Wash and Wax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spottsville

Vessel Name
Quiet Company
Vessel Make
Great Harbour GH-47
Wash and Wax combined

Has anyone on the list found a wash and wax cleaner that actually washes and leaves a protective and glossy wax in One product?

When I go through the carwash they sell a wax cycle.......is the spray wax cycle for real or a scam? If its real where can I buy it?

Our trawler has a lot of fiberglass. Our small Karcher pressure washer (1000 PSI) works great to wash the boat and uses little water from our tank if we clean underway.

The thought of a wash and wax that really works would be a great find!!

My car experience was the pressure washer actually removed/blasted off the existing wax, I stopped using it.
I suspect auto carwash "wax" is probably residual silicone, but someone will know.
Tried the liquid "wash n wax" carwash products? Should work on boats.

Wash and Wax combined

Has anyone on the list found a wash and wax cleaner that actually washes and leaves a protective and glossy wax in One product?

When I go through the carwash they sell a wax cycle.......is the spray wax cycle for real or a scam? If its real where can I buy it?

Our trawler has a lot of fiberglass. Our small Karcher pressure washer (1000 PSI) works great to wash the boat and uses little water from our tank if we clean underway.

The thought of a wash and wax that really works would be a great find!!

You'll find the wash & wax product that really works in the same aisle as the perpetual motion machines.

The automotive combo products like TurtleWax or Meguilars', which a lot of small boaters use (but frequently!) just do not stand up to salt water. I have to admit I too am horrified at the thought of using a pressure washer on a boat; hard on the coatings and sealants. A regular adjustable hose nozzle set to a shower type spray will get the salt off just fine then wipe down with a chamois mop and/or microfiber cloth.

How about using Permanon?

After waxing once a year, I use permanon on the boat. In my experience it works very well. All I need to do to to clean off most dirt is to rinse the boat. It even helps to protect against the dreaded bird measles. May need a little assist from a brush, but rinsing gets rid of most of it.

Permanon sounds similar to Zaino and Rejex, the latter of which I had excellent experience with. No need to wax beforehand with these products, just need a clean shiny surface. Use 'em on metal and varnish too!

You'll find the wash & wax product that really works in the same aisle as the perpetual motion machines.[/QUOTE]

The PM machines have been withdrawn from the market, apparently the stop button was faulty.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'll admit to using the turtle wax wash/wax for wash downs. I don't use it as a substitute for wax/waxing/buffing. My expectations for it are low, I don't think it adds much wax.

On the other hand, it is biodegradable, inexpensive, available at grocery stores, suds up well and does not seem to strip the existing wax.

I don't think it hurts anything, and it may help a little. I wash my boat a lot, I'm kind of anal in that way.

I'll admit to using the turtle wax wash/wax for wash downs. I don't use it as a substitute for wax/waxing/buffing. My expectations for it are low, I don't think it adds much wax.

On the other hand, it is biodegradable, inexpensive, available at grocery stores, suds up well and does not seem to strip the existing wax.

I don't think it hurts anything, and it may help a little. I wash my boat a lot, I'm kind of anal in that way.

I'm with you. Use it to wash my boat regularly. Main reason is I know it won't strip my wax and yes it is cheap and biodegradable so no issues at the dock.

Well we are testing Permanon on our boat and I have to say so far I'm impressed with the results! Time will be the ultimate test but application was much better than washing and waxing. Get the surface clean and wax free* then apply and dry...much easier than rub-in-wax and then rub-off-the-haze (rub, rub ,rub,rub) !! Much less application effort and it can be applied to trim and varnish with no removal needed protects it too. First application we did was 10% per instructions (10 to 1 clean water to Permanon) maintence is 50 to 1 reducing the cost to a very managable expense compared to annual labor cost of waxing. A liter of Permanon Yacht Supershine was $200 (Amazon) and it will make 50 liters of maintanence mix $4.00 per liter applied as a fine mist just to the point of being wet and no more...... so a liter goes a longway!

Also Permanon recommends cleaning the surface with Simply Green Extreme

http://simplegreen.com/pdfs/TDS_EN-US_ExtremeAircraftPrecision.pdf

It is the best boat cleaner I have used! It can also be used in a preasure washer at 50 to 1 so it too is cost effective and works (and can go overboard without guilt)!

If Permanon is durable it will be a great solution for us...:)

No connection to either product...just testing.

Someone on another thread was extolling the virues of a product called Nu Finish, which he uses to wax his boat, but also found by accident it cleans mucky fenders quite well also - better than all the actual cleaning products which he has tried. Worth a look..?
The Once-a-Year Car Polish | Nu Finish - Nufinish

Back
Top Bottom