Old 07-25-2018, 05:57 AM   #141
Veteran Member

City: Plantation, Fl.
Once a very long time ago a wise man once told me that a power boater gets on his boat to go somewhere...whereas a sailor gets on his boat and he is there! That is the problem. That difference...some are in a hurry to get somewhere and others are already there and in no particular hurry!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:17 AM   #142
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
But ignorance abounds in both camps...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:08 AM   #143
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
I would appreciate your insight as to the proper course of action: does one try to slow for every boat, or is it OK to expect others to accept moderate wave conditions from vessels in transit? I do want to do the right thing. Appreciate any advice/suggestions.
I try to provide reasonable waves for boats along the way, but that does not mean no waves. I'll sweep as wide as I can and find decent speeds, but, unless in a no wake zone, I'm not going to provide no wake to boats hanging out in the channel.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #144

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
I am very focused in narrow water (such as the ICW) on meeting/passing boats to not create a "wake" related event for the other boat.

My frustration is the lack of response when calling out on the radio to discuss passing. My experience is similar with both Sail and Power boats. Someone is happy motoring along at 6-7 knots and just ignore the other traffic.
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #145
FF
Guru

"Someone is happy motoring along at 6-7 knots and just ignore the other traffic."

That is how it should be ., if the passing boat is skilled there is no need for any radio chatter.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #146

City: Merced CA
Vessel Name: none
Vessel Model: pipe dream
Thanks psneeld, bandb, and others. appreciate the comments
Old 07-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #147
Guru

Local customs can be valuable knowledge... Ask and observe what the vast majority OK f local do if you want to blend in.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:31 PM   #148
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
IME Audi drivers are by far the worst.

Also, in America the fine for some traffic offense is fixed at like maybe $200 (depending on the offense). For some guy working 3 jobs just to pay the bills, $200 is a significant deterrent. To the guy with the Lear Jet, it is probably less than pocket change. If he gets caught, "So what?".

There needs to be a penalty system that is based on your income like they have in some countries in Europe. One guy in Finland got fined $58,000 for going 64 in a 50 mph zone. Another guy was fined $103,000 for going 45 in a 30 mph zone (all numbers converted to US units). A system like that in the US might make some of the rich a**hole* on the road think a bit more about the things they do.
The freeways are now pretty much unregulated. In the last 6 months, 2 separate trips I drove from Ft Pierce Fl to Fort Worth, Tx and Ft Pierce to Booth Bay, ME. Combined I saw perhaps 5 Hwy Patrol working traffic. WAZE has pulled their teeth and I think they have given up. I wish they would ticket the left lane squatters. If I pass you on the right, you are in the wrong lane! I watch my mirror and move over. I never throw a wake, nor do the drivers faster than I. So you want to go 90? Strike a trot, and I will try to accommodate.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:35 PM   #149
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I try to provide reasonable waves for boats along the way, but that does not mean no waves. I'll sweep as wide as I can and find decent speeds, but, unless in a no wake zone, I'm not going to provide no wake to boats hanging out in the channel.
Exactly!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #150
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
The freeways are now pretty much unregulated. In the last 6 months, 2 separate trips I drove from Ft Pierce Fl to Fort Worth, Tx and Ft Pierce to Booth Bay, ME. Combined I saw perhaps 5 Hwy Patrol working traffic. WAZE has pulled their teeth and I think they have given up. I wish they would ticket the left lane squatters. If I pass you on the right, you are in the wrong lane! I watch my mirror and move over. I never throw a wake, nor do the drivers faster than I. So you want to go 90? Strike a trot, and I will try to accommodate.

Probably varies from place to place. Recent trip back to MD from IN... Ohio had a highway patrol car at about every third ramp.

I'd guess 90% of the time you see a left-lane squatter, probably going slower than the speed limit, they'll have MD plates.

I have a theory about why, actually. Around this area, ramps are short and frequent. Trying to move back to the right lane after being in the left... just means you'll have to move back to the left again in about 20 feet.

Different from other places, where ramps are a mile-and-a-half long and only happen once every 10 miles or so.

Driving in Germany when we lived there was much easier than here in the Mid-Atlantic area; everyone a) knew the rules, and b) followed the rules. More like the American midwest and west (omitting maybe the left coast; no experience there). Back to that recent trip, it was very common for drivers to pass correctly on the left and then return to the right. Except for most MD drivers, of course.

Slightly back in the direction of the topic, only some of the big trucks made much of a wake.

-Chris
Old 07-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #151

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: La Bella Vita
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
One word.........PAINTGUN
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #152
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
IME Audi drivers are by far the worst...
"Four zeroes on the grill; one behind the wheel"

--A Man Called Ove
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:45 AM   #153
FF
Guru

"But ignorance abounds in both camps..."

Perhaps but the stick , computer sideways docking system was not invented for sail boats.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:26 AM   #154
Guru

So all those "sailor wannabees" have no excuses then.....
Old 07-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #155
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly View Post
One word.........PAINTGUN

And just what do you suggest doing with your PAINTGUN recommendation? Are you suggesting using such device to property damage boats whose wakes cause annoyance?
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #156
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
And just what do you suggest doing with your PAINTGUN recommendation? Are you suggesting using such device to property damage boats whose wakes cause annoyance?
Hit da captain - LOL
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #157
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
I just logged in to this thread about wakers and would appreciate some advice. I try to be a considerate boater but sometimes find myself conflicted about the right thing to do. This last weekend I was returning from a SF Bay to Stockton cruise. The trip from Stockton CA to Sausalito is about 90 miles down the San Joaquin river. I know that I am responsible for my wake, and don't want to cause discomfort or injury to others. However, last weekend I found fishermen in flat bottom "bass boats" about every quarter mile. I cruise at about 9 knots and at that speed create a wake that will rock small boats. But if I reduce speed to idle for every fisherman in the deep water channel it will extend my trip to maybe 11 hours instead of 8 hours. I found myself thinking that if the fishermen didn't want to be rocked maybe they should be in one of the numerous side sloughs rather than the main channel,but clearly this thinking may be arrogant. I would appreciate your insight as to the proper course of action: does one try to slow for every boat, or is it OK to expect others to accept moderate wave conditions from vessels in transit? I do want to do the right thing. Appreciate any advice/suggestions.
Even in my 6 knot boat I slow for some boats.
But re the fishermen you talk about I be thinkíin if they insist in fishing where the big boys are they should be prepared for the wakes that are standard fare for the bigger boats. However plowing along at 9 knots w most trawlers will make what Iíd call an excessive wake. I donít think the fishermen should have to deal w that .. or any other small boats. From the post you made it seems the San Joaquin River is a congested waterway. In congested waterways slowing to 6 knots should be a given.
When I see kayakers I slow a bit to 5.5 knots just because they may be beginners and would be terrified by my small wake. But out on the sound I make no such assumptions and continue at 6 knots. However w a bigger boat I would slow much more.
To get to reality we should have other opinions of those familiar w the river. Like probably Mark w his Coot that is good at throwing a wake.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #158
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
One advantage of a six-knot boat is that one doesn't have to make a significant drop in speed to be wake-friendly.

When on the San Joaquin, as in similar waters, I often need to make a 60-degree turn into the wakes of faster boats.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #159
Veteran Member

City: Virginia
Vessel Name: Buoy Scout
Vessel Model: Tiara 3700 Open
I can't count the number of times I've tried to call a slower boat in front of me and propose a passing scenario. Mostly sailboats, sadly. Just last week, I called the sailboat in front of me to arrange passing. They did turn around and see me, but they did not answer the radio. I waited for them to clear the last marker leaving a marina, and in 15 feet of water, I put it on plane, passing them. I'm sure they cussed me, but they were doing 7 knots under power and there is no way I could give them a slow pass. Most trawlers I see do reply on the radio and we work things out. Is my experience that sailors are less likely to answer the radio different than yours?
sawdustdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #160
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I can count on just two fingers of boats asking about their proposed pass (Three Jeans [homeport Pittsburg] and FlyWright [homeport Vallejo].

Sailboats don't do radio. Honk your horn to say which side you'll pass. (Sailboaters brag they are more knowledgeable than power boaters, and will know the signal's meaning, but do not count on it.)