visiting the FL Keys by Road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Key West and the other keys are great for laid back time, relax and enjoy. I’ve been going to KW to fish sine the1960s, even had a shack built at Boca Grand to spend nights until the CG determined it was a hazard to navigation (on top of a flat). In those day crime was practically non existent, not today.

Enjoy, and as BandB said, don’t judge.

Wifey B: Garden of Eden very open. :rofl: It's on top of the Bull and Whistle. :D

Glad to hear it's still open, and in it's original capacity. :) It's an interesting place to spend an evening, fer sure, ummmmmm,:ermm: so I've heard:angel: ................. several times. :thumb:

Todd

Boot Key Harbor/living in Marathon

We are currently living in Marathon and have been since our last cruise to the Bahamas in 2016. Each Key is a bit different. Islamorada (BTW, pronounced as I-la-morada by locals) is dedicated to fishing. Marathon is for cruisers. Key West is party central. Bourbon Street in the tropics. If you are scoping out boating spots, I would definitely focus on Marathon. There are several high end marinas (Faro Blanco and Marathon Marina) as well as Boot Key Harbor. We live on a mooring ball. Not because we are destitute, but because 1) it’s REALLY cheap for the Keys at roughly $350/month for a mooring ball (save that money to go places!) 2) the connection to nature (always facing the breeze) 3) easy dinghy access to Sombrero Beach or fishing or snorkeling or eating at several places 4) it keeps us ready to go cruise 5) it keeps us in the mindset of monitoring water/power, etc. but with easy access to stores/support and 6) easy access to fuel/water. We can get to Key Largo or Key West easily. We ARE in the middle, after all. Boot Key Harbor, in particular, is a wonderful natural harbor/hurricane hole. The city and state have placed about 270 mooring balls in the harbor with some massive storm ratings (18,000 lbs. if I remember correctly... more on that later). The staff at City Marina (different than the private marina, Marathon Marina) are mostly boaters too. Very helpful and kind. There is a cruisers net at 9:00 a.m. every day. There are bicycles on loan as long as you have a lock for it. Mail/showers/lending library/TV lounges, wi-fi, etc. The city library is about 2 blocks away. Right next to the ER . This place is geared towards boaters who are on the move.

Concerning the moorings, we were here for Hurricane Irma. We have a 36,000 lb. boat. Marine Trader LaBelle ‘43. We stripped her, filled the water tanks and had to evacuate. Our neighbors on their slightly smaller Hinkley did the same. Both boats survived Irma. We did get bumped by a wayward vessel during the storm, but we could deal with some bent stanchions and a sideways anchor pulpit. Any resources we needed for help were right here in town.

I don’t work for the city or have any family member that do, but if you plan on using your boat, take a good look at Marathon. We are working, paying for upgrades to the boat, and planning on the Bahamas in April 2020. Great place for doing just that.

Doesn't seem that long ago but Christmas season 2008 I was single and hauled my motorcycle down to my folks place in Punta Gorda. Took 41 across the Everglades and down 1. I found a "Nuns Room" in a B&B for $60 on Dec 23rd. Riding a bike gives you a great view of water as you sit tall enough to see over the center barrier. I was also able to squeeze by traffic on the left shoulder as most would pull right to let me by. Once in front of the RV doing 45 you have the road to yourself to look left at the Ocean or right at the Gulf.

I was surprised I didn't see the "Expected People" that most say are everywhere. If it wasn't for the Cadillac with the "Characters" driving down Duval advertising a Drag Show...you wouldn't have thought it was any different than any other beach town. Maybe it was the Christmas season...I don't know.

Don't miss The Mel Fisher museum.

Have fun,

Sidney

I am not looking necessarily for bars and all.

Not sure what "and all" is. But if you're not looking for bars, Margaritaville may not be for you.

Plenty of fishing (Islamorada is probably the most well known for fishing, but you can find charters running out of almost all of the islands)

Good beaches on most of the islands.

There are many quaint shops to peruse in Key West.

There is live music EVERYWHERE, but again that is in the bars.

Make sure to be at Mallory Square in Key West about 1 hour before sunset.

Boyd's Key West campground (technically on Stock Island (Key)) is the closest to Key West.

Visting the "The Southernmost Point Buoy" is a neat tourist stop.

The Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory

Active Captain will show you all of the marinas.

We flew into Miami rented car and drove the keys from islamorada to KW over 2 holiday breaks to get informed. We visited all marinas boat related businesses made list for future use and 'graded' them for future use in selecting winter home port for our future trawler. A very worthwhile effort for us.

Additionally nothing can beat putting your eyes on and talking to locals .... Surebooks and reference materials are great but once again local knowledge is best imo.

Tim, I have absolutely nothing to offer regarding the Keys, but I notice you are in New Bern and have a nice looking Prairie 29. I'm in Wilson, NC and have family in New Bern - could I possibly stop by sometime and take a look at your boat?

As I read the stories and suggestions from everyone, I get excited about when I can escape and visit the keys.

Thank you everyone!

ForceMultiplier: thank you for the kind words about my vessel. PM me and we can try to get together. I love showing off my boat!

Tim

When I worked and lived in Miami, we would drive to Key West for work a lot. That was on weekdays, and I can still remember how brutal that drive could be traffic wise some days.

But, it is a pretty drive. :)

If you have the time, take the Card Sound Road detour; and stop at Alabama Jack's if you can. It's a tourist trap, but it's a memorable one!

When I worked and lived in Miami, we would drive to Key West for work a lot. That was on weekdays, and I can still remember how brutal that drive could be traffic wise some days.
..!

And that is from a Miamian's perspective. :D

Always clean your winshield and top off your washer fluid bottle, the afternoon sun will blind you when heading west... Buen viaje

Weekdays have light traffic, it more than doubles when the weekend warriors hit the streets. Weekends for us were for staying in.

As others have said Lorelei's in Islamorada is awesome by boat OR by car. Live music every sunset, a nice dinghy dock, a great anchorage, and it's walking distance to a west marine and many other bars and restaurants.

I also enjoyed Gilbert's by boat they have a very convenient fuel dock, a nice restaurant/tiki bar and a beach!

Weekdays have light traffic, it more than doubles when the weekend warriors hit the streets. Weekends for us were for staying in.

Yeah, I flat out refused to try and drive down there on weekends.

If there are ever Keys Deer on the sides of the road, and they often are, every New Yorker and New Jerseyite who has never seen a deer in their life comes to a dead stop to look. :facepalm:

Many a time, I thought there was a wreck up ahead, but when I got to the bottle neck, it was 4 or 5 deer on the side of the road.

Better to go by boat if you can!

True. Thank God the middle keys and upper key have no deer, Big Pine is where those critters live.

There are parts of NJ with so many deer you are scared to drive at dusk. I will bet most of NY state too :)

The attraction must be those people have never seen deer the size of a dog.

I wouldn't call the anchorage off Loreli's in Islamorada even fair in a good cold front norther.

btw; these key deer are getting hit at about 1 every 3rd day as a fatal. Last Aug. I witnessed a hit and run deer hit by a car. My daughter had the poor thing in her arms; after about 10 minutes, the deer stopped bleeding out its nose and readjusted an out of whack leg, and took off walking.

There are parts of NJ with so many deer you are scared to drive at dusk. I will bet most of NY state too :)

The attraction must be those people have never seen deer the size of a dog.

I'm thinking more of the NY City area where my in-laws were from. When we moved to Florida, my father in law was 100 per cent convinced that we were in danger of being attacked by alligators.

I agree that I found the residents of upstate New York, and southern New Jersey, to be more like people in southern states than northern states.

What do they say about Pennsylvania? New York City on both ends, with rural Alabama in the middle? :)

Last edited:
True. Thank God the middle keys and upper key have no deer, Big Pine is where those critters live.

Bigfish, you didn’t see my letter in the Miami Herald on Sunday did you! :D
I wrote suggesting that breeding colonies be started in the North end of Key Largo. My thinking is that they are found in such a small geographic area that a single hurricane could make them extinct.

Parks. No I didn’t. I quit reading that liberal mullet wrapper years ago. Sorry.
Hope your doing well and you make it to the Ft Pierce gathering this year, beers will be waiting for you. :)

I going to try to make it up to the gathering. The Herald’s editorial policy drives me crazy too but it’s the only newspaper I’ve got.

Wall Street Journal is available in print and via internet.

Hope you can make it.

Wifey B: This Friday is the time to go to Key West, but probably should start about now. Friday the 18th through the 27th and will shake some of you totally up. Fantasy Fest. :dance::dance::dance:

We went last year but right now on the route home from Bermuda. Overnight should pass through the Bahamas as we took a southern route for better seas. :)

Fantasy Fest was great in my younger drunken days, today it is a gross disgusting bunch of people many high on drugs, raunchy.

Fantasy Fest was great in my younger drunken days, today it is a gross disgusting bunch of people many high on drugs, raunchy.

Wifey B: When was your last time there? We were there last year with a group of 14-20 of us (larger number on weekend). Here's what I know from last year.

It started to bring people in during the offseason and still does. Anywhere from 60,000-100,000 in total attend. However, it's also become a huge charity event. The Royal Competition raises $300,000 a year. The Royal Coronation is hilarious. There are many other charitable events. We participated in BraZaar which is a huge fundraiser auction for Womankind, which provides healthcare for women in Key West. There's an Animal Party for the local SPCA.

Yes, there's nudity and you can call it raunchy, I call it beautiful. More body painting than you've ever seen and incredible artists doing so. We got painted a couple of times during the ten days.

However, there's also stuff for families. The Goombay Festival, The Zombie Bike Ride, The Heroes and Villains Run/Walk, and Children's Day.

On certain days there is a designated part of town, a Fantasy Zone and that's where most of the fun/debauchery takes place.

I agree on too much drinking but then I think there's too much most places. We had fun without drinking though.

Now, back to raunchy. Except for designated events, not a place for kids, but plenty for them at the resorts and beaches. So, for adults, mild raunch and serious raunch. Very mild in terms of what you'll see on the streets. Very heavy behind closed doors inside clubs and bars at events where only those expecting such would attend. (Let me assure you there's just as bad in Miami, you just don't go to it). We did go to some of the wildest events and took some with us who would never participate but loved observing. Takes open minded people to enjoy it though. A lot of costume contests of every sort.

As to "high on drugs". The only drug I observed being used was weed and it's always around Key West. As to "high on drugs", I don't consider weed something to make one high, more like chill, and the behavior problems I observed most definitely came from one drug and one drug only, alcohol. There are those who go to multiple parties each night to see how drunk they can get and their behavior is often repulsive. Even in some of the wildest parties, rudeness and misconduct is not allowed.

If the intent is a week of drunkeness, then it's available. But if it's to see a different type of entertainment, then that's also available. Likely not for those conservative in their attitudes toward sex and entertainment. There are two events schedules. The regular one goes from PG to R17 or whatever it is. The black schedule is definitely all X rated. I can see it not being fun for many people. We have friends who would be horrified. However, the group we were with got into the spirit without booze or drugs. They even went to some of the worst parties and enjoyed observing but didn't participate.

So Raunchy, yes. :D:D:D Booze, yes, too much. :nonono: Drugs, observed none other than weed and no real abuse or issues. :)

I know many here would hate it all. Others might be curious, but not about to admit it here. However, it can be fun. :dance::dance::dance: For the young in spirit and open in views toward nudity.

Oh, and one event this year, I wish I was there to see. This one's new to Key West. Air Sex Championship. It's silhouetted behind curtains, neon lights, and sex with invisible partners apparently. Supposed to be one of the funniest events ever. :)

WifeyB. Yes drugs were involved every year besides pot. A friend that’s an LEO can attest to that, cops are told to not make arrests and to look the other way unless it is outrageous they can’t.
Each to his own but looking at strange naked bodies is not my favorite thing, when I was younger maybe. :)

Back
Top Bottom