VHF GPS DSC usage poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What functionality have you used on your VHF radio

• GPS internally

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • GPS - connected externally

Votes: 31 66.0%
  • DSC Distress call -Rescue 21

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • DSC - call bridge to bridge

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • DSC - all boats call - announcement

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • DSC - Test call to USCG MMSI

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters

Olebird

Vessel Name
StarLite
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
This poll is about VHF functionality and usage.

Have you ever used any DSC functions on your VHF?

DSC = not voice - digital only!

Please vote above and/or free form reply.

Thanks

Last edited:
2 VHFs at my helm. Both with DSC (with MMSI programmed) and both have internal GPS. Neither is hooked up to anything external, but that'll happen when I add AIS at some point and have a reason to add some NMEA cabling.

2 VHF handheld with GPS, 1 permanent mounted with GPS and DSC, hailer, fog warning

None of your choices apply.
I use the VHF, I use the hailer/listen function and I use the automatic fog horn function.

I have an Icom with DSC, GPS and AIS through NMEA 2000 with MMSI programmed. Don't use it. Prefer to stay out of commercial traffic's way and only use the radio as necessary. Basically it's there for an emergency.

Ted

I was hailed by DSC once last season and didn't know how to respond. I read the directions for responding shortly after that to prepare for the next opportunity, but it never happened. I need to review how to respond again before the cruising season.

Greg.

I used DSC to call another boat across the fairway at our marina once. It was funny watching him walk all around the boat trying to figure out where that funny noise was coming from.

Overall, I don't think it's gotten the kind of use the creators envisioned. The problem is that there's no easy way to collect and store MMSI numbers. Maybe a bluetooth connection and a cell phone app to use your existing contact list would help.

Bought a Standard Horizon DSC vhf a few week back on sale.
Installed it, got mmsi and GPS working and that's it.
Eyes glazed over going any further into the 100+ page manual.

Bought a Standard Horizon DSC vhf a few week back on sale.
Installed it, got mmsi and GPS working and that's it.
Eyes glazed over going any further into the 100+ page manual.

As they say, "It is intuitive.." Oh yea, my eyes glaze over twice, I begin to drool and fall over backwards.

Last edited:
Interesting - CaptTom I think you are right on - just based on this limited response today.

Wonder how many Forum members would participate if we set up a "TF Group" MMSI just to play with and learn the system. Would allow members to put out a DSC call for TF members without having to know specific MMSI numbers? Maybe a thread on how to program the radio --- It's intuitive ---- right? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

IMHO DSC is extremely powerful for putting out an effective distress calls. Far more effective than a voice call! Every boat owner should know how to use the system - your tax dollars at work.

PS User manuals are pure crap!

Last edited:
A few years ago, my brother and I had our two GB42s boasting four VHF radios between them moored at my pier and decided to "play DSC." Manufacturers were Uniden and Icom and Standard Horizon. Manuals in hand we programmed our MMSIs and began to do the bridge to bridge calling. The Icom would not play completely well with the others. It was something like it could call out but would not sound and alert and sound the incoming call. Once under way on a trip, we used the DSC a few times, but after a while, we tacitly changed back to the traditional voice call on 16. If the other didn't respond in a reasonable time, DSC would alert him to get on the radio. IMHO DSC has rather limited usefulness in this scenario. I also used DSC when contacting tows on the rivers using the feature on the AIS VHF whereby I selected the tow's AIS icon on the radio's polar display and hit the transmit, a VERY cool radio.

Poll is only good if you put an option that says "never used DSC functions".

IMHO DSC is extremely powerful for putting out an effective distress calls. Far more effective than a voice call! Every boat owner should know how to use the system

Agreed. But isn't the DSC distress call the most idiot proof capability? I don't 'use' DSC, but I have set the MMSI and ensured the unit is getting position data. I know how to activate the distress signal. What else do I need to know?

Not trying to be flippant here. I was excited at the idea of digital calling when I first got the capability, but it hasn't really turned out to be useful for me. But the red button on the radio is valuable for everyone, even if they haven't taken a course or read the manual.

User Manuals are written by hardware and software engineers.
Back in the late 40s and 50s I remember the user manuals written by the Japanese. I doubt if the man or woman they paid to translate the manual had actually tried to speak to any English speaking person. Those manuals were total disasters.
Now, they go into such detail..... it is totally confusing.
To me, the word "intuitive" means, "Dan there is no way you will understand how to use this."

Last edited:
Jeff, at first blush DSC appears to be another gooberment mandated solution - for which there is/was no problem. The emergency aspects are surly better than voice only calls but hardly idiot proof.

Jeff, at first blush DSC appears to be another gooberment mandated solution - for which there is/was no problem. The emergency aspects are surly better than voice only calls but hardly idiot proof.

It provides useful benefits (mostly around the emergency features IMO). It's not so much that it was a solution in search of a problem, more that it's a solution not everyone really had a need for. But it's cheap to include it and if not everyone has at least the ability to receive DSC, it's not very useful for anyone to have it.

The problem it’s trying to solve is ch16 congestion. If you can stand maintaining a radio watch thru the radio checks, stuck mics, and calls for fishing buddies, then not so much advantage.
The DSC model loosely follows 2way public safety radios that have a feature called “SELCALL”. Short for selective call; came out in the late ‘70’s. Even with a common channel, u will not hear calls intended for someone else. Also similar to early paging systems. Solves the issue of chatter on the common/call frequency.
For a boater, AIS is a highly desired feature to allow calling those with otherwise unknown MMSI. Without that, more useful as a buddy call system, where u preload known MMSI. Or, obviously good for emerg calls area wide.
BUT, this obviously competes with cell phones, where u have infrastructure.
Consider, though, a group cruise to the islands out of domestic cell systems. Now u have a way to call and annoy only one other boater at a time[emoji4] without roaming charges!

DSC was a good idea but the implementation made it just about unusable. Each Mfr was allowed to determine their own wiring color codes and their own terminology. A real puzzle for functionality I don't need. How many times am I going to make a group call to multiple boats? And don't get me started on the lame 2 strikes and your out MMSI input scheme.

The EPIRB is within reach.

Last edited:
I listened to a DSC alert a few days ago. My VHF wouldn’t stop squawking and I had to shut it off, then back on (I was at the dock, but getting ready to leave). Second time, same deal and the VHF on 16 was not useable so I shut it off. The CG periodically came on to announce someone in the area activated their DSC, but it appears it was done in error. Sometimes less, is more.

Last edited:
Like many here, I have programmed and understand my DSC radios from the docs but never used the feature.

Yes, I’d push the red button in an emergency situation.

In ham radio we organized ‘nets’, or meetups for local communities and hf long range nets too especially to practice coordinated communications

Has anyone heard of a local DSC net being used to practice use of the feature? Any chance a CG Aux would coordinate something like this?

Otherwise it’s not useful beyond the fated red button

Not really......even small vessel DSC was becoming popular in Europe a decade before the US got started.

Wikipedia

For these reasons, the International Maritime Organization (IMO), a United Nations agency specializing in safety of shipping and preventing ships from polluting the seas, began looking at ways of improving maritime distress and safety communications. In 1979, a group of experts drafted the International Convention on Maritime Search and Rescue, which called for development of a global search and rescue plan. This group also passed a resolution calling for development by IMO of a Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) to provide the communication support needed to implement the search and rescue plan. This new system, which the world's maritime nations are implementing, is based upon a combination of satellite and terrestrial radio services, and has changed international distress communications from being primarily ship-to-ship based to ship-to-shore (Rescue Coordination Center) based. It spelled the end of Morse code communications for all but a few users, such as amateur radio operators. The GMDSS provides for automatic distress alerting and locating in cases where a radio operator doesn't have time to send an SOS or MAYDAY call, and, for the first time, requires ships to receive broadcasts of maritime safety information which could prevent a disaster from happening in the first place. In 1988, IMO amended the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Convention,[3] requiring ships subject to it fit GMDSS equipment. Such ships were required to carry NAVTEX and satellite EPIRBs by August 1, 1993, and had to fit all other GMDSS equipment by February 1, 1999. US ships were allowed to fit GMDSS in lieu of Morse telegraphy equipment by the

I use it quite a bit sending/receiving buddy boat positions when headed to and while in the Bahamas. I am surprised more folks, incl coast guard don't use when sending out and relaying pan-pans and maydays. I can never write down the GPS coords fast enough to be able to put them in a MFD to see how far away the boat needing help is. If the coords were transmitted using DSC I'm sure more people would respond. I've never used it to call someone, just track them.

I can see, many of us need to find a school to learn about DSC.
Put my name on the top of the list assuming the class is not at a major boat show.

I don't know if a school would help. Far more helpful, I think, would be an app. Or any way to easily maintain a contact list of MMSI numbers associated with names.

Keying MMSI numbers into the VHF radios I've used just isn't practical. People don't even type in phone numbers any more. You get someone to call your cell phone, then "save as a contact." You never even need to know their number.

Until VHF radios can do the same thing (or connect to an app that can do it) I don't see them getting much use by the casual boater.

DSC MMSI use

I don't know if a school would help. Far more helpful, I think, would be an app. Or any way to easily maintain a contact list of MMSI numbers associated with names.

Keying MMSI numbers into the VHF radios I've used just isn't practical. People don't even type in phone numbers any more. You get someone to call your cell phone, then "save as a contact." You never even need to know their number.

Until VHF radios can do the same thing (or connect to an app that can do it) I don't see them getting much use by the casual boater.

Tom, most DSC radios provide a very similar function as you cell phone. You can key Names & MMSI into the rados directory (contact file). Like your cell, you can then select a boat and make an individual DSC call, position request or send position.

And, Like the "call history" on your cell, your DSC radio has a call log. You can view the log and initiate a call from the log using the MMSI from the log, never having to enter the name/MMSI manually - just like your cell!

What I haven't found is a way to copy data from the "log" to the "directory". I have a call into Standard Horizon on that subject.

Last edited:
Further - you can use the "All Ships" safety mode to send your Name/mmsi data to all ships with in range. Once you have exchanged DSC data and have it in the log, things get simple.

Another interesting feature is the "polling" or "tracking" mode, Once you have a ships MMSI - you can use the "polling" mode to request periodic position reports, there by tracking the boat over time - my radio will track 4 boats simultaneously - and its all automatic - on both ends.

It also post those position reports on the chart plotter.

There is another use for DSC not mentioned in the poll -- group calling. Very handy for stuff like YC cruises and wolf pack fishing trips. DSC is especially convenient in combination with AIS, where it can be used to hail an AIS contact directly instead of by name. One time as I was about 60 miles offshore, near Navy war games, I heard the navy repeatedly trying to hail a commercial cruise ship. After about 10 minutes, the cruise ship answered and followed Navy instructions to alter course. The cruise ship's new course was a collision course with mine, although we were still 4 - 5 miles apart. Rather than trying to hail the cruise ship (though, in fairness, they may have started to listen to their radio), I made a direct DSC call to it, which was promptly answered (it is hard to ignore the radio's alert tone). Very handy.

I use the GPS/AIS out on my Standard Horizon to feed my primary nav system, Coastal Explorer on a laptop. There is a secondary unit, an older SH combination VHF/plotter. Both have the red button, which I very much appreciate and find comforting; Donna is much more comfortable knowing that feature exists in the event that I am incapacitated, as am I in the event of a catastrophic vessel casualty.

I have to agree with the prevailing view that routine use of DSC is far too complicated for the vast majority of users. It's easy to initiate such a call from the AIS screen, but entering MMSI numbers manually is a non-starter and managing the radio's contact list is a PITA.

I have heard several actual actuations of emergency calls, and they reinforce the usefulness of the technology. Cell phones, however, are a couple of generations ahead in being accessible and user friendly in making calls. Until VHF manufacturers address the user interface, the potential of DSC will likely remain untapped.

Tom, most DSC radios provide a very similar function as you cell phone. You can key Names & MMSI into the rados directory (contact file). Like your cell, you can then select a boat and make an individual DSC call, position request or send position.

Agreed, BUT... Those options are nowhere near as easy to use as a cell phone. Most radios have neither a proper keypad nor a high-resolution display, so it's a lot of taps to enter anything. Just finding the option in the menu can be a challenge on many radios.

I'm hoping newer generation radios start making the menus and displays more like a cell phone. Maybe some already do. But typically the UI on marine devices are primitive compared to other consumer technology.

I suspect this is one of the reasons most people don't bother with any of the MMSI options.

Back
Top Bottom