Vinyl fabric repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kenmaki

Vessel Name
Ice Breaker
Vessel Make
Mainship 40T 2004
A portion of the walls in our stateroom are covered with a vinyl fabric upholstery (like bonded leather). Unfortunately there are a couple areas starting to crack and peel. Replacing this fabric would be difficult. Wondering if anyone has successfully used a paint or other method to repair vinyl upholstery?

I’ve seen YouTube videos using a filler called Bond and Flex; and, also, Rustoleum has a vinyl paint. Any thoughts on these approaches?

I have used a spray on vinyl paint on some headliner on a previous boat and it worked very well. But the vinyl was physically in good condition just discolored. I don’t see how it would work on cracked and peeling vinyl. I think that you may have to replace the vinyl. I know many boats have the vinyl running beneath the cabinetry. It is a PITA to remove all the cabinetry, sometimes impossible. Maybe just cut the old vinyl along the edge of the cabinetry and replace it up to the cabinetry. Then some trim along the edge of the cabinetry to cover the edge of the vinyl?

Vinyl paints/dyes can work but require meticulous surface preparation. I've used them on the dash and door panels of several cars over the years. They have never held up on areas of high wear such as armrests.

It sounds like you have a questionable surface. I'd replace the vinyl rather than go through the expense and effort of painting it.

I once replaced vinyl wall covering in a "V" berth with a commercial wall fabric. I really liked it. It was much "warmer" and comfortable looking.

Just think of all the poor defenseless "Naugas" sacrificing their lives for a naugahyde sofa or chair. Pity the poor beasts (although I have never seen one in the wild)

pete

Pete, do you have any pictures or more info on the material you used? I just finished removing all of the wall covering in our V berth and we are looking for ideas on the replacement.

https://youtu.be/oWhAbi8yaxU

Back
Top Bottom