Vibrio Vulnificus death by sea water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've had several cases resulting in death written up in the local media down here. All seem to be older guys (60+) with open wounds (whatever that means) who were in the water.

CDC reports (https://www.cdc.gov/vibrio/) about 80,000 cases with about 100 fatalities. 52,000 due to food contamination. The remaining 28,000, due to, presumably, water contact. The distribution of fatalities is not parsed as to food or wound related.

Immuno-compromised individuals are at greatest risk. Brackish water vice fresh or salt water promotes vibrio vulnificus presence. The key seems to be getting medical attention promptly when signs of infection exhibit - although that didn't seem to help the poor guy in Maryland.

At 3:1000 fatality odds after infection, I think I'll continue to eat a dozen raw and go over the side as required or desired.

It is fairly common around here, but rarely fatal. Years ago a friend got it from a shrimp "stick" in the hand, he had to go through several surgeries, his arm from hand to elbow opened up and a good bit of flesh removed to the bone. Finally they got it all under control and he was ok.
When you look at the millions of people in water activities recreation and commercial the number of incidences don't seem so high. I know, small consolation for those who are affected.
Didn't one of the forum members have a bout with it not too long ago?

Last edited:
Vibrio infections are very unusual but may be highly aggressive. As sbu22 pointed out, immono-compromised people are at greatest risk but that is always the case for any type of infection. Vibrio are not difficult to treat. Recognizing source is key for suspicion and antibiotic selection. I have a captive coral reef ecosystem at home. I've seen a few reefers with these infections after coral cuts in their home systems.

Back
Top Bottom