Voyage Planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spent the summer in the Chesapeake leaving Naples, Fl mid May and returning this mid October. The most valuable Navigation/Planning Aid was charting software from Italy called Aquamap. ...

Mind you, it only runs on the iOS platform which would be an iPad, which makes a welcome ancillary addition to your normal MFD. However one word of caution, the GPS in the iPad may not give you the necessary accuracy to navigate the ICW, as mine did not. You may need a remotely located GPS.

AquaMap runs on Android devices, too. No issues with GPS accuracy; our Samsung tablets always seem to be at least as accurate as our installed plotter/GPS.

-Chris

I still like using paper charts, not really for navigating but just for seeing the big picture and initial planning. Maybe because that's what I grew up with. I use digitial GPS charts almost exclusively for navigating. But I also like the Embassy/Maptech cruising guides for trip planning for any area I plan to be in. Lots of detailed info on marinas, anchorages, harbors, restaurants, etc, including photos. Here's a good example. Covers a large area with a wealth of info for $45.

https://www.amazon.com/Island-MAPTE...g+island+cruising+guide&qid=1636201891&sr=8-1

Yep, when I said we're not using paper, I was meaning the large single-area charts...

We do usually have a chartbook or two somewhere. One for the Chesapeake, for example... and then we've used the various ICW versions extensively...

I think we've had MAPTECH chartbooks, and there's some other useful brand that's not coming to mind just now...

We tend to not use those for navigation, though, more as "cruising guides" and for orientation. Partly because "navigation context" gets easier as chartplotter size increases.

-Chris

The advantage of using paper charts with or without electronic charts is, you can make notes on the paper charts. Time of arrival at each waypoint, etc.

New to Cruising?

Everybody is giving you good advice. We cruise the Great Lakes. where the big game is played for keeps by the weather. Lake St. Clair to Mackinaw City is five days at 70nm miles per day. We always plan on seven days. Of course, this is more open water, off shore boating than the ICW where you have to putt along through channels and around buoys. So: know what you can really do in a day. In our situation, 70nm is a good ten hours unimpeded taking turns at the helm. The main factor in having a good time and not getting in trouble is to know HOW MUCH YOU CAN DO BEFORE SERIOUS JUDGMENT IMPAIRING FATIGUE SETS IN.

Last edited:
How many people?

You are running 'outside', 24 fours?
The quiet night shift is the most difficult.
Why not leave it at, "I'll come get you when I am sleepy." Always plot the new 'cut' so you can sneak in and tie up or anchor, if the weather turns sour.

Daytime outside.... same.

ICW, few if anyone wants the challenge of running the ICW at night so tie up or anchor for the night

Daytime inside, 4-6 hours

All that said, who's gonna prepare the meals??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom