Washing windows with screwed in screens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ducatihottie

I had a great first day on my boat today. First I have water and alls I had to do is flick the "F W Pump" switch on. I figured this one out in less than one hour.

After I turned the water on, it only took me two hours to figure out how to flush my Jabsco toilet. Every time I flushed it filled with water. Flush water, flush, water.... I sure did freak when it almost overflowed.

Was my brown water tank full? Did I spend thousands on a boat with bad plumbing? Are there even boat plumbers? Watch a YouTube video? Yes! Pretty good huh Dave?

Questions

1. Without unscrewing my screened in windows. How do I clean my windows? This without FLOODING them with water? I got Bifin IT bug spray on them. See photos.

On another CHB someone showed me how to clear the pinpoint window drain with a toothpick. Mine has an oval drain in one bottom corner. And the top part is behind the srewed in screen. See bottom photo.

2. How do I keep these drains free of dust and debris? This so my water drains outside and not into my cabin Maybe a compressed gas computer keyboard duster thing?

Tomorrow a big day. I'm going to learn how to open my boats refrigerator!

Attachments

• 20200810_235605.jpg
    20200810_235605.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200810_233840.jpg
    20200810_233840.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200810_231240.jpg
    20200810_231240.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200810_231638.jpg
    20200810_231638.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I have not seen screens that are screwed on like that. I would use pressure water to clean the windows and keep the drains cleaned out. Not sure if air will work or not due to dries on and caked on dirt.

My refer has a latch that I open, yours is probably just as easy... find the A/C and DC breakers for the refer on the main panel and turn them on. There is probably a dial inside the refer to set the temp and turn it on after you turn on the breakers. Good luck.

Refrigerator on, opening it was light humor.

"Pressure water"? No I'm trying to avoid shooting water anywhere near my windows. You should know inside everyone of these CHBs there's a little water damage to the interior wood. Mostly from leakey windows.

I'll have to remove the screens to wash.

Can anyone fill me in on my oval window drains? No boat has one's like mine. How do I keep them clear?

You can usually clear a window drain with wire. Depends on the size and route of the drain. On some I used a fine screwdriver. Some of the IG ones had a copper tube, I can tell you that using an electric drill to clear a blockage is NOT a good idea, the PO drilled thru a copper drain tube, every time it rained water drained into the surrounding wood. As we found when replacing said rotted wood.

One of my window drains looks to be plugged with that window tracking tracking stuff. I can't clean it out.

I'll take more photos tomorrow.

Speaking of "drains":

HOLD ON TO YOUR SEAT: I completely took apart my tubing and cleaned my clogged drain from my hatches. The whole surrounding track was filled with dirt and water. And the bottom part where I puddied wasn't even connected.

So... I took off the clamps, sprayed compressed air into the hole and tubing and a bunch of black cruddy crap came out. I sealed it with some marine puddy I kneaded and put it back together..... walaa it now drains! If I did it wrong there's no turning back so only, "Great Job Brian " will be accepted.

BTW, I almost glued my fingers together and the next time I'll get the fifteen minute dry stuff and NOT the 3 minute one. One needs their fingers.

I'm feeling pretty confident after that repair and tomorrow I'm going to rewire the whole boat top to bottom.

Attachments

• 20200813_223731.jpg
    20200813_223731.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200813_223757.jpg
    20200813_223757.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200813_223742.jpg
    20200813_223742.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200813_223457.jpg
    20200813_223457.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200813_223521.jpg
    20200813_223521.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
One of mine looks to be plugged with that window tracking is made of? I can't clean it out.
That happens. Patient digging. I have used a cooking skewer, wire,straight screwdriver, Philips screwdriver. The track material is probably degrading. Try forming wire into a "U" to push through. Try approaching it from the exit end of the drain too. Each drain has it`s own characteristics.

One of mine looks to be plugged with that window tracking is made of? I can't clean it out.

Someone may have replaced the track material and didn’t open up the drain hole. That will cause the windows to leak more. You may be abole to use a drill and open it up so it will drain, but it absolutely needs to drain. And washing the windows should not be an issue if the window is sealed properly. Cause it is going to rain...

I'm still not going to use pressure water anywhere near my windows. Maybe the "mist" setting on my spray nozzle, (baby steps).

And my other drain repair:) All that white gutter was wet moldy dirt brown Chaetomiumspp. I cured a National breakout of Phaeohyphomycosis today.

Now it drains.

Last edited:
wooden gutters around hatches are an abomination, but yours look quite good. You must keep those drains clear. We regularly insert a hose into the drain,you soon see if it is draining, by not getting your face wet with spray back, or water seen draining outside overboard.
As you get to know the boat you`ll be more confident attacking things. I suggest using a polyurethane sealant like Sikaflex291 rather than hard setting putty, especially a 3 minute one.

Hi Bruce

They look clean cause I just cleaned them. I got the muck on my teak decking and freaked cause it wouldn't rinse off. I should have saved it for some painter / artist because they don't make a moldy black color like that. Eventually it cleaned off.

You say, "We regularly insert a hose into the drain, you soon see if it is draining"

I wish there was some adapter made just to squirt water from the hose into the tiny hole. This instead of getting water all over the place. I don't think the compressed air will keep it cleared.

1. How often will I need to clean the hatch drains?

I'm limiting myself to two stupid questions a day.

2. If the water doesn't drain and ends up flowing into the hatch, (where this wood flooring is), does it drain down into my bilge?

3. Are there drains below this wood that I need to keep clean / cleared?

No "pats" on the head yet? Bruce said I have the cleanest gutters on Trawlers Forum.

Attachments

• 20200814_001340.jpg
    20200814_001340.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200814_003007.jpg
    20200814_003007.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi Bruce

They look clean cause I just cleaned them. I got the muck on my teak decking and freaked cause it wouldn't rinse off. I should have saved it for some painter / artist because they don't make a moldy black color like that. Eventually it cleaned off.

You say, "We regularly insert a hose into the drain, you soon see if it is draining"

I wish there was some adapter made just to squirt water from the hose into the tiny hole. This instead of getting water all over the place. I don't think the compressed air will keep it cleared.

1. How often will I need to clean the hatch drains?

I'm limiting myself to two stupid questions a day.

2. If the water doesn't drain and ends up flowing into the hatch, (where this wood flooring is), does it drain down into my bilge?

3. Are there drains below this wood that I need to keep clean / cleared?

No "pats" on the head yet? Bruce said I have the cleanest gutters on Trawlers Forum.
There is such an adapter but you can make one up with a trip to the hardware store.
Find a female garden hose to female 1/2" pipe. Find a 1/2" to 1/4" pipe bushing.
Add a 1/4" hose barb and voila, you'll be squirting! Pro tip: add an inline shut-off valve.
23372-albums1001-picture6351.jpg

Picture shows the optional toggle-style momentary on-off valve. Variable version below.
(I can't pass up an opportunity to rummage through my plumbing fittings!)

Last edited:
Here at least, you can get a trigger/auto shut off hose nozzle with a variety of setting to plug into your garden hose. It`s illegal here to use a garden hose without one.
Set the nozzle to "jet", hold it close to the drain(insert it if design allows, mine does), pull trigger. You`ll soon discover if it is blocked, clear, or pressure clearable. Caution; may involve getting wet.
cf3e6c52-756b-41a9-afea-7fbe5a32f281.jpg

Last edited:
Clean those deck drains out often. It's amazing sometimes what they collect.
Now that it is clear it will be much easier.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom