A visitor to our marina today…

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau Hana

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Beautiful boat!

Attachments

• 2EFCB791-1B5B-4188-9814-85DC3DBF0CA2.jpg
    2EFCB791-1B5B-4188-9814-85DC3DBF0CA2.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 104
  • D689B397-7639-4DC0-99E9-30D21FE77BFD.jpg
    D689B397-7639-4DC0-99E9-30D21FE77BFD.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 4CDE6497-7F2F-44EB-8389-09D07B77E5FA.jpg
    4CDE6497-7F2F-44EB-8389-09D07B77E5FA.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 106
Wow, beautiful even if it is a Norty....lol

Ok, I'll ask, how many gallons and range. I could google it but....

When we were in Juneau in August we saw this near the Taku Seafood plant, big sister to the gorgeous boat above?

Attachments

• DSC_0061.jpg
    DSC_0061.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 44
About 3000 gal, and 3000+ mile range depending on how fast you go.

Thanks and HOLY TOLEDO! I went to your website and saw what happened during the ocean boat transport Adventures of Tanglewood: 2021.

So all that damage was caused by the lead ballast during the rough crossing? Where were those ballast bars? How many where there and how much weight? Are these used throughout to balance the boat? Looks like Nordhavn really stepped up to the plate!

I read a story about the Queen Mary, and that it rolled so badly they named her "The rolling Mary". It was so bad that a full grand piano turned a finely paneled lounge to wood kindling!

Last edited:
Thanks and HOLY TOLEDO! I went to your website and saw what happened during the ocean boat transport Adventures of Tanglewood: 2021.

So all that damage was caused by the lead ballast during the rough crossing? Where were those ballast bars? How many where there and how much weight? Are these used throughout to balance the boat? Looks like Nordhavn really stepped up to the plate!

I read a story about the Queen Mary, and that it rolled so badly they named her "The rolling Mary". It was so bad that a full grand piano turned a finely paneled lounge to wood kindling!

"A piano turning the lounge into kindling". That's about it.

The lead ballast bars hammered the toe kicks all around. But the damage above that up to waist height was caused by the mount of packed, wrapped, and tied "stuff" in the salon. Envision a small car in the salon sliding from side to side crashing into the walls as the ship rolls in 30' seas. Then after a while of that, so stuff breaks it's way out of the car and starts ping ponging around itself. That was the lead, and a few other things. Each bar is about 25-30 lbs.

The lead ballast is trim ballast for trimming the boat once it's fully equipped. Things like the dinghy type and placement can have a big impact on trim. Ironically, the boat sits trim within about 1/4", and we didn't need a single bar of ballast.

By the way, that ballast was all packed in a wood crate. In the clean up, we vacuumed up the remains of the crate.

At this point, the only thing left from the damage is a good story to tell. You would never know anything happened to the boat.

Tanglewood is looking good!

I emigrated to the US from the UK in 1958 as a small child on the Queen Mary. I was pretty seasick from the rolling and that was the last time I was ever seasick. I locked myself in the bathroom and an engineer had to be called to get me out.
~A

Ok, I'll ask, how many gallons and range. I could google it but....

Wifey B: Well, since he said "gas tank" I think it holds about 40 gallons. Yes, he has a gas tank on the boat. :) I'd imagine his tender has a range of 300 nm or more on that.

"A piano turning the lounge into kindling". That's about it.

The lead ballast bars hammered the toe kicks all around. But the damage above that up to waist height was caused by the mount of packed, wrapped, and tied "stuff" in the salon. Envision a small car in the salon sliding from side to side crashing into the walls as the ship rolls in 30' seas. Then after a while of that, so stuff breaks it's way out of the car and starts ping ponging around itself. That was the lead, and a few other things. Each bar is about 25-30 lbs.

The lead ballast is trim ballast for trimming the boat once it's fully equipped. Things like the dinghy type and placement can have a big impact on trim. Ironically, the boat sits trim within about 1/4", and we didn't need a single bar of ballast.

By the way, that ballast was all packed in a wood crate. In the clean up, we vacuumed up the remains of the crate.

At this point, the only thing left from the damage is a good story to tell. You would never know anything happened to the boat.

That is awesome love a story with a happy ending! And love the boat, top boat, top class.

Too much stairs (and windage) for this guy. :nonono:

Last edited:
T.T. She looks lovely! Congratulations!

Jim

It’s been a very sloppy trip up to Friday Harbor. Winds have been a steady 30-40kts, and we saw a gust to 52kts. Fortunately it’s on our tail so we are sloshing, not pounding. In about 45 min we will be inside between San Juan and Lopez. Looking forward to that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by markpierce

Too much stairs (and windage) for this guy.

And what exactly was the purpose of your post inserting that? :mad:

It's a thing we human beans do to reassure ourselves we are still happy with what we've got...sort of a flip-side to out and out envy, shall we say..? :D

Originally Posted by markpierce

Too much stairs (and windage) for this guy.

It's a thing we human beans do to reassure ourselves we are still happy with what we've got...sort of a flip-side to out and out envy, shall we say..? :D

Maybe like me --- bad knees --- bad ankles --- too many stairs, just too much. I wish I was 23 again.

Maybe like me --- bad knees --- bad ankles --- too many stairs, just too much. I wish I was 23 again.

Yeah, true for me. ... Trust the owner has his desired boat. (No envy here.)

TT- quite a ship. Congrats. You definitely seem to have handled the commissioning issues with more grace that I think I may have. Good lesson.

Last edited:
Looking at Tanglewood out past my cockpit this evening. I concur. What an amazing vessel. Right behind her is a power cat superyacht of unknown provenance towering three or four decks above everyone else. Still no comparison ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom