Volvo MD40A ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
34' CHB
Not familiar with these.

Would 5300 hours be a lot for this motor, just generally? Sitting in a 33' FG lobster style boat.

I am pretty sure I know which boat you are looking at. It is a 1981 boat so 5300 hours is only 139 hrs/year. That is certainly about average for recreational vessels. Also the listing is wrong, it is actually a TMD-40A Volvo turbocharged engine.

Yes, it was your boat previously I believe. Its in Shelter Bay and while walking the docks today for a bit of exercise I noticed it was for sale. Always liked the boat.

I look at it more as total hours not so much per year hours. It matters of course how it was run and care and maintenance. That was really my question as in, is 5300 for that model of engine a lot of hours, like due for rebuild or do they have a long life span on average like a Lehman? I have no idea.

I had a TMD100A in my previous vessel. With proper care I believe 10k hours is reasonable. A sea trial at WOT for a half hour will tell you a lot about the motor’s condition.

In the 10 plus years I owned that particular boat I followed the Volvo recommended maintenance schedule precisely and did oil samples annually. Never any issues. The only component I would be concerned about is the main engine heat exchanger. Remove it, clean it or replace it.

On this vintage Volvo the raw water cooling system uses mostly compression connections between components rather than hoses and clamps. The only effective way to seal connection points after servicing is with a sealing compound.

We did the inside passage to Southeast Alaska three times and northern BC and the Broughtons another five times on this boat and the engine never failed me. I believe it is certainly a "10,000 hour" engine.

If you are seriously thinking about this boat please PM me and let's take the discussion private.

T:Turbo
M:Marine
D Diesel
40:series designed in the 60s, so low injection pressure, ergo smoky at startup
A:some differences between A and B

I had a pair of these in my boat, as original equipment from 1980 to 2000. At 4500 hrs I sold them and replaced with 41s. I had some overheating issues, due to the heat exchanger system. By the time I had the 41s waiting, I had solved those issues and was able to sell for roughly what the 41s cost.
My mechanic suggested they were good to at least 10k hours.

Last edited:
We had the same make and year of boat and the same engine for 6 years until we sold last year for more creature comforts. Ours only had about 2,000 hours on it when we sold it but I have to say the Volvo ran like a top and other than routine maintenance we had no failures. It leaked no oil and used a litre in about 50 hours of running. The Volvos have a bad rap for parts availability and price but we didn't encounter much of this since we just didn't need many parts. Filters, impellers, belts etc. are generic and can generally be sourced locally. Loved that boat!

Attachments

• IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 40
TAMD40P here.... No issues at 1900 hours. This engine is used in Europe in commercial boats quite frequently with 20,000 hours reported as not unusual.

I had a Blue Seas 31 under contract a couple years ago and it had a 40B in it. The difference between them was (I think) a piston change to reduce the smoky nature of the "A" on start up. I have heard of cooling issues on these engines in my research at the time. The boat I was looking at showed evidence of an overheat and had at a minimum a bad head gasket and possibly other casting issues. The repair was estimated between 5-9 thousand dollars. While I was snowmobiling in the UP of Michigan my contract expired as I was waiting for the oil sample report to come back (took way too long) the owner said pay me today or I am selling to someone else. It was late afternoon and I had a two hour ride back to my car. He sold the boat out from under me. My broker got my expenses reimbursed and my deposit returned. The new buyer contacted me to try to get my information and I refused. I was later asked if I would help in a potential lawsuit. I refused that as well. Overheating is a known issue with these motors. Inspect the block and head carefully for signs of leaking or cracks. A properly maintained TAMD 40 should go a long way with good service and care.

I was more curious than anything, not knowing anything about these motors. While I like the boat, I think my boat is better suited to my needs. Afraid the aft cabin has spoiled me for any V berth type boats. Thanks for all the replies to my query.

Back
Top Bottom