Old 11-09-2018, 03:03 AM   #101

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
I told you I'm going to Mexico I don't know why you don't believe me.

That said - I was thinking of the Broughtons but I'll definitely add those places to the list!

Thanks

Old 11-09-2018, 03:39 AM   #102
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post

That said - I was thinking of the Broughtons but I'll definitely add those places to the list!

Thanks
Wifey B: North to Alaska.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #103
Guru

City: Puget Sound
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: North to Alaska.

You must know what the women say about the men in Alaska

"The odds are good but the goods are odd"
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #104
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC36Monk View Post
Your just getting started. When you get further north you'll realize you still have further north to go. Take two months and go as fare as Bella Bella next summer. Pruth Bay, McNaughton Group, ocean Falls, Roscoe, Spiller.... It could go on forever.
Then take a couple months more to go a wee bit north of there and visit Gardner Canal, Campania Island, the Estavan Group, Haida Gwaii, etc...

No palm trees, but then again, no crowds
Old 11-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #105
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Quote:

Thanks
Most excellent! The 3 years we spent cruising up north is without a doubt a lifetime experience, several ticks off the bucket list. Hope you enjoy it and become more familiar with the new boat.

We just got home here in Vegas after driving down the coast from Portland. We made it as far as Ft. Bragg before heading inland to get home. We stopped at almost every conceivable port down the coast to get a perspective of bar crossings, Marinaís and facilities in those ports. Some good, some not so good!

I will try and compile the info we gathered as well as a few pics and post separately, it was a bit of an eye opener for us.

Cheers
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #106
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post

I will try and compile the info we gathered as well as a few pics and post separately, it was a bit of an eye opener for us.

Cheers
Well then I think you should forget Mexico and help DD on his quest to explore more of the PNW. We could even put Glacier Bay and Sitka on the port of call.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #107
Guru

I hijacked this article from Kevin's forum. If you want to cruise the west coast, this has a lot of good information and links.

https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2015...-migration.asp
Old 11-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #108

After spending time on the boat and hearing all the horror stories about the West Coast. I'm hesitant to try running down the coast now. I'm actually considering a second boat for the SF Bay and Delta. I'd love an older Defever 50.

I'm keeping an eye out for deals.

Thanks All for the suggestions. That's how and why I've gone to the places that I really enjoyed. The great thing about Trawler Folks (especially the PNW Folks) is they are always willing to take the time to fill you in on the good places and places to use caution. The narrows are always a place to use caution!

Cheers!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #109
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
After spending time on the boat and hearing all the horror stories about the West Coast. I'm hesitant to try running down the coast now. I'm actually considering a second boat for the SF Bay and Delta. I'd love an older Defever 50.

I'm keeping an eye out for deals.

Thanks All for the suggestions. That's how and why I've gone to the places that I really enjoyed. The great thing about Trawler Folks (especially the PNW Folks) is they are always willing to take the time to fill you in on the good places and places to use caution. The narrows are always a place to use caution!

Cheers!
Wifey B: I think many of the horror stories are old wives tails or old sailors tales. The coast is fine to run down and very enjoyable. Just a lot to enjoy up north before you head down. Yes, you have to be aware of conditions but that's a basic.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #110
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
DirtDoc,

One boat is plenty! The cost of one boat is enuff allready, a second one would drive me crazy. And dont be scared of the West Coast, just respect it. Lots of people do it all the time, just dont get tied to a schedule. We plan to cruise slowly on our trip south, taking advantage of the nice weather to travel and not so nice weather to stay docked up and play like tourist. After this trip that we just made in the vehicle to check out ports along the way, we found that they all have there plus’s and minus’s, some more than others.
With regards to the PNW, if you dont think you will be back up to enjoy it for several years, try and enjoy it now. That was our plan and now we want to explore warmer weather and different area’s.
Cheers
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:01 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
DirtDoc,

One boat is plenty! The cost of one boat is enuff allready, a second one would drive me crazy. And dont be scared of the West Coast, just respect it. Lots of people do it all the time, just dont get tied to a schedule. We plan to cruise slowly on our trip south, taking advantage of the nice weather to travel and not so nice weather to stay docked up and play like tourist. After this trip that we just made in the vehicle to check out ports along the way, we found that they all have there plusís and minusís, some more than others.
With regards to the PNW, if you dont think you will be back up to enjoy it for several years, try and enjoy it now. That was our plan and now we want to explore warmer weather and different areaís.
Cheers
Hi Crusty,

I would be less hesitant to run the coast if I had your Selene with it's full displacement hull, ballast and displacement but I'm running a semi-displacement hull with no ballast. Big difference in capabilities. You may also have active stabilizers. Mine are passive bilge keels. There is nothing wrong with my boat it's just not built for blue water. I would really have to watch the weather and if I got stuck in anything more than 10-12 footers, (depending on spacing and wind) it could be truly dangerous. That said, I will most likely give it a shot anyways. You've got to know your boats capabilities.

Thanks for your feedback. It is helpful to talk with people that have been there and done it.

Cheers,
Old 11-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #112
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Traveling the West Coast is about weather windows. The NP45 is way more than adequate. Just don’t go if there are small craft advisory’s in the forecast.

I don’t go if the forecast has wind over 15 kts.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #113
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Traveling the West Coast is about weather windows. The NP45 is way more than adequate. Just donít go if there are small craft advisoryís in the forecast.

I donít go if the forecast has wind over 15 kts.
I agree. We brought ASD from S.F. to the Columbia River bar. Its all about weather.