Washer/Dryer Combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our ex hire boat Broom 42 had 3 toilet/showers when we bought her.
First mate decreed that one of the rear toilets was removed, in it's place we fitted a Candy 4KG washing machine and used the shower mixer unit to regulate the w/machine water intake temperature to save using the w/machines inbuilt electric heating element . We have a 4KW inverter, when cruising, the engine supplies hot water and electricity via the inverter and a foldable drier on the upper deck takes care of the drying.
When hooked up to shore power of course everything works off that.
The waste water pipe is routed to the wash hand basin outlet that discharges underwater.

We have 240v washer and vented dryer. Absolutely love to pull into town with all the laundry done. They hold smaller loads than home units but its not an issue.

We have 240v washer and vented dryer. Absolutely love to pull into town with all the laundry done. They hold smaller loads than home units but its not an issue.

You're 100% right about that. It's a great thing to do when underway, though we avoided it in any kind of seaway.

Why 240v in a 110v country?

Greetings,
Mr. BK. Most of the household appliances in North America with the exception of higher wattage items are 110/120V. Electric stoves and clothes dryers are usually 220/240V due to higher current demands (I think).

Last edited:
Why 240v in a 110v country?

Bruce

110v is the usual power on North American boats. 220v can be the output from our generators and is usually the normal shore power. North American 220v is totally different from European (Australian?) 220v in that it is made up of two legs of 110v. Thus power from our generators and shore power is split into the separate legs of 110v for most appliances.

Wiring can be done so that a single or a couple of outlets remain 220v for certain appliances. Thus a boat can have outlets for both power levels.

The downside of a 220v appliances for a North American boat is that few of our boat have 220v inverters so to use a 220v appliance you need shore power or run the generator. With a dryer that is usually the case anyway.

110v dryers take a long time to dry, whereas the 220v units are similar to home units.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. Most of the household appliances in North America with the exception of higher wattage items are 110/120V. Electric stoves and clothes dryers are usually 220/240V due to higher current demands (I think).

When you increase voltage by doubling it, you cut the current needed in half, So smaller wires needed with higher voltage. It is more efficient. And for driers you do have more total wattage power available with higher volts. Volts times current = wattage power.

240 volt inverters are available, but something like an oven or clothes dryer is going to suck down any battery bank fast. Makes much more sense to run the generator, and good for the generator too. We organized our days at anchor or on a mooring (we lived full time on moorings or at anchor several months a year) so that wattage intensive activities like laundry, dishwashing (we had a fullsize GE dishwasher), baking, ironing were grouped together around the same time as the batteries needed charging.. morning and evening. Worked out great.Trying to do those on an inverter, even with a massive bank, you'd be turning on the genset sooner or later anyway.

And at anchor I tend to wear nighties -- from a distance they look like dresses. With a wrap around skirt on the helm chair I can be "presentable" at a moment's notice.

Oh My!! :thumb: :D

This is a cheesy video I shot just for the fun of it. Hope I didnt jinks myself. We stayed on the hook at cape lookout for a week til we ran low on water (too many girls taking hollywood showers), but when we finally docked in Beaufort, NC the only laundry facility was closed. Well, we just used our own. Mine is 30 years old so I dont want to wear it out. I use the high speed marina units mostly but sometimes lots of sailors with dock carts full of clothes are ahead of us. Thats when we use our own units. Its kinda small and does better with light stuff like underwear and t-shirts, but its great to have in a pinch.

Back
Top Bottom