Old 02-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #21

City: ACUSHNET
Vessel Name: POWERPLAY II
Vessel Model: MAINSHIP 30 PILOT
thanks everyone, just hoping someone who reads this has had the same problem and what they did to solve it again thanks

GLENNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #22
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
To the OP:

Even if someone chimes in and says, "Yes I had the problem and this is what solved it", how do you know that his fix will fix your problem.

You are pinning your hopes on the high speed vibration problem being endemic to all boats like yours and someone else's fix will fix your boat. That may or may not be the case.

I have a Pilot 34. It has a little high speed vibration, probably cavitation. Someone else on this or another forum said fairing the dead wood solved his problem. I spent more than a thousand dollars doing the same thing and it did nothing for the vibration.

So be careful about the magic bullet solution.

As others have recommended, I would check the engine alignment, coupler, prop shaft straightness, prop trueness and key placement first. All of these can be done for a couple of hours of mechanic's time and a quick dive or haulout.

Then and only then would I consider the prop solution. I would talk to a good prop shop about what current prop to hull clearance you have and solutions like a 5 blade prop to improve it. But that will cost you a couple of thousand for a new prop.

Check the simple stuff first.

David

DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #23

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Check the torque on all your driveline bolts..

I had a similar problem and that fixed it. They had vibrated loose over time(a couple at the coupling).
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #24
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
The logical start point is to have the propeller, shaft, bearings and alignment checked.
Having just bought the boat in July, you have no way of knowing what's gone on down there in the past.
Groundings, running over debris, even mishandling on shore may have occurred.
If all's well along the drive train, then it's time to look into some of the above recommendations.
This was going to be my comment. Go on the hard, pull the prop, shaft and check cutlass and other bearings. Then have the yard put it all back together . You at least eliminate the obvious first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
To the OP:

Even if someone chimes in and says, "Yes I had the problem and this is what solved it", how do you know that his fix will fix your problem.

You are pinning your hopes on the high speed vibration problem being endemic to all boats like yours and someone else's fix will fix your boat. That may or may not be the case.

I have a Pilot 34. It has a little high speed vibration, probably cavitation. Someone else on this or another forum said fairing the dead wood solved his problem. I spent more than a thousand dollars doing the same thing and it did nothing for the vibration.

So be careful about the magic bullet solution.

As others have recommended, I would check the engine alignment, coupler, prop shaft straightness, prop trueness and key placement first. All of these can be done for a couple of hours of mechanic's time and a quick dive or haulout.

Then and only then would I consider the prop solution. I would talk to a good prop shop about what current prop to hull clearance you have and solutions like a 5 blade prop to improve it. But that will cost you a couple of thousand for a new prop.

Check the simple stuff first.

David
Good advice....

Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote