Walkie Talkie with Headsets Hands Free

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drummer48

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
COOL CHANGE
Vessel Make
38.5 Aft Cabin Cruisers
I have a question regarding what do people recommend ti use when you have someone of the foredeck and you as the captain want to communicate with them with a hands free unit?

I have a question regarding what do people recommend ti use when you have someone of the foredeck and you as the captain want to communicate with them with a hands free unit?

Check out Eartec. We have 3 units as we often have an extra hand who wants to feel involved. The clarity is amazing. We are 72' and have no problem with the distance from bow to stern. We have the version with only one ear-pad which I prefer as it keeps your peripheral hearing intact.

The only drawback we have found it that we have to be very careful when bending over to secure lines etc. as they can slip off. Wearing them over a baseball style hat seems to solve that problem.

I am sure some will propose hand signals etc. and we have used those succesfully for decades, however there is no substitute in my mind for being able to communicate clearly and quietly when a hand signal simply will not do.
~A

Last edited:
We used to use an older model and brand of hands free communication headsets. They were "self contained" in the double ear headset, had a relatively long protruding antenna, but often developed background noise issues and wind noise as well.
We later moved to the single ear, Eartec model. They are great in my opinion. Never experienced any issues at all. They worked effectively.

However, some additional advice. Tie a tether to them to clip to your PFD or clothing to ensure they do not fall off and end up in the water. Bending down and moving around could result in this type of accident under the wrong circumstances. With the "slave" unit, it is sometimes hard to ensure that it has been properly turned off, so a fall back is to remove the rechargeable battery between uses and/or carry a spare set of batteries.
Again, I do recommend them.

Does anyone else look at the prices on these things and wonder why?

I buy a lot of electronic stuff. A pair of these things shouldn't cost as much as a top of the line cell phone. I'm willing to pay a premium for good quality, but these are so far out of bounds that I just can't bring myself to even consider them.

Tom,
I know what you mean, they (Eartec) are not inexpensive!!
However, I found that they worked so well, by reducing stress levels during docking and anchoring by having complete well understood simultaneous hands free verbal communication at a conversational volume (so no yelling or wild demonstrative signalling), and probably reduced the possibility of missed or not understood communications possibly causing some kind of an accident. Certainly, I can say, we were both way more relaxed which to us, has a great value.

For us, it was well worth it (the accompanying peace of mind)!!
I am not affiliated with them in any way, just an owner.

Last edited:
I assume both the captain and first mate have cell phones? Why not just get blue tooth ear piece? Easy peasy and doesn’t cost a fortune.

I assume both the captain and first mate have cell phones? Why not just get blue tooth ear piece? Easy peasy and doesn’t cost a fortune.

That’s what we do, but of course that’s contingent on having a signal. Not everywhere has one.

That’s what we do, but of course that’s contingent on having a signal. Not everywhere has one.

Of course you are right. It’s just been so long since I was (knowingly) out of cell range, it doesn’t occur to me.

Many places I boat have no cell coverage, or are in places with circumspect coverage (in other words dropped calls with moments of drop out). One good thing about the Eartecs, they are very clear, all connected to the system can both speak and listen without touching the units, and their range is excellent.

Each to their own, but I value reliable communications.

We use SENA bluetooth headsets and they work fine. The other commonly-recommended option is Eartec RF headsets, but I have no hands-on experience with those.

I can tell you we tried cellphones with bluetooth ear pieces; that worked OK as long as we had cell service.

And we also tried family radios (FRS) with VOX mic and ear piece. That did NOT work all that great, because of the time lag/delay in VOX. Hadf to start each sentence with "One... two...three...four..." to get it to start working, and then whatever we really wanted to say. Also, these are simplex push-to-talk_ systems, so only one person can yak at a time.

-Chris

Sounds like a good idea for a cell phone app.

The app would pair to another cell phone also running the same app, and they'd communicate over Bluetooth, rather than cellular signals. Range would be limited, but on most boats the distance from helm to anchor isn't that far, and is line-of-sight.

[EDIT:]

And, like every good app idea, there are already dozens of them out there. Here's the search I did on the Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=bluetooth+walkie+talkie+app+offline&c=apps

Now it's just a question of which are the good ones. And you'd still want a good headset with microphone.

Last edited:
On approach my wife and I discuss landing briefly if same as always, as in Starboard tie preferred, more so if something is different. She then sets the fenders and prepares the docking lines.
Me on the CB and my wife just below with midship line in hand. We can talk without yelling.
Find this thread interesting but have not found a need for walkie talkies in hindsight where it would have been useful.

What is different for those of you that have or want these instead of a loud PA system (kidding)?

Hand signals work well for communication between the upper helm and the bow, when anchoring.
We also have a pair of eartech (?) bought to make parking the motorhome less stressful. They work through all the fibreglass and heavy metal of the motorhome and are audible over the diesel exhaust noises present at the rear. Since we have no high noise level nor lack of sight between the bow and the upper helm, we haven't tried these for anchoring. For going ashore with the stern line, they might work very well, though we haven't yet tried them in that use.

Keith and Steve,
For us, with no flybridge and a Pilothouse with reasonably good vision forward, to starboard, and a bit more limited to stern, with the crew member on the outside on the stern, we found the headsets to be very useful. Easy, reliable 2 way communication. It does come in handy for "fine tuning" the necessary adjustments (as long as you both speak the same language without the sometimes "male-female" issues :)).
Anchoring using hand signals does work, did it for years with the sailboat, but being able to easily "just talk" to select the exact spot, discuss conditions that might not have been apparent at the start, etc. is useful but probably not essential. Headsets also leave both hands free for "work" at all times while still being able to fully communicate. As stated by another poster, using the ones with only 1 ear piece also enables the outside crew or pilot to hear marina staff, etc. on the dock.
It is obvious they are not essential tools, but in my opinion, they do make many boat things easier. :) However, you do pay for this "advantage".

Tom,
Your opinion matters. For pilothouse boats probably needed.

As for anchoring, my way, I position my boat over spot to drop anchor into the wind or current if any and go to the bow to lower the anchor. Once it hits bottom I let out line as needed. At the lower station, give a it a burst to reverse to set.
I do this and stay at bow to triangulate the set and observe if dragging having found a beer in my hand to pass the time.

What is different for those of you that have or want these instead of a loud PA system (kidding)?

I actually tried using the hailer for a while... but the result seems like you're yelling all the time. If I turned the volume down so it didnt sound like I was shouting, I couldn't hear wifey through the system.

And don't have great visibility around the sides of the boat, especially now with this newer one... so hand signals (which work fine for anchoring) aren't so great (for us) for docking. Besides, wifey prefers being able to watch what she's doing (instead of watching the bridge) and hearing instructions at the same time.

Which is the preferred system?

Near as I can tell from reading, SENA and Eartec get the most recommendations and have similar followings. Not sure there's much functional difference between the two, so maybe headset fit is a bigger decider.

-Chris

Eartecs are the ticket for me because my crew changes. Many times my wife is the mate and we've worked out a procedure for anchoring and docking.

But this week, my brother helped me move the boat. He had not been on the boat in years. No way we could have docked smoothly without lots of practice or yelling. The headsets made it a snap.

Does anyone else look at the prices on these things and wonder why?

I buy a lot of electronic stuff. A pair of these things shouldn't cost as much as a top of the line cell phone. I'm willing to pay a premium for good quality, but these are so far out of bounds that I just can't bring myself to even consider them.

Speaking of cell phones, many of us already own bluetooth or wired earbuds, etc, which could be used for this purpose if you have cell signal and can make a phone call. Personally we do fine with hand signals, but I get it.

A quick Amazon search for "motorcycle Bluetooth intercom" turned up lots of items like this:

612OGHhL0JL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Granted, these are designed for use with a helmet, so the form factor is a bit different. But not different enough to justify a 500%-900% price premium.

Sorry, I call BS on the marine stuff.

And those look like knockoffs of Cardo or Sena motorcycle versions. As knockoffs, I’d expect them to be cheaper. We use Sena Expand, not marine specific and still not exactly cheap.

I use the Sena’s. I have no experience with the Eartec. My experience with the Sena’s has been less than satisfactory. I have used them for 4 years. My issues have been primarily battery life. I have one unit that seems to be fine and one that works for about 10 min and then shuts down. Most the time communication is crystal clear but sometimes there is a static issue. They are not user friendly, meaning we put them on first and if we forget to do that it’s to late as they don’t turn on and pair up automatically.

I will say that they are comfortable and we have never even came close to loosing a head set. They are small and store easy. We have never exceeded their range even when wandering down the dock looking for water or when I’m in the engine room and the wife is on the flybridge.

It is possible that when I bought the first set that I got a defective one. I have ordered two more hoping this solves my issues with Sena. We will see if I can get 3 good working units out of 4.

Speaking of cell phones, many of us already own bluetooth or wired earbuds, etc, which could be used for this purpose if you have cell signal and can make a phone call. Personally we do fine with hand signals, but I get it.

Have thought about this. In my area I have yet to find a marina without cell service.
Anchoring maybe not always.
So whynot get earpieces and use the cell phones for docking.

Have thought about this. In my area I have yet to find a marina without cell service.
Anchoring maybe not always.
So whynot get earpieces and use the cell phones for docking.

I always have cell signal where I boat, so I agree if you already have the cell equipment, you don't need to buy a marine-specific device.

Why I chose Eartec over Sena, was the bluetooth sync issue. Eartec do not require any ongoing syncing. You turn them on, put them on and they are ready to go. We never experienced any interference. They are totally "self contained" in the small headsets and do not need any connecting wires (like from a belt pack or phone), nor do they have any bluetooth "connection issues". To me (admittedly I have not tried all of the other options) they seem the most user friendly and have proven to be reliable and simple to use. However, some people have had a problem with not being able to reliably turn off the "slave unit" and therefore have experienced "dead batteries" etc. Solution, just ensure that the unit is in fact off, and/or remove the batteries when not in use (good idea anyway). Admittedly, even though they work well, they are expensive, but so are most things boat related.

Steve, never had a fridge on the bow, but could have been a good idea :)

On approach my wife and I discuss landing briefly if same as always, as in Starboard tie preferred, more so if something is different. She then sets the fenders and prepares the docking lines.
Me on the CB and my wife just below with midship line in hand. We can talk without yelling.
Find this thread interesting but have not found a need for walkie talkies in hindsight where it would have been useful.

We managed without on previous boats (49' & 53') until the current boat. We could manage now but it would not be pleasurable and isn't that the point?. In practice we use the Eartec units even when we could manage adequately without and it makes a huge difference to the stress level when things don't go totally as planned.

Factors:
1. Conventional anchoring and pulling anchor: our forward windows are at such an angle that someone at the bows cannot see anyone at the helm, just a reflection of the sky. So relying on visual aids means one-way communication. I could lean out the window to signal or call, but that impairs engine control and hand-signaling.

2. When things are not totally normal or to plan; the wind shifts, a boat approaches, an engine dies, a dockline is dropped, I change my mind mid-docking on which line I want secured to what and in which order. With the Eartec I have the ability to quietly, calmly and reassuringly communicate. This is the thing I LOVE about the Eartec system.

3. In a stressful situation it is hard not to yell if something needs to be done STAT. Eartec eliminates that. Even well-intentioned yelling is not going to work for my partner.

4. For example someone comes along the dock to take my wife's dockline which she was preparing to step off the boat with. Sometimes I will allow that, sometimes not. It all depends on the circumstances and who that person is. Not something I want that person to hear.

5. My usual dock space allows around 10' in front and behind the boat when moored. I also have to turn 180 degrees in a narrow fairway. I am about 15' off the edges of that fairway bow and stern. That may sound a lot but at 72' it feels pretty skinny to me. My wife, at the stern can quietly and calmly call out the distance to the obstacles as we rotate. While I can manoever at the helm while watching the bows. That works better for me than relying exclusively on the stern video camera.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
~A

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom