Victoria BC to Portland,OR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bshill, Sydney is a great place for a boat. Look at moorage just to the north of town.

If you walk on the ferry at Anacortes, is about10 bux to go there. Great town.

Weather window

Just plan to drop things when you have a three day weather window and don’t waste any time. Have boat staged at Neah Bay. Run the start of the weather window from Neah Bay to Grays Harbor and stand by there for a proper Columbia bar crossing opportunity. At Astoria you can harbor until you have time to traverse inland water 101 miles from Astoria up the Columbia to PDX in any weather, as you know. Easy Peasy. The swell condition and 3 day weather window is what you need for safety. The window doesn’t always last three days. Been there done that, in the described fashion just like many others have. Anyway, welcome to the trip and enjoy it. Keep us posted.
Note: I would not recommend entering La Push bar unless you gain, recent, local knowledge.

Holy crap you should look at Windty at the hurricane just off the coast of Washington. Stiff winds on the Columbia!!!

I can't even imagine what the conditions are like off the coast right now. This is at Ogden Pt at the entrance of Victoria Harbour. We're getting 2-footers in the marina.

HDsgUFv.png

Never having sailed down the pacific coast under power what do most consider doable? Feb 7/8th looking at 5-6 swells.

Never having sailed down the pacific coast under power what do most consider doable? Feb 7/8th looking at 5-6 swells.

5-6’ is easy peasy, but that is a LONG ways out being it’s the 31st.

I follow the youtube channel of a couple that has been stuck in Greys harbor since long before Christmas...waiting for a weather window to the next port south.

Something to consider...

I can say that a forecast for 6 days from now means absolutely nothing there. At 3 days out you can plan. At 1 day you can commit.

As far as wave heights and your comfort level I could suggest looking everyday at the daily forecast and then looking at Columbia Bar conditions. Can you see passable bar conditions for 5-7ft swell heights?

I'm chicken and waited till I had 3ft or less before I ventured out from Neah Bay, but that's just me.

You can get a slip fairly cheaply at Neah Bay. Maybe venture outside during various swell conditions for a 3 hour tour to see what you are comfortable with? (Did ANYONE here get that reference?:D)

Swell height is only part of what you need to consider. Period. Wind waves. Direction of both swell and wind. With no experience off this coast be very conservative. There are some hard lessons to be learned.

The weather on Cape Flattery this morning:

.SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...
Synopsis: PZZ100-020200- 847 AM PST Sat Feb 1 2020 .Synopsis for the northern and central Washington coastal and inland waters...A strong cold front is moving inland. A trough will move through the area on Sunday. Light offshore flow will develop on Monday. Another frontal system will move into the area on Tuesday. $$

TodayNW wind 20 to 30 kt. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft. W swell 16 ft at 12 seconds. Showers.

TonightNW wind 20 to 30 kt becoming W 15 to 25 kt after midnight. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft subsiding to 2 to 4 ft after midnight. W swell 16 ft at 12 seconds subsiding to 14 ft at 12 seconds after midnight. Showers. A chance of tstms.

SunSW wind 20 to 30 kt becoming W 15 to 25 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft. W swell 13 ft at 12 seconds. Showers.
Sun NightNW wind 20 to 30 kt. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft. W swell 15 ft at 12 seconds.

MonN wind 20 to 30 kt easing to 10 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft subsiding to 1 to 3 ft in the afternoon. W swell 16 ft at 12 seconds subsiding to 14 ft at 12 seconds in the afternoon.

Mon NightNW wind 5 to 15 kt becoming SW after midnight. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. NW swell 11 ft at 12 seconds.

TueSW wind 15 to 25 kt becoming W 20 to 30 kt. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft. W swell 8 ft building to 18 ft.

WedW wind 20 to 30 kt easing to 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft. W swell 16 ft.

The weather on Cape Flattery this morning:

.SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH MONDAY MORNING...
Synopsis: PZZ100-020200- 847 AM PST Sat Feb 1 2020 .Synopsis for the northern and central Washington coastal and inland waters...A strong cold front is moving inland. A trough will move through the area on Sunday. Light offshore flow will develop on Monday. Another frontal system will move into the area on Tuesday. $$

TodayNW wind 20 to 30 kt. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft. W swell 16 ft at 12 seconds. Showers.

TonightNW wind 20 to 30 kt becoming W 15 to 25 kt after midnight. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft subsiding to 2 to 4 ft after midnight. W swell 16 ft at 12 seconds subsiding to 14 ft at 12 seconds after midnight. Showers. A chance of tstms.

SunSW wind 20 to 30 kt becoming W 15 to 25 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft. W swell 13 ft at 12 seconds. Showers.
Sun NightNW wind 20 to 30 kt. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft. W swell 15 ft at 12 seconds.

MonN wind 20 to 30 kt easing to 10 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft subsiding to 1 to 3 ft in the afternoon. W swell 16 ft at 12 seconds subsiding to 14 ft at 12 seconds in the afternoon.

Mon NightNW wind 5 to 15 kt becoming SW after midnight. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. NW swell 11 ft at 12 seconds.

TueSW wind 15 to 25 kt becoming W 20 to 30 kt. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft. W swell 8 ft building to 18 ft.

WedW wind 20 to 30 kt easing to 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 4 to 6 ft. W swell 16 ft.

In other words, "ya aight goin' anywhere!"

Looking towards next week, 4 ft swells - I might just enjoy it though in Olympia until 3ft show up. I'll post some pictures of my day yesterday bringing it down from BC. Customs was easy peasy. Came prepared and had all the documents they wanted to see. In and out in less than 30 minutes.

Last night was small craft advisory at the Columbia River Bar. As we approach March there will be better days

Dont miss that crap at all. Was pretty chilly this morning tough here in La Paz, 67 degree’s no wind. Mid 70’s to day though.

In my opinion the risk / reward ratio of using that short cut is way out of balance. To use that shortcut a boater has to pass between the very unfriendly shore of Tatoosh Island and Jones Rock which as the chart notes is awash at 1/2 tide. Running aground in that area is not a trivial matter. Currents can be running hard in there, any wind at all opposing the currents kicks it up quite a bit.

Regarding time and fuel saved, when looking at the charts if I use an outbound go / no-go decision point just west of Neah Bay to a point where the two routes converge again south of Tatoosh I get the following:
5.8 nm outside north of Tatoosh
4.84 nm inside south of Tatoosh
0.96 nm distance saved by using the short cut

At a trawlerish speed of 8 kts and a burn rate of 3 GPH that is a time savings of 7.2 minutes and a fuel savings of 0.36 gal.

Having come thru there in July, I also looked at the shortcut.
To save a mile and add some risk is a poor bet.

Here is the Vlog I made of that portion and you can see the route I took.

https://youtu.be/9L6gJqw3K-Q

Also, cheapest fuel along the entire coast and best marine store is in Astoria.

Looking towards next week, 4 ft swells - I might just enjoy it though in Olympia until 3ft show up. I'll post some pictures of my day yesterday bringing it down from BC. Customs was easy peasy. Came prepared and had all the documents they wanted to see. In and out in less than 30 minutes.
Agreed. Tuesday starts looking pretty good. Winds forecast to reduce and seas will be in the 1-2 meter range. If it holds, a good wx window.

Same all the way down to the bar. So now you need to time the bar. :

MonN wind 15 to 25 kt becoming NW 5 to 15 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft subsiding to 1 to 2 ft in the afternoon. W swell 12 ft at 10 seconds subsiding to 10 ft at 9 seconds in the afternoon.

Mon NightNW wind 5 to 15 kt becoming E after midnight. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft. W swell 9 ft at 10 seconds.

TueE wind 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft. W swell 6 ft.

WedE wind 5 to 15 kt becoming SE to 10 kt. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft. W swell 4 ft.

Last edited:
Latest info- Tuesday thru Thursday looks promising:

Tonight..NW wind 20 to 30 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. W swell 10 ft at 15 seconds. Rain likely in the evening then a chance of rain after midnight.
Mon..NW wind 15 to 25 kt easing to 5 to 15 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft subsiding to 2 ft or less in the afternoon. W swell 10 ft at 14 seconds. A chance of rain in the morning.
Mon night..NW wind 5 to 15 kt becoming ne after midnight. Wind waves 2 ft or less. W swell 8 ft at 14 seconds.
Tue..NE wind 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. W swell 6 ft at 13 seconds.
Tue night..NE wind 5 to 15 kt becoming E 10 to 20 kt after midnight. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. W swell 6 ft at 12 seconds.
Wed..E wind 10 to 20 kt becoming 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. W swell 4 ft.
Thu..S wind to 10 kt. Wind waves 1 ft or less. W swell 6 ft building to 8 ft.

Here's a good link to Columbia River info https://columbiariverbarpilots.com/columbiariverbarpilots_conditions.html

Depending upon how far off you have to run to clear the crab pots its at least 153 nm Neah Bay entrance to the Columbia River Bar. If you don't want to run at night, which I don't this time of year in twin screw recreational boats, you have just over 11 hrs of light. You're going to have make good over 13 kts.

Be prepared to duck into Grays Hbr if you don't make good enough speed to time the Columbia River entrance.

The tidal currents are in your favor for both Grays Hbr and Columbia river bars being flood currents mid afternoon through last light.

All very good information shared on this site. I am going to turn South tomorrow in the AM around 7am. I don't care to move during dark - too much debris this time of the year. I am feeling comfortable with the weather/prediction and will check again tomorrow in the AM before heading down South. We made really good time today at 18-19 knots. I have also anticipated extra fuel burn and a slower cruise rate depending . All the boxes are being checked off. Now to time the bar just right. Any suggestions for tomorrow? I am aiming for a 4pm crossing baring no slowdowns or unexpected issues.

Just returned from Ocean Shores today, it was beautiful out there. Plenty of fresh trees and logs on the beach though. Not sure if you'll be able to hold 18-19 knots and see all the smaller logs. Swell was mostly mellow however there was still a larger set in the cycle. The swell should lay down some more so hopefully that won't impact your running speed. Also it looked like there was some type of algae bloom in progress, the shoreline had extra gunk on it and the water was brown. You may be far enough out to miss it however if I had to run through it I'd keep an eye on temps and would check on the engine sea strainers to see if it was starting to create any issues. Fishing boats were active so you won't be too alone out there.

You definitely have favorable conditions for running south, enjoy the clear weather.

When you say turn south does that mean departing from Neah Bay?

I think a 4 PM arrival at the CR entrance looks good. The flood will be developing and last through last light making an easy entrance.

I'm saying arrival at the CR entrance not the bar because I don't like to approach the mouth of the Columbia while still ebbing, the rough stuff goes quite a distance off shore.

My main comment on your plan is your assumed speed made good. I've never made my protected flat water speed off this coast unless it is as calm as protected flat water.

I'd be dropping lines about 6 AM, civil twilight is 6:10 AM, enough light to see my way out of Neah Bay. By the time I'm looking to round Tatoosh it will be full daylight. That buys me another hour which can make a lot of difference if the wx kicks up. If I'm early for entering the river no harm done, make some lazy circles out there until the time is right.

As I'm approaching Grays Hbr I'd assess my situation, if I'd had to slow down due to seas I'd look at ducking in to Westport. Wx Fri looks good if you do have to spend the night in Westport.

Have a look at this link Columbia River Bar Hazards be aware of the dangerous areas on the chartlet. Specifically D Peacock Spit and B Clatsop Spit. Peacock Spit is a sneaky one, it can all look good then a big breaking sea seems to come out of nowhere. Clatsop Spit is used by the USCG for heavy surf training.

I think a 4 PM arrival at the CR entrance looks good. The flood will be developing and last through last light making an easy entrance.

Great day for transit along the coast. 4-6 foot swell at 12-seconds, with some minor wind chop.

NOTE - the wind is forecast from the east today. While I would definitely plan on a flood to get the extra push, the wind will be against the flood current. Conventional wisdom is to avoid entering on an ebb to avoid counter-winds stacking-up steep chop. Today is an exception - opposite is true, though given the benign conditions, makes little difference. Ride the flood, get dock lines down, have a beer.

Unless something dramatic changes (and it could), the CR will be a nothing-burger today. Just my opinion.

Fair winds -

Peter

Last edited:
Great day for transit along the coast. 4-6 foot swell at 12-seconds, with some minor wind chop.

NOTE - the wind is forecast from the east today. While I would definitely plan on a flood to get the extra push, the wind will be against the flood current. Conventional wisdom is to avoid entering on an ebb to avoid counter-winds stacking-up steep chop. Today is an exception - opposite is true, though given the benign conditions, makes little difference. Ride the flood, get dock lines down, have a beer.

Unless something dramatic changes (and it could), the CR will be a nothing-burger today. Just my opinion.

Fair winds -

Peter

Good point about the easterly winds. And I want to point out I made a rookie mistake reading the current predictions. 4 PM will still be on the ebb.

Good point about the easterly winds. And I want to point out I made a rookie mistake reading the current predictions. 4 PM will still be on the ebb.

I didn't catch that - there was another recent thread where there was confusion about low tide being synonymous with slack current (despite it being intuitive and related, they do not correlate). I forget if it was off Noyo River (Ft Bragg) or Coos Bay, but the USCG got pretty concerned about a mariner who could not get it through their skull that the times for slack water did not correlate with high tide (or low tide, I forget which).

What do you use for Current? I opened up Coastal Explorer for the area and really only found tides. I also have an App on my android but also gives tides, not currents? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Peter

All very good information shared on this site. I am going to turn South tomorrow in the AM around 7am. I don't care to move during dark - too much debris this time of the year. I am feeling comfortable with the weather/prediction and will check again tomorrow in the AM before heading down South. We made really good time today at 18-19 knots. I have also anticipated extra fuel burn and a slower cruise rate depending . All the boxes are being checked off. Now to time the bar just right. Any suggestions for tomorrow? I am aiming for a 4pm crossing baring no slowdowns or unexpected issues.

Check this. It is what I use. Click on Columbia River

https://www.weather.gov/pqr/barcams

I didn't catch that - there was another recent thread where there was confusion about low tide being synonymous with slack current (despite it being intuitive and related, they do not correlate). I forget if it was off Noyo River (Ft Bragg) or Coos Bay, but the USCG got pretty concerned about a mariner who could not get it through their skull that the times for slack water did not correlate with high tide (or low tide, I forget which).

What do you use for Current? I opened up Coastal Explorer for the area and really only found tides. I also have an App on my android but also gives tides, not currents? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Peter

My CE shows current by an arrow. Larger the arrow the faster the current. Also when you get down the coast listen for bar reports. If in doubt CALL the USCG. They like helping cruisers like us!

Thanks

Peter

I know a few experienced boaters, even a licensed pro who can't get it through his head high and low don't necessarily coincide with slack. He even recommends only crossing bars at high slack, whatever he means by that because he doesn't understand the difference between high and slack.

I made a different kind of rookie mistake. Not reading the current graph correctly in OpenCPN.

Since Nobeltec bought and shutdown Tides and Currents software years ago I don't have any good recommendations for stand alone tide and current predictions.

To correct myself today I used NOAAs current predictions off the web.

I know a few experienced boaters, even a licensed pro who can't get it through his head high and low don't necessarily coincide with slack. He even recommends only crossing bars at high slack, whatever he means by that because he doesn't understand the difference between high and slack.

I made a different kind of rookie mistake. Not reading the current graph correctly in OpenCPN.

Since Nobeltec bought and shutdown Tides and Currents software years ago I don't have any good recommendations for stand alone tide and current predictions.

To correct myself today I used NOAAs current predictions off the web.

Similar mistake here too. I didn't think entering the bar 30 minutes into an ebbb would be that big of a deal. Boy was I WRONG!!

This link has everything you need.

https://www.weather.gov/pqr/barcams

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom