a significant shipbuilding sector, our provincial government, instead of stimulating the local economy, chose to have our most recent ferries built in... Germany.

Lots of joking around and about 30sec of interesting stuff. Fluff video.

Still using EMD two strokes and Detroit four stroke gennies. That's interesting.

Nice to see the ferries being built in Wa. State. .

The State Ferries are a first class operation, they run safe boats and incidents are few. The State does emphasize buying local first, if possible.

Also in our case, the Jones Act (Merchant Marine Act) prohibits the use of foreign built vessels in inter and intra state commerce (passengers in this case). So no ferries from China or Germany for us.

Safe as long as the skipper is not trying to impress his girlfriend, such as the elwah/grindstone incident.

Safe as long as the skipper is not trying to impress his girlfriend, such as the elwah/grindstone incident.

That's not very nice Mr. P:

After all, everybody's got their Achilles Heel . . . . Paris had his Helen of Troy and Caesar had his Cleopatra and the Captain had his little friends!! :lol:

Despite having three bridges, the volume of ferry trafic crossing the Bosphorus Strait is incredible. Having several moving in each direction in view simultaneously is common. Example of one:

img_301372_0_a137ecfbc0a9a498f8fc7e893bc16258.jpg

I love taking trips on the WSF. They operate on schedule, they're fun to ride and relatively inexpensive and you can't beat the scenery!

Thanks for both of those vids.

I witnessed a two separate incidents last September which I thought were questionable. First while I'm not certain it was Washington Ferry (WF), I pretty sure it was because no other vessels were in the area except the WF and the other vessels involved: a voice came on channel 16 identifying a perceived rule of right away infringement and it was most unprofessional. The voice did not identify his vessel, but I'm sure it was a WF. About half an hour later, it happened again with a different vessel that was hailed. Same voice and I'm pretty sure once again this came from a WF. Has anyone else heard similar incidents.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

It is a state law that ships for the Washington State Ferry system be built in Washngton State. This make them staggeringly more expensive to acquire than if they could have ferries built in Louisiana for example, or overseas, but Washington is not known for being fiscally intelligent, so it's no surpise this law still stands.

As to the ferry system being efficient (we ride them a lot between the mainland and Whidbey Island) they are on time and boats work more in spite of the Washington State ferry system than because of it. It's is repeatedly in the news for some major screw up or another.

It's my understanding that its predecessor, the private Black Ball Line, was--- in it's heyday-- far more efficient, well run, and customer-oriented than the state system is today.

Same voice and I'm pretty sure once again this came from a WF. Has anyone else heard similar incidents.

The Ferry crews identify themselves with the name of their vessel. So if they've got a bone to pick with you, you will hear something like, "Vessel westbound in Thatcher Pass, State Ferry Kaleetan channel 16." They are usually very professional.

The people on channel 16 on testosterone trips ranting and raving about right of way and wake violations :censored:, for the most part are weekend boaters and there seem to be plenty of those lately.

Last edited:
Edelweiss, yes, that's what I would have expected, for sure, and perhaps I'm wrong. However the admiral and I thought at the time it had come from the ferry.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Back
Top Bottom