Old 09-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
No Limit Ships

We recently had discussions of Bering which builds steel ocean worthy trawlers. There's another company worthy of mention, No Limit Ships. They currently are bringing a boat to the Fort Lauderdale show via water from the Netherlands, where it is built. That trip can be followed here.

NLS goes USA – From Amsterdam to Ft. Lauderdale

It's their model 1550. A 50' boat capable of handling very rough seas but also of running a max speed of 25 knots. They are using fuel bladders to make the trip as range on their standard tankage isn't adequate. The other point I think that I would criticize is that it has twin Volvo engines.

No Limit builds commercial ships as well as several models of recreational vessels. Their shipyard is in Groningen.

I have an acquaintance who has been to their shipyard and was very impressed. Worth adding to one's list of seaworthy vessels as is Bering also worth keeping in mind. If you're going to FLIBS, definitely worth looking for.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #2

Interesting design,looks like the one that claims a 360 rollover capability(cant remember the name),but that one hasn't seemed to catch on,at least over here.
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
Interesting design,looks like the one that claims a 360 rollover capability(cant remember the name),but that one hasn't seemed to catch on,at least over here.
That is Elling. Interesting in that the same person we know has had involvement with No Limits, Bering, and Elling. They are all very interesting boats. They've all had a difficult time breaking into the US. Then the lack of presence and being seen and walked just makes their job more difficult. All three build quality boats. I think steel works against Bering and may also end up working against No Limits when it comes to the US market. If I was looking for a trawler to navigate the world, not only would I not be turned off by steel, I would fine it appealing. No Limits is from the Netherlands where the finest yachts in the world are build out of steel. They also have a commercial presence there so easier to sell there I would think.

They all three really could benefit by following the Cheoy Lee model and having a center in the US with several boats for people to go see and/or purchase. Obviously that takes money. It's just very difficult to penetrate this market without being seen at times and places other than boat shows. I think either of those three brands could be successful in the US, but not without a sizable investment in the market.

Good boats. Reminds me of a client my father had. Giuseppi or Joe depending. He bragged that he made the best pizza in the world and he should be successful. It was so difficult to get him to understand the best pizza in the world didn't matter if no one came to taste it. He went back to his previous job where he made very good money as a butcher for a very large restaurant.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #4

Right on,elling.I think as I get older,i am to change my middle name to alz,and my last to heimer.Seems appropriate.Was on an elling at some boat show(cant remember,go figure)Nice boat.but very closed up,I guess hence the 360 roll factor.Just felt too confined.Sorta like the small nordys,built like tanks,but the interior space suffers because of it.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
Right on,elling.I think as I get older,i am to change my middle name to alz,and my last to heimer.Seems appropriate.Was on an elling at some boat show(cant remember,go figure)Nice boat.but very closed up,I guess hence the 360 roll factor.Just felt too confined.Sorta like the small nordys,built like tanks,but the interior space suffers because of it.
I believe that's what drove them to extend 4' to the E4, which is 49'. Now Elling has an E6. It is 65'. I find the self-righting to be a bit of a gimmick but a very nicely done one. I'd be interested in the ride and performance and the space. And, I keep in mind that Boston Whaler built a brand on what some saw as a gimmick, the unsinkable boat.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #6

ah,and we cant forget the Trojan,an all rubber boat
Old 09-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #7

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
I love these boats!
Similar (in my mind) to Axopar boats, which I also adore!
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote